It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

invasion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
ok i was reading my ufo book and came across a section dealing with invasions. anyway it said that in "1938, people all over America panicked when a radio suggested that martians were invading.

ok now i think that the government might have payed or told the radio station to do this just to see how the public would react if something like this was to happen and also to see if the government should tell the people about aliens or if they are just not ready yet, just a therory

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ned316 "1938, people all over America panicked when a radio suggested that martians were invading.

That was the War of the Worlds.
Orson Welles got in major trouble for that prank.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Yep...War Of The Worlds......(the remake is starring Tom Cruise now playing)

Was a radio play.......it was very realistic however! There were radio actors, acting as news reporters watching the world be invaded!
I think some people actually commited suicide out of fear!(I may be wrong there)
People were definatly running in the streets screaming it was so realistic and scarey!
Yep...Ol' Orson got in heaps 'O' trouble for that 'radio play'...........

He terrorized the nation with that 'show', alot of people thought it was a real happening.

[edit on 20-7-2005 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
Yep...War Of The Worlds......(the remake is starring Tom Cruise now playing)

Was a radio play.......it was very realistic however! There were radio actors, acting as news reporters watching the world be invaded!
I think some people actually commited suicide out of fear!(I may be wrong there)
People were definatly running in the streets screaming it was so realistic and scarey!
Yep...Ol' Orson got in heaps 'O' trouble for that 'radio play'...........

He terrorized the nation with that 'show', alot of people thought it was a real happening.

[edit on 20-7-2005 by theRiverGoddess]

I think it would be the same today - perhaps dismissed quicker - courtesy of TV, however your doomsdayers, Ramon 'I need real help' Watkins types would feed off it - let alone people helplessly caught up in the their lives.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 03:02 AM
link   
There is a realaudio recording of the original broadcast here

The script is available here.

top topics

join