It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

24,865 Iraqi Civilians Reported Dead Since 2003. (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
A new report from a British-American advocacy group counts 24,865 Iraqi civilians dead. The 25-page report also says the number of wounded is estimated at 42,500 and approximately 12,500 more injuries have gone unrecorded.
Crime has shot up since the invasion. Criminal murder has risen 20 times compared to pre-2003 numbers.

www.nytimes.com
LONDON, July 19 - Almost 25,000 Iraqi civilians were killed in the two years since the United States-led invasion of the country, more than a third by American forces, according to a report released Tuesday that is sure to stir debate.

The report, by a London-based group called Iraq Body Count, is a statistical tally of civilian deaths reported in the news media. In all, the researchers counted 24,865 civilians killed since the invasion of Iraq began in March 2003, almost half of them in Baghdad alone, with another large segment in Falluja.

There is no definitive account of how many civilians have died in Iraq, and the issue has long been contentious. Antiwar campaigners contend that the Bush administration and the Pentagon have deliberately avoided body counts so as to play down the toll the occupation has taken on Iraqis, while supporters of the war question the accuracy of the counts.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The report also breaks down who has been doing the killing.
* U.S. and allied forces: 37 per cent
* Criminal attacks: 36 per cent
* "Unknown agents" attacking non-military targets: 11 per cent
* "Anti-occupation" forces: Nine per cent

The cost of civilian life is a high one. Before civilian death estimates were ranging wildly from 10,000 to 100,000. These numbers are important, this means approximately one in every 1,000 Iraqis has been killed since March 2003.

Related News Links:
www.ctv.ca
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 20/7/2005 by Umbrax]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   
That really puts things in perspective, that breakdown of percentage wise who kills the most Iraqi citizens. Occupation forces are a percentage point deadlier than criminals, and 4 times deadlier than the resistance. That's incredible when you consider the news slant quite the opposite.

Once again, the media has fundamentally misrepresented something, failing to give adequate context to keep people from jumping to conclusions.

Or is that what just happened again, here?

I'm not sure to tell the truth...

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I've found a pdf of the full report.
iraq_deaths_report.pdf

It goes into great detail. Number of death in what cities, age, and who did the killings.

The numbers were arrived by going over 10,000 news reports. And the statistics do not include the past 4 months where bombings have been at their worst.

[edit on 20/7/2005 by Umbrax]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Call me silly, but i do not beleive death of Iraqi's is that low. Some reports i've heard of (sorry, no links) have put it at close to 100,000 civilians.
Is it true? i dont know. Its quite possible.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Also a Debate Going on in This Thread.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Look up the debunked Lancet Report, dgtempe.
That will fit into the numbers you 'desperately' deem is more realistic.

seekerof

[edit on 20-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
25,000 is a large enough citizen death toll. The number comes from the news reports of the past two years. Who knows how many didn't make it to a news report. Probably not enough to bring the count to 100,000, but the real number is probably higher than 25,000.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   

That really puts things in perspective, that breakdown of percentage wise who kills the most Iraqi citizens. Occupation forces are a percentage point deadlier than criminals, and 4 times deadlier than the resistance. That's incredible when you consider the news slant quite the opposite.

I do not look at it the same as you do Wyrde.

The report also breaks down who has been doing the killing.
* U.S. and allied forces: 37 per cent Friendly forces=37 percent.

* Criminal attacks: 36 per cent None friendly
* "Unknown agents" attacking non-military targets: 11 per cent None friendly

* "Anti-occupation" forces: Nine per cent None friendly

=56 percent killed by none friendly forces; note there is 7% missing that alone skews the figures. The report also states they intentionally used the higher figures which could account for even more errors.

Then consider the source a known activists group who is known to fabricate figures and Ooooops more intentional errors that they left out

[emp in quote are mine]

new topics

top topics

join