It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Nominates Roberts for Supreme Court

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
After the news that Sandra Day O'Connor would retire within the coming weeks (to spend time with her husband who has recently fallen ill), the current President has announced John Roberts to replace her.

It is an interesting set of developments, as he was not one of the hot favourites however he has seen to be a Judge who would uphold the law set down by Congress.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - President Bush named federal appeals court judge John G. Roberts Jr. to a seat on the Supreme Court Tuesday, delighting Republicans while unsettling some Democrats with the selection of a young jurist with impeccable conservative credentials.

ADVERTISEMENT

"John Roberts has devoted his entire professional life to the cause of justice," Bush said in a prime-time announcement at the White House, "and is widely admired for his intellect his sound judgment and his personal decency."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

50 year old John Roberts is to me a shock candidate and one who I have yet to see mentioned however it is a smart move by the Republicans. At 50 years of age, he is still very young and will be able to sit in the Supreme Court for many years to come. Being able to "help" the Republican Party while the Democrats are even in office.

Related News Links:
www.palmbeachdailynews.com
news.yahoo.com

[edit on 19/7/2005 by Odium]

[edit on 24-7-2005 by asala]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I was hoping Bush was going ot opt for a more o'conner like moderate conservative. INstead he nominates a chip off the ol bush block, and someone who was appiointed by Bush Sr. and regected becasue he was to extreme, but later nominated by Bush jr in 2001 for the position he now holds.

Pro-corperate at the expense of the enviroment, and Anti-aborition.

Truely a sad day

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Not a sad day. Seem like a logical choice. Don't be fooled or misled by the media's dubious knowledges of Judge John Roberts. Just because he's anti-abortion conservative with a pro-corporate bent doesn't mean squat to me, just as long as his opinions on judicial rulings and other legal interpretations swing across the political spectrum on legal and constitutional grounds and not restrict himself to only conservative views. Not every conservative judge stay too conservative in all opinions or rulings.

[edit on 7/19/2005 by the_oleneo]

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Already discussed here
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

new topics

join