It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save Yourself: Skippy’s compilation of tips to keep your family alive WHEN the terrorists attack

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Contentious
As you have all been focused on the events taking place around the world resting so comfortably in your "freedom" , somehow EVERYbody over looked the FORMALDEHYDE attack that your own Sec. of Defense launched against US more than 25 years ago.

Dude, every thread. Every thread you go off on the formaldehyde/aspartame thing. We get it. We understand that you believe we are being poisoned intentionally every day by deadly, frosty diet beverages and what not. Thank you for the heads up, but how is it terrorism? Shouldn't you express this view in another forum here? The government is not threatening to make us drink diet Pepsi in order to terrorize us, so it just isn't on topic...

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Lets stick to the topic and not try to derail it with a totally different subject

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   
If we are back to the topic at hand, there is one important item missing from the original list by skippy -- a large supply of plastic bags you would use to urinate/poop in. If you are to be stuck in a cellar for a month, might as well think about this aspect of your personal hygiene. You don't want to squat in the midst of radioactive wasteland covered in smoldering cinders, do you.

[edit on 18-4-2006 by Aelita]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Skippy are you talking about our American shadow gov. when you say "WHEN the terrorists attack? Because they have attacked us in the past and will attack us again.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Removed off topic post

[edit on 18-4-2006 by Amuk]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Removed off topic post

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
removed off topic post

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I am not telling yall again...I will be giving out warns.

This is not about aspartame but survival supplies

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Wow. What a weird thread. Started just before what our media is trying to make us Brits think of as "7/7" (at least it happened on a date we didn't have to worry about US vs UK date conventions), then nothing for 9 months, and now hauled out again. Where has it been?

Skippy, don't know if you'll ever read this, but carrying a gas mask would have done those poor devils on the Tube no good at all. Now either the attack was a real one done by disaffected Muslims or it was a false-flag psyop. Either way, a government that hadn't caved in to US pressure and helped invade Iraq would have helped ensure that the attack didn't happen. It's not that I hate the US or its citizens, but the war is illegal and both the US and UK intel services predicted a backlash.

And in the UK we lived with the possibility of terrorist attacks (from the IRA, who were sponsored by US citizens) for YEARS and we remained pretty stoical throughout.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
It's good to be prepared, just in case. Tomorrow is April 19th and allot of bad things seemed to have happened on that day. Waco, OKC bombing, There are others but I can't remember them offhand.

I say go with the boyscout motto: Be prepared.

Now I have to go back and finish reading this thread to make sure I am

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Having lived through several serious earthquakes, I believe that preparation is key to safe survival.

I don't think that being prepared for an event is paranoia at all. Preparation is not paranoia. It's looking at things realistically, taking steps to assist you and your family through a potentially really rough time, and then leaving it go unless/until it happens. In my area, an earthquake can strike at any time...and so I am prepared...but I also don't think every time a heavy truck goes by and rattles the house that it's the big one, you know?

Skippy, thanks for the thread. Hope it helps someone, either now or later...

Best-
Aimless

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Of course, some group labelled as "terrorists" will strike in the future. The future is boundless as far as we are concerned. But, the problem is, the threat of terrorism is NOT an immediate threat. You're more likely to get murdered by your local gang then some arbitrary "terrorist attack."

Even so, I guess there is a certain excitement in preparing for a terrorist attack. Sort of like the thrill of mystery when preparing for an incoming hurricane.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
This is not about aspartame but survival supplies

Sorry Amuk, I just find it impossible not to respond sometimes even though I know it will get me in trouble. Damned stubborn pride.

As far as supplies go, I think it's also important to have some decent firepower for all those who may try and rob others for their survival goods. If the crap hit the fan, things wouldn't be pretty, as we saw in New Orleans.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
*removed off topic post*

[edit on 19-4-2006 by Amuk]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
A trip to the local Army surplus wouldn't hurt either.

I am goign this weekend- California is due for another quake- so I am going to get some MRE's I have been slowly adding to my emergency collection. Lots of water- last quake parts of LA were without water for 3 weeks (Northridge).

Antiradiation pills- Potassium Iodate stops the thyroid from absorbing crap- not likely going to help worth a damn due to the fact you should start taking it a week before fallout.

Fire extinguisher- always helps unless its jet fuel.
Rope- lots of ideas come to mind!

Lots of Ammo- the good stuff.

Crow bar and shovel aren't bad ideas either.

good post for any type of crap event. I bet most people in new orleans wish they had these items to fend off the thirst, hunger, the mobs of ignorant looters (Crowd pleasing shot gun comes to mind)

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Call me crazy but I think its impossible for a civilian to adequately and successfully prepare for a terrorist attack. Cities are terror targets not suburbia. Your average urbanite lives in an apartment and probably is pressed for space. I know I don't have room for gallons of water and months worth of emergency rations. Also I'm not overly confident in my abilities to completely turn my humble abode into an airtight fortress of solitude. I don't care how much much duct tape and plastic sheeting I have available the odds of me turning my apartment into a clean room capable of withstanding a chemical or biological emergency are pretty slim.

Also what are the odds of this emergency occuring when I am home? Odds are I'll be at work on my way to work or on my way home. Having a huge cache of supplies available at home doesn't really help me much when I am miles away trapped in a subway car somewhere.

The only things I can think of that would be practical in the event of emergency is a flashlight and a sturdy knife (perhaps a leatherman tool). Things you can carry on you at all times and I guarantee they won't only be useful in the event of emergencies.

Everthing else is wishful thinking in my opinion.
Except for an emergency radio, even though it'll probably be safe at home while your fighting for survival miles away, its a good thing to have in general. Plus the windup ones are just cool you can even charge your cellphone off of some of them

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Keep some MRE's and a gallon of water in your trunk. If you need to didi quick you can do it without stopping. Gas? will be gone quick or lines will keep you trapped in the city while chaos ensues BTDT. Shotgun is the best mix buck and slug and use pistol grip for ease of movement. I can shoot a pistol grip slug just as well as with a stock - milk jug 100 yrds baby. Got an SKS, AK, or Armalite? I prefer the gauge over them all. Carry knife at all times (leatherman good suggestion). You will find you can have more success picking up stuff as you go rather than barricading yourself in a kill zone. Barricade = slow stressful death.

Trapped in the city?

Rally neighbors, friends quickly and utilize their resources. Setup perimeter to establish not only thieving deterrent but also constant flux with those passing on info. You will find in a crap ball situation that the ol' timers are not going anywhere and generally the youngsters will hang around their pad attracting more youngsters which means strength in numbers which you can control BTDT. The youngsters will also bring food and supply which you control. Those who have the weapons have the power and attracts those who wish to survive - they will provide your substance and you provide their security. One thing is for certain you will need to KATN or your just another chump,

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Skippy,

Good post. Terrorist or no terrorist, having emergency supplies in your home and car is not a bad idea. I'm sure those that mocked you will be the first to try and steal what they need when hard times come. If there had never been a 9/11 or terrorists, having a few simple items would still be a good idea. In fact is is just plain irresponsible not to have them. Even in the event of a protracted power outage these supplies would come in handy.

Problem is many people seem to think that taking care of there basic needs is either the government’s responsibility or someone else’s. They seem to believe someone else will always be there for them. That’s a reasonable expectation if you are a dependant child, but utter nonsense it you’re an adult. If you have children you are responsible for it’s downright criminal to not at least have what you might need to care for your family in a natural disaster.

It does not matter where you live either (I’m referring to the US as it’s my point of reference). East coast = hurricanes, storm surges, nor’easters and killer floods. Middle America = tornadoes, hailstorms and floods. Rocky Mountain States = Blizzards, spring floods, wildfires and windstorms. West Coast = Earthquakes, volcanoes, wildfires, tsunami’s and terrible rain storms. Alaska = Volcanoes, tsunamis, earthquakes and killer winter storms. And I am sure; many other possibilities. Ask yourself, if there is a power outage tomorrow and they tell you that it may last for a week or more, how will you care for your children, families and elderly?

I spent a few years in a small isolated mountain town in Idaho. I received a real lesson in just how naïve I was about these things. Once or twice every winter the valley would get snowed in for a couple of days and on rare occasion a week or so. The town had two grocery stores. By day three the shelves are empty of anything useful. The gasoline and nearly every other type of available fuel including coal was gone by day 2. Just keeping warm turned into a full time job.

I now keep basic supplies for about two weeks at all times. I assume there will be no electricity or fuel available. My little survival kit fits in the pantry and a corner of the garage and cost very little. It has already paid off once and I have no doubt I’ll need it again. During a three day power outage, while everyone else sat in the dark and went without heat, we were very comfortable and had light, heat and hot food. You don’t understand how important those things are until they are not available.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
"Not available" is the key phrase. I don't mind a barbecue in the rain under a poncho or sleeping in a lean to while the wild swarms aorund you, however not everyone can say that, or know what to do for a matter of keeping warm, eating and drinking. I laugh when the rain pours and watch the humans scatter as if they will melt. Umbrella?

Here is another hot tip always carry a sheet of plastic in your trunk or keep in your garage etc... This simple sheet of plastic can gather water in a dug out hole, stop blood flow, and insure survival in the most hostile of lands. Everyone will do what they need to do to survive, more often those who are used to the pain of cold and wet and enjoy such (out of necessity) are the ones who generally lead the pony show.

Ex

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Awwwwwwwww

None of the links in the orginal post are there.

I was looking for something in the way of advice,
if you live in a city, and transportation would be at a standstill.

Short of digging a hole in the backyard..........
and stuffing everyone in.

Ideas???

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join