It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save Yourself: Skippy’s compilation of tips to keep your family alive WHEN the terrorists attack

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by syntaxer
Are you referring to the same condom that I've had in my wallet since my freshman year in College?

I have a feeling that condom has never been used and never will be.

Look, I live in earthquake/riot country (Los Angeles) and when you have a family depending on you, it makes good sense to be prepared. Im not sure why you and paperclip bothered posting your smart-a** remarks, but its good common sense to be ready for any disaster.

Maximu§

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by csulli456
I was wondering how long it would take the liberals to chime in and change the entire meaning of this post.
Nonetheless, excellent post Skippy, I appreciate it.

Whatever do you mean?

Please explain

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I am a little suprised the "haters" would use a PRODUCTIVE thread of this nature to spread thier agendas of hate.

I guess I will never understand hatred so deep, and I am glad for that.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus

Originally posted by syntaxer
Are you referring to the same condom that I've had in my wallet since my freshman year in College?

I have a feeling that condom has never been used and never will be.

Well yeah, I hope that condom has never been used if it's still in his wallett....that's puts a whole new spin on recycleing eh!!!...

I try to stay prepared. I have the 30 day supply of food/water, the gas mask and all the little goodies.....better safe than sorry. I have it all in one place and will probably never have to use it...I actually forgot about it until now, just a few hours of stocking and a few bucks of food and water might come in handy oneday.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
In the past seven years, I have lived in earthquake, tornado, and hurricane prone areas. I have MREs, water, sterno, plastic bags, duct tape, flashlights, batteries, a wind up radio, weapons, ammo, first aid kit and just about anything else you can think of. These are just things you have on hand in case of emergency. We also have an inflatable boat in case of flooding. Good Post man.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
It is just common sense to have an emergency kit in your home. You should keep a kit in your vehicle as well. You never know where or when disaster will strike.

Also, for the pet lovers, don't forget to stock some food for your furry friend.

I'm fully stocked up and waiting for an earthquake.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
I am a little suprised the "haters" would use a PRODUCTIVE thread of this nature to spread thier agendas of hate.

I guess I will never understand hatred so deep, and I am glad for that.

Productive? What exactly is the thread producing?

Come on, skippy... you really think your creative use of capital letters in the thread's title went unnoticed? Pot? Kettle? Black?

Allow me to explain something, in the spirit of productivity. I've spent most of my life living in moderately terror prone and/or islamic areas. I've learned one thing, above all, is your most important asset in coping with terror. State of mind.

You cannot live your life believing that the next terror attack is just around the corner. By all means, be prepared and buy your supplies. But the whole thing falls apart regardless of what you know or have if you are going to assume that the terrorists ARE going to attack you.

Frankly, I think this is a good post. It's more the way you've presented it that bugs me, rather than the content. I just think that people need to be reassured, rather than alarmed.

-koji K.

[edit on 19-7-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
This is one of my favorites, BTW:

"If you see a nuclear blast, walk the other way."

Good advice.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Actually Masked Avatar's makes sense...

Lots of people keep some emergency supplies. Don't do what someone I know did, though. Kept the stock of spare food in a really hot shed for 2 years before they thought about rotating the stock. All the food got spoiled in the heat. A hole in the ground, or more likely a basement closet, also known to the old-fashioned as a "root cellar" is a better idea for a fair storage spot. Keeps the apples and taters fresher longer. And canned goods, too.

Some folks such as Mormons have networks of food buying such that you can buy 50-100 lbs of flour or corn or cornmeal or oats, etc., at a time. Whole or natural food stores may or may not hook you up.

The maintenance people in about any building stock paper masks. So do hardware stores, etc. As well as paper suits! You could use a few for painting the house or halloween or something and keep a few extra stashed away. Hospital and medical supply stores can supply surgical grade masks as well as first-aid supplies.

The serious suggestions above such as fuel and propane and battery powered radios and flashlights are all good ideas also.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
There's several free shelters that are planning to open in the event of a nuclear incident. I would cut out the middleman and build your own though. There are plenty of places to get plans for such an endeavor.

I would highly reccomend lamp oil and sterno and such, along with propane and gasonline. Just store them appropriately.
Or you might not make it to see the apocalypse.

Rope, clean water in opaque containers (50 gallon drums work well as long as they're suitable for potables.)

If you can afford it, buy two sets of heavy work overalls, one in the correct size, and one that's too big for you, but fits snugly over the other. If you have to move around in a fallout zone, you want as much material between you and the dust as possible.

Candles and lots of of matches. An extra pair of heavy duty boots. Bandanas and scarves, for first aid and face protection. Everybody should own a pair of welding or ski goggles. Consider style, you don't want to look like some prick from aspen when living mad max style.

Everybody should have a bangstick, scuba divers may know more about this, but an internet search should do it. And plenty of reloads.

A bow or crossbow is a good idea, because ammunition WILL be scarce. If the country does shut down and there's a run on the supermarkets, it might be hard to find food. A sling or slingshot is a good idea as well, because unlike bows, they don't require speciailized ammunition. Practice!

A bicycle is a good bet, and extra tires.

Think about goods suitable for barter, and stock up on those especially. Things like batteries, powerbars, bottled water, clean hankerchiefs, MREs, canteens, socks, and the list goes on.

There's several good lists available online.

One more thing everybody should have is a bug-out bag. Keep a backpack or satchel filled with a few days worth of essentials and local area maps somewhere near the door. If you get word that you have to MOVE, it helps to be able to do so in a timely fashion. I for one would feel pretty silly looking for clean socks with a nuke inbound.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Aluminium foil is good for blocking most kinds of radiation (Alpha and Beta). Not alot you can do about Gamma Rays unless you where a lead suit, mind you.

So use the two boiler suit idea, but in-between, wrap yourself in foil.

Not that I buy into this paranoid crap, but I know how to survive.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Protecting your potato chips from radiation is your LEAST worry when you are dealing with RADIATION !

Theres a good chance that by the time you find out after such incidents, its too late.

While its nice to be prepared, its stupid to live in fear.

Keeping a face mask in your back pocket.... lmao thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard, not because of the paranoia, well partially that, but mostly because if its not a proper face mask, theres no point. Might as well put a sock over your mouth.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
BTW hording supplies for years ahead of the disaster is also basically useless as most will "spoil" in some way shape or form.

Gasoline doesnt keep forever, neither do batteries etc.

On another note, a devilish one, it would be hilarious to watch the survival instincts of the modern urbanite !

[edit on 19-7-2005 by Dulcimer]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Good advice, especially the plastic sheeting and duct tape. In a radiation zone this won't mean jack, but in biological it could save your life while you escaped the affected area.

Knowledge of how to fire a handgun is very beneficial, especially for women. Keep in mind you could be taken as a hostage, and if it comes down to one point where you can grasp a gun or knife you have about three seconds to use it. Also you could be in a situation where there was a bombing compared to 911, or in Russia, and you were near a dead officer, who's gun you could use. That's cryptic, but a possibility. Also if you need to use a knife on a perp who is intent on killing hostages, rush him, and stab, stab, stab prison style. The "rush" tactic of knife attack is the best defense and offense if this is your only weapon.

If you don't own a handgun you can rent them at a firing range real cheap and practice. Rent a .40cal a 9mm, and a .45 to get the feel of the difference in firing. This is just another tool to be able to use in a situation yo didn't want to be in.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I can see it now.... people sealing themselves in rooms with plastic and tape.

"hey how much air is in here?"

*silence*

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
This is one of my favorites, BTW:

"If you see a nuclear blast, walk the other way."

Good advice.

-koji K.

And in the case of schools... if you see nuclear blast, hide under your desk!

btw, Main and Broadway... is this from Toronto? lol

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

Speaking for myself, I have no agenda of hatred or war.

Abuse of the baser human tendencies towards hate and fear and terror is the domain of the criminal gang inhabiting the Whitehouse. Face up to it.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Anyone ever see the brilliant "Duck and cover" instructional series for children produced during the Cold War era?

Propaganda at its black humor funniest.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
ill just build a huge base under my house bout 1,000 ft deep. Titanium metal all around it but i dont have the money someone plz spare some change lol

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Seriously, you guys are way too serious. All of ya'z.

In case of a serious case of Acute Seriousness click this link.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join