It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non-partisan for Young Adults to begin airing (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
A new 24 hour news/information channel, dubbed "Current" will begin airing on cable nextworks. The channel, whose audience will be an 18-34 audience, is the brain child of former Vice-President and Presidential candidate Al Gore.

apnews.myway.com
"I think the reality of the network will speak for itself. It's not intended to be partisan in any way," said Gore, Current's co-founder (with businessman Joel Hyatt) and chairman of the board.

Aimed at an 18-34-year-old audience, Current has loftier goals in mind than party politics: Gore said it will engage young people in the "dialogue of democracy" by providing stories that interest them, and will involve them in the channel's content. The young staff of reporters, producers and hosts includes Gotham Chopra, son of self-help guru Deepak Chopra and Laura Ling (Channel One News, MTV).

Preparing to launch Current in 20 million homes on DirecTV, Time Warner Cable and Comcast in limited markets "has been a blast," Gore said. The five-year plan calls for it to reach 50 million homes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If accomplished i believe that this news network would be a better choice than those already out there. As a member of the audience demographic that this network is trying to reach, I feel somewhat disenfranchised by the news that is currently on television.

I rarely even watch TV much less the news that is on it. My main outlets are either ATSNN or Drudgereport.com. The young people of our nation are slowly pulling away from the hunger for stability in our government and protection of their own rights. They complain and never try to change. Asking a teenager or even college student to tell you what the biggest news story these days is like asking their parents what Eminem's real name is.

They have become lazy and disinterested with what is theirs. Those out there who do participate politically and take charge of their civil liberties I applaud. Those who lack the will to do so, I offer you this: Those who take charge can have some chance of success, even with failure you still know that you made an effort. Those who lack the urge to take charge...the future is no longer yours but in the hands of another.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Great idea but a little dubious when its an ex-Democratic Vice President's brain child. Not that its impossible for it to be non-partisan but its got a lot to prove right out of the bag because of it.

Here's hoping it works out, Lord knows we need it

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Who knows? Maybe i will actually start watching TV news again. Ling did a good job when i saw her in high school, but you never know. You can't just a news organization by a reporter.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Another thing i wonder....will this spawn some neocon news networks geared to young people? Instead of reality TV being the fad, (Which i hope will finally disappear) maybe designer news is what will be the "new thing".

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Neo-con news channel? Thats FOX isnt it?

Britain recently outlawed FOX hunting....OMG its a conspiracy!!!

[edit on 20/7/05 by subz]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I think Fox however is a channel that is for the already neo-cons especially the one's trying to impress their parents so they will still pay for their freeloading in college. The one i was talking about is a newage version that will try to popularize news to make them swing right the way MTV's choose or lose tried to do but in the opposite direction. Vote or Die? jeez, puffy. Whatever happened to those who have no clue not voting or not choosing the lesser of two evils. We still got screwed by people doing that.

new topics

top topics

join