It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey, why is my water fizzy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I noticed it about 2 weeks ago.
I was filling a 3 gallon water tank for my dogs.
Once I got the jug filled, I noticed the water was cloudy with bubbles.
I could actualy hear it making a fizzing sound.

Same with all the faucets, the water is cloudy, and takes a few minutes to clear. The whole time, it sounds like a soda , just opened.

I've had homes where the faucets had aerators, and it looked a little like what I see now. But not nearly as much..

Has my water supplier changed tactics? Are they ozonating or something?
I've lived here 5 years..Haven't changed any plumbing since then..

MY wife blamed it on me, of course..says she noticed it right after I worked
on my drip watering system..All I did there was change a few sprinkler heads, I do that every year..

I'd appreciate any clues anyone might have..

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I had that in my old apartment but haven't noticed it where I live now (just a few blocks away).

I really have no idea what it is, but I don't think it's dangerous.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Yeah, it doesn't smell or anything.

I wonder though, why it changed all the sudden?
If it was k\like this when I moved in, I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

Maybe I should call public works, see what they have to say..

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Spoke to my husband and he said it has to do with an opening of a main water pipe that has broken or damaged and this causes air bubbles in the pipes and the water to be cloudy ...nothing to be concerned about.

helen

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Ive had the same thing at home, never really thought about it, just let the tap run until it stopped, it didnt taste fizzy though, just kind of chalky.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   
This is strange indeed. In my city, we are supposed to get pure oregon watershed water. Its from a pure cascade mountian watershed. Well last year the water started to have bubbles...and is "fizzy".Strange,,especially since we are suppoded to have the most pure water in the U.S??

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
Spoke to my husband and he said it has to do with an opening of a main water pipe that has broken or damaged and this causes air bubbles in the pipes and the water to be cloudy ...nothing to be concerned about.

helen

That could be. I wonder why it would last over two weeks though?
sometimes , when they open the Hydrants for flushing, the water quality will change..We usually get a warning notice though..

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   

We usually get a warning notice though..

Where I live, we usually get a notice if they are going to be doing something to the pipes that may affect our water, but sometimes we find out after the fact (usually through the news, but sometimes we get a letter weeks after) if it was an unexpected occurance, like a water pipe break. Also, during the summer, the city opens up fire hydrants for kids to play in around the city, and since it is done every year, we don't get a notice. I guess the city expects everyone to know about this since they do it every year.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by helen670

helen

Not quite nothing to be concerned about. That cloudiness is more than water.
I ran my PUR faucet filter after a water main fix, but before the water cleared. It caused the filter to reach past its prime---had to replace it. It also gummed up our showerhead.

BTW, "I" wouldn't drink it.

~~~~~~~
@spacedoubt

Is their a local govt agency that does your water?
Maybe a call to them would answer your concerns????

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
I noticed it about 2 weeks ago.
I was filling a 3 gallon water tank for my dogs.
Once I got the jug filled, I noticed the water was cloudy with bubbles.
I could actualy hear it making a fizzing sound.

Same with all the faucets, the water is cloudy, and takes a few minutes to clear. The whole time, it sounds like a soda , just opened.

It could be a bunch of nanites...use to clean up the water for public safety....since fluoride seem to be less efficient in doing so...

The fizzy sound could the nanites communicating between each...

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
nanites!
I hadn't thought of that..
I must learn to communicate with them..

Actually, I found an answer..

More gasses can dissolve into cold water, than into hot.
( I actually knew this as a kid, I made ice cubes from hot tap water
and challenged my parents to make nice clear cubes like I could)

We had a HUGE snowfall last winter, all our water comes from snowmelt.
Our water reserves are more full this year, than in a lot of previous years.
This stored water is much colder, due to the sheer volume of it. (more dissolved gasses.)
This water is pressurized, and sent to all the homes in the neighborhood.
On my end, the water begins warming as it sits in the pipes and water heater.
It wants to release the dissolved gasses, but can't)
Once the faucet is opened, the pressure is relieved, the gasses come out of solution (Effervescence).
Topping it all off, we were in a pretty good string of days over
100 degrees F..So it was exaggerated even more.

So there ya go...case closed..
Thanks for all the responses.!

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Case of the old bubbly eh? Well yea you are right about the gases ... same thing happens with a bottle of coca-cola, you will get alot more fizz when you open a warm bottle than if you open a cold one for the same reason.

It can also be other sources ... if you live in an area with hard water you will have more minerals deposited into the tap, which can interact with dissolved air. If you live on city water they additionally dissolve flouride and clean the water with other chemicals that can change the nature of the water. If you have a well you should have it checked anyways for contamination once a year or so just to be safe.

In general if you have wierd water it's best to boil it for 5 minutes and then let it cool. That should get rid of anything you might be paranoid about. If you are still paranoid, filtering and adding iodine will remove / kill additional beasties. Then if you are still paranoid some companies are coming out with carbon nanofilters that filter out almost everything. But they are a little expensive ...

new topics

top topics

join