It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rotary launcher on fighter aircraft?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
i was watchin the new trailer movie on Stealth, and i saw the UCAV popping out a rotary launcher with an unbelievable amount of weaponry. i havent seen ani aircraft besides bombers like the B-1 that has that capability so i was wondering if fighter aircraft both manned and unmanned in the future would be carrying rotary launcher. i know the new F-22 does not carry a rotary launcher but a standard launcher just for 1 missile in each pylon. i figure that maybe putting a rotary launcher is not possible for it would have to make a fighter aircraft bigger, like having a bigger stomach, also too much weigh. in anicase i thought maybe in the future it may be possible.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Greetings,

To be honest, I feel that the only reason they have been employed on bombers and not on fighters, is due to the increased weight that the Rotary launcher itself imposes on the parent aircraft not to mention the increased load on the hydraulic systems onboard.

I suppose that it depends on the requirements of the aircraft also, Rotary launchers allow a wide range of muntions to be carried on its rails without having to get rid of the missile or bomb infront of the weapon you want to launch. As with any thing, it comes down to the aircrafts requirements, for bombers, the ability to carry a wide range of weaponary at the same time means a rotary launcher is a wise choice, with air defence fighters, they are likely to only carry one or two types of missiles during their mission.

Hope that helps a little

- Phil

new topics

join