It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dean Explains the "Western Platform" in Plain English (Democrats ARE Libertarians!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
This is either going to make those in the Libertarian Party very happy or very upset, but it's going to outrage the Republican Party even more and that's something we all can live with.

And we're going to Montana, Utah, Idaho...

Dean's been in the Western states, and being well recieved.

In Montana with 450, converting the Democratic chairman:

"We will promise you a balanced budget, and we will get government out of people's lives," Dean said.

"Republicans say that they are a party of small government, just small enough to fit inside Terri Schiavo's bedroom," Dean said. "Republicans say they're in favor of small government, but they don't mind telling women what they can or cannot do with their health care.

"Whatever happened to the rugged individualism in the Republican Party?" Dean asked. "It is very much alive and well in the Democratic Party."

"Only Democrats balance the budget," Dean said. "You cannot trust Republicans with your taxpayer money. Borrow and spend. Borrow and waste. That's what the Republican Party stands for. We will do better."

...New Montana Democratic Party Chairman Dennis McDonald, of Melville, who had earlier expressed reservations about Dean and said he didn't want photograph taken with him, had a different view after hearing the DNC chairman's speech.

"I loved the positive speech, and I loved the positive message," McDonald said. He added that he told Dean he was honored to get his picture taken with him.

In Utah, the 285-seat auditorium overflowed, filling two other rooms with more than 500 total:

Dean drew some of his biggest applause by defining the Democratic position on abortion.

"I'm tired of Republicans telling us we're pro-abortion. I served on the board of Planned Parenthood for five years. I don't know anybody who's pro-abortion," he said. "Most people in this country would like to see the abortion rate go down. That includes Democrats and Republicans. The difference between the parties is that we believe a woman makes that decision about her health care -- and they believe Tom Delay makes it."

In Idaho, 500 in Boise's Julia Davis Park:

"We didn't quite win in Idaho the last time, but we're not quitting," he said. "People say, 'Why'd you come here? This is a Republican state,' but they're wrong.

"This is a libertarian area. We're going to win on a Western platform next time."

Those are all local links, and there was plenty of local TV coverage as well, if you look through Google, but nothing from the national media outlets, they are content with their Republican-feed meme of Howard Dean and the Democratic Party as the angry Dems. The best thing that Dean can do is continue to ignore DC, and continue to grind away in the states and raise the small donor effort to fund the Democratic Party. He's doing an excellent job. (analysis by Jerome/myDD)

It's a beautiful thing to see a man not falling for Rovian bait traps and falsely framed divides telling it the way it is... Reaching out to rugged, personal responsibility, small government, fiscally responsible, gun loving, libertarian minded individuals disgusted with the pseudo-conservative do-the-opposite rhetoric of the Republican Party.

Go Howard! The Democratic/Libertarian Party is born!!!!!!

Now only neo-con moral authoritarians have an excuse to vote Republican.

[edit on 18-7-2005 by RANT]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
His stance on health care isn't libertarian at all...

I think now he's just grasping at straws...

I like how he gave libertarian's publicity, maybe this will help the part get more recognition... Sad that it doesn't get much, people know they are there, but they think of them as a joke... And that's really sad.

Underneath the enthusiasm and optimism of Dean's speech lay a hint at the new strategy of the Democratic party.

There's the key.... He's still a democrat in the democratic party... And the democratic parties principles are failing them miserably, so now their trying to a tactic to paint themselves as libertarian? not so... maybe on the social issues, but when it comes time to money, he even said he wants health insurance for everyone, where's that money going to come from? That's not a libertarian principle. Higher taxes isn't a libertarian principle.

I'm going ot check out the lp's website see if they got beef with him.

Dean, he's just another dishonest #stick, just like the rest of em.. all of em, dem and rep. sick.

[edit on 23-7-2005 by TrueLies]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
RANT,
Howard Dean is one of the only people in national politics that I like and trust (however somewhat). I would have cast my vote for him for president and that would have made my first vote for a Democrat in any office ever. But he was the true straight shooter in the whole bunch. I admired his bold stance against the war. It cost him. The bought media smeared him with that Dean Scream BS. He was the only candidate to get up there (well, minus Dennis Kucinich, God Bless'im, from Ohio) and denounce the war. He had me from that point on. And I also like his economic policies. He's a fiscal conservative.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Dean says, Dean said, Dean saying...

See spot Run, See Spot ran, See spot Runned...

Dean is spin doctor...cry baby... case...

Until the democrats do something other than waste tax dollars on wellfare and trying to tell me I shouldn't have a say in where my tax money goes, I'll continue witht he Republican card...

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
Until the democrats do something other than waste tax dollars on wellfare and trying to tell me I shouldn't have a say in where my tax money goes, I'll continue witht he Republican card...

Bush increased welfare spending to it's highest level of any president ever. In fact, one of the first few things your Republican president did when he took office was reverse Clinton era reforms to make sure hispanic immigrants could get food stamps.

Your tired old spin about welfare dems just make no sense anymore.

And Truelies, there's no "maybe" to it. On social issues (which this post is obviously about) Democrats are libertarians. As to healthcare, you're using the word "libertarian" like it means "conservative." It doesn't.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Its better than Freak, I mean Frist, Delay and "justice sunday" all righteous and pretty in their supremacy God given right.

Actually he is telling the truth, not sugar coating with "in God will" I wish he target more the corporate buy out.

My, Oh, my where have you been in the last four years, "Wellfare" you said, or you mean corporate priorities, hey I challenge you to read this thread I started but obviously ignored because some rather rant about nonsense than looking at what this administration is really doing with our tax payer dollar.

Here I dare you to coment.

Another blank check for big corporation use of tax payer money.

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   

See member speak..

YOu got any facts/links to back up your assertions?

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

See member speak..

YOu got any facts/links to back up your assertions?

Considering that was pre-Republican Party implosion, I'd be very surprised if he's still sticking with "the Republican card" at all. Or if he is, he's lonely.

[edit on 8-10-2005 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
When the Democrats openly advocate the legalization of all drugs, I'll believe they're libertarians and vote for them. Until then, I'm sticking the Republicans.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Bush increased welfare spending to it's highest level of any president ever. In fact, one of the first few things your Republican president did when he took office was reverse Clinton era reforms to make sure hispanic immigrants could get food stamps.

Your tired old spin about welfare dems just make no sense anymore.

And Truelies, there's no "maybe" to it. On social issues (which this post is obviously about) Democrats are libertarians. As to healthcare, you're using the word "libertarian" like it means "conservative." It doesn't.

'To its highest level ever'. I am sure you have no idea what that means.

Either way, Democrats want taxes, Republicans want taxes. I'd like to get rid of them both, but people are just too much of an ignoramous to think of a way around taxes.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Ok, all you ignorant drones who lashed out against me saying 'Well Republican this that and the other' are a bunch of ignorant drones. I said what I said about wellfare because it is NOT CHARACTERISTIC OF LIBERTARIANS!!! I feel like I am living in the asylum. I said I'll continue to vote Republican for a very different reason....Dean's statement was meant to bash Republicans, not declare Democrats as Libertarians. Guess what? Even the Republicans won't let me have a say in where my tax money goes. It was kindof a joke as well. Wooo WOOO Yaaaa Yeaaaa!!!!!!11

Honestly, in the past 4 or 5 months I have noticed a real lack in brain capacity here at ATS, I am not too sure what it is. Maybe you people are capable of being fooled by Spin Doctors such as Howard Dean.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Ok, all you ignorant drones...

Riiiight. One says this smart like truck.

top topics

join