It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explain life after death......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I know you have probably all heard this question before but i would be very grateful for any views or stories of people with near death experiences. Even the odd scientific explanation would be most welcome. I would also like to know what people think of the chances are of life after death.

I never used to worry about dying and had a few near misses in the military however my life is now a misery as i worry all the time. I think its like this now as i have 2 very young children and life is so great at the moment the idea of losing it all petrifies me.

The "its not if but when" scares the hell out me and i would love to feel re-assured. I aint after points for this one and would be happy with U2Us. but just reply with a post if you want.

Thanks peeps

Cheers for moving this for me Mods i was unsure where to place it. Thanks

[edit on 18-7-2005 by thesaint]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I think at some point in most of our lives that we feel this way, Where death really scares us,

My uncle died young and this made me feel very vulnerable to the world thinking what if?

It scarred me alot as I started thinking about it all the time,

Now, 1 thing I learned from it all, By thinking about it all the time you are almost not living, life is for living don’t fill it with the thoughts of death,

I believe strongly that there is more after death, I am not religious but I have Faith that theirs a heaven (my own opinion) I have experienced things that prove to me that life still goes on after death, I have had many visits after a death of a family member and though some will argue that its all in my mind etc, I know the truth of what I seen,

Live for today, Not what tomorrow holds, Love your family and cherish all the time you have together,

I know its all words and easier said than done, But really think about it,
Do you want to spend your time worrying about what might happen or when?

Worry about making each day matter and telling your family how much you love them. The worst part about death is all the things left unsaid, So say them now

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Despite having faith and spirituality, even despite what a holy book mentions, I have a hard time trying to explain life after death or even if there really is a life after death.

I have yet to meet anyone who has returned from "life after death" and explained what and how that 'life' really is.
Robin Williams comes about the closest, though.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
and Jesus assured me that He will also raise me.

According to what I know from God via the bible, you are in the middle of being blessed.
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom...

So how can you be sure of what happens? This is the most easy, and Im afraid, can be the most difficult..depending on you.

Jesus Christ said that if you call on Him, and repent..be sorry for the sin in your life...and make a point to follow Jesus..then you are forgiven and saved.

That simple. There is no need to fear from this point on.

Satan tries to bring that fear back via doubt. "Am I really saved?" and things like that.
Now you have a choice...believe or doubt.
That is where he got me some 20+ years ago. I have since overcome it.

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

When you overcome that kind of attack, God does truely reward you. Your faith will be rewarded.
One of those rewards is really just a side effect. Peace about death.
This world is like the larva stage of life. We arent meant to stay in this ses pool.

That was the quick long version.

The short version is this

Pray to God in Jesus name and tell Him heart to heart how you feel, and how you want to feel.
The prodical son in Jesus' story turned back to his father for the food and a place to live. Its not unusual for people to turn to God because of other motives.

peace

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Don't dread the future, live for the momment. Every second you spend with your kids should be treasured and enjoyed. Don't worry about things you cannot control but trust there is a person who has your, and thier best interest at heart. A christian life can bring great peace and joy to you.

According to my beliefs, at the momment of death you are judged on your beliefs, if you belive that God is true and holy, and he sacrificed his only son to pay for our sins so that we may have eternal life, you will arrive in heaven and be able to praise him for his grace and love.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
And....how about if there is no so-called "heaven" or "hell"?
You guys ever heard that old saying: What if everything that you thought was right was wrong? Basically, what if everything that you thought was or would be, was not or is not?

Perhaps instead of being slated for "heaven" or "hell" we all simply return to whence we came? If we came from a creating, greater source, one can call God, perhaps when we die, our essence/soul simply returns to sender?

Btw, anyone meet anyone thats been to "heaven" or "hell" and returned to tell about it, and for you jake1997, that would be someone literally, face-to-face, having a physical body that you shoke hands with, had a meal with, etc?

Again, I have faith, and I have spirituality, but apparently, many of you have not read Conversations with God, eh?

seekerof

[edit on 18-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I have read many,many true occurances of people who have died or had visions of life in Hell or Heaven......and come back to tell it.
Now, after saying that, if someone did die in our TIME and come back to tell his/her story,who would choose to believe them ?

Again, it's a matter of FAITH and no matter how many people speak about the after life there will always be people who would already have made up their minds on what they hold as TRUTH .....and will always come up with all sorts of unbelief and doubt about the after life....

The Soul After Death: Contemporary "After-Death" Experiences in the Light of the Orthodox Teaching on the Afterlife (Paperback)
great book for those that want to read on early Christian Teachings about the SOUL AFTER DEATH.....THE SOUL AFTER DEATH is a comprehensive presentation of the 2,000-year-old experience of ancient Christianity regarding the existence of the other world, addressing contemporary "after-death" and "out-of-body" experiences, the teachings of traditional Oriental religions and those of more recent occult societies.
www.amazon.com...=pd_sxp_f/104-1697321-2981505

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Here are a few true occurances of visions of Heaven and Hell...

[St.] Bede (673-735), in his Ecclesiastical History of the English People, tells of a man from Northumbria who became ill and died, then came back to life several hours later. The man said he saw a great valley where human souls were blown about by powerful winds and exposed alternately to fierce heat and bitter cold. The next stop was a place of darkness, where souls rose up and fell like sparks in flames arising from a huge pit

www.orthodoxinfo.com...

Regarding those who die and come to life again,
and how this happens by Divine Providence.
And how many times sinners while still
alive, beholding the torments of Hell
and the demons, shudder with
fear; and in this state of fear,
their souls depart
the body.
A. St. Gregory the Dialogist
Question from Peter

How can one explain the phenomenon which occurs with many who appear, by some delusion, to be separated from their bodies and are thought momentarily to be dead, as though without a soul, but who come back to life?
St. Gregory's Answer....

This phenomenon, if one understands it well,
is not a delusion,
but a divine admonition to man: for this phenomenon God in His compassion renders by Providence,
offering it forth as the greatest gift of mercy, so that many, after the departure of the soul from the body,
come back into their dead bodies; having seen for themselves,
with the eyes of their souls,
the torments of Hell, in which they did not believe when they heard of them from others, they thus come to stand in fear thereof.

Excerpts from The Evergetinos
On Death and the Future Life
Related Articles

www.orthodoxinfo.com...

www.orthodoxinfo.com...

IX
helen

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint
I know you have probably all heard this question before but i would be very grateful for any views or stories of people with near death experiences.

My brother 'died' once.
It was quite an experience. He told me he felt the most incredible love. Love like he has never felt before. He was surrounded in pure, overwhelming love.

He knew he had a wife and kids, but he wasn't worried about them at all. There was only love. Bigger than he could ever imagine or explain.

My brother is a non-practicing Catholic, if that matters. He said it doesn't.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I know you have probably all heard this question before but i would be very grateful for any views or stories of people with near death experiences. Even the odd scientific explanation would be most welcome.

From a scientific perspective, NDEs have all the signs of being brain induced. People that have them never return with information they could not have known previously or shortly after the event (when the brain is still in a funky state and subject to miscatologing memories). NDE experiences always involve the expectations of those having them - no-one ever visits a god they've never heard of. These experiences are universal and not confined to a given religion/culture.

They also have dream-like qulities where contradictions rule the day.

But the piece de resistance is that (drumroll)... they can be induced artificially.

Part of the NDE experience frequently involves floating at ceiling level looking down on yourself. I propose the following experiment. Within emergeny rooms and ICU rooms, place a paper with some kind of easily recognized symbol on it facing upward higher than where people can see it. When people's hearts stop, interview them after the fact to see if they had an NDE, and if so, what was the symbol they saw facing up. The symbols would need to change frequently to keep doctors and nurses from sneaking a peak and telling the patients about it.

I would also like to know what people think of the chances are of life after death.

0 or 1. It doesn't make sense to assess likelihoods of states of existence. The real question is not what are the odds, but rather, what reason is there to believe one way or the other. All credible evidence suggests that death is final.

I never used to worry about dying and had a few near misses in the military however my life is now a misery as i worry all the time. I think its like this now as i have 2 very young children and life is so great at the moment the idea of losing it all petrifies me.

I'm sorry you got into that mess. If it were me, I'd look for a way out, honorable or not, legal or not, but don't take that as advice.

The unknown is more frightening than the prospect of anihilation. Personally, I've found that death is easier to deal with since I abandoned my mythology about the afterlife. Unfortunately, it takes time to come to grips with it, and you need reassurance right now.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Life after Death.

There is an author and past-life regressionist by the name of Dr. Michael Newton. I have read 2 of his books. I read Journey of Souls and Destiny of Souls. I'm not sure if he has anymore. I will attempt to paraphrase for you.

Michael was a past-life regressionist for awhile. He then had the idea to see if he could find out what went on after death. So he started to take people to the moment of death in the past life and then on to the life between lives. He has put together all these sessions into the books I name above. The end result is wonderfully beautiful, to put it mildly.

At the point of death we separate from our body. We are then presented with the "tunnel of light". It is the choice of the individual whether they wish to proceed through the tunnel or not. Those that don't usually are still attached to the life they just left. These people are what we know as ghosts. The spirit guides are always there to coax those people back to the light. But it is the decision of the individual. This is also where the phenomenon of spirit attachment comes in. Spirit attachment can be alleviated by explaining to the attachment that they can get their own body by going back to the light.

The light is our school. Earth is our field trip to get hands on experience with our lessons. Once you decide to go to the light then you are guided completely. You are carried along one of many light highways back to your specific soul group. Once back you then look over your life and discuss with your soul group and start planning for your next life. All people go to this place. Yes, even Hitler, although he is still asleep because of the insurmountable pain he will endure upon knowing the full extent of his actions. But anyway, a soul group decides what roles they wish to play on the physical plane. For instance, one may be an overbearing parent. Another may be the understanding uncle. We basically choose our parts based on the lessons we each wish to work on. The more advanced souls are the teachers and help us along the way. They also pick out the best human bodies for our particular lessons. We are usually presented with a choice and are given a viewing of the general path of the particular physical lives. Then when all is set we are sent back through the layer of forgetfullness and find ourselves in a baby human body.

The books go into a lot more detail. Such as how baby souls are cared for. What color light souls are, based on their knowledge and experience. What roles the teachers play. The different "jobs" you can have after you finish your incarnations. How many incarnations are normal before you don't need to come down here anymore. And it goes on. The books follow generally with a lot of other material I've read. However, the books are extremely detailed because it's coming straight from the soul memory while the human is in hypnosis.

If you had any specific question, I would be happy to answer them. Or I would simply suggest to read one or more of the books and see for yourself.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
As stated nobody has come back to tell about it (other than Jesus) and as such we are in the dark on this.
Any interpretation would be strictly conjecture on the writers part. I do have my own feelings on this and that is it in a nutshell, Feelings... emotions. If you live a good life, you die with a feeling of well being. If you die under distress, you wander in search of that peace. Its all in the mind as stated (although not in this context) and since we don't fully understand the mind (or powers of) we tend to have a limited view of what is actually there after death.
Some have mangaed mere glimpses of all that is out there and yet it can be written off as the brain shutting down (bright white light) or halucinatory in nature. Either way, what matters is life while you have it, and belief in God and acceptance of Jesus for your time of death.

I no longer fear anything to be honest with you, and as such I live a fuller life not filled with worry or anxiety, or even anger. I try to comfort others when I feel I can help, I try to settle differences (when I feel I am able) and I also try to love everyone (since I know that God is within us all)

All this was possible through a profound event in my life that although tragic, led me to where I wished I'd been all my life. My Faith (as many if not all of you know) is the strongest its ever been, I believe and have felt what is TRUTH. Truth is the Love of Jesus.
You will feel it if you just ask. You will know it if you just become receptive to it. You will live it once it touches you. My touch came about through a prayer for calm and it is the fast track to Faith. Thats not to say that I didn't believe or have Faith before this, but my walk with the Lord has grown exponentially.
In summary, there is a life after death and since God is within everyone of us while we are alive, He is also within us ALL at the time of death. We have guardian angels around us all the time and some people have had paranormal experiences that can't be explained any other way. Believe friend, you will be comforted.

Jake, God Bless! Keep reaching out. Even though the reward might not be evident, you are surely reaching souls.
Everybody else... understand that I am scripturally challenged, my prayer was a silent one when I was alone (or so I thought) and if my prayer was answered so readily, its available to ALL for the asking.
All you have to do is believe and have Faith in Him. There is only one God, and God is within us all.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowHasNoSource
Michael was a past-life regressionist for awhile.

Hypnosis is a mechanism by which memories are created, not extracted. It has been shown to be ineffective at retrieving memory.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by keybored
As stated nobody has come back to tell about it (other than Jesus)

If you remove the paranthetical, you would be correct.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I've read a whole heap of books on this subject. I thought it might be handy to suggest a few.

On Death And Dying - Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

On Life After Death - Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Life After Death - Raymond Moody

Reunions - Raymond Moody

The Tibetan Book Of Living And Dying - Sogyal Rinpoche

Life After Death: A History Of The Afterlife In Western Religion - Alan F Segal

The Book of Heaven: an anthology of writings - Carol Zaleski

The Sacred Art of Dying - Kenneth Kramer (editor)

How Different Religions View Death - Christopher J Johnson

Brain Belief: An Exploration Of The Human Soul - John McGraw

A Brief Tour Of Human Consciousness: From Imposter Poodles to Purple Numbers - V. S. Ramachandran

The Quest For Consciousness: A Neurobiological Approach - Christof Koch

As far as regression goes, I've undergone two professional sessions.

The results were quite startling, but completely different (though this doesn't discount anything, in as much as theoretically both could refer to different lives/memories from different times and periods); I was actually able to verify some details, although this could also be explained by coincidence or generalities.

My jury is still out.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
what happens if somebody clings to life at the moment of death then? i do not fear death... i fear the means by which it comes. i mean, i would not like to be eaten alive by crocodles....

top topics

join