It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did you know this about Iraq

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
*points up*
Prime example of people and media only looking to provide one side of the facts.

Here within ATS, you get 20+ negative topic threads concerning Iraq versus maybe one talking about anything good.
Interesting no?

seekerof

I took the 'Liberty' of examining your argument, which appears to run as follows:

1) There are more posts saying bad things about Iraq than there are posts saying good things about Iraq.

2) This proves that the media are slanted and only report bad things.

Do I have to point out this argument doesn't fly?

I must also point out that you assume that your judgement as to what constitutes 'good' in Iraq is not shared by all. Personally, I find that the vast majority of actions described in the article above are extremely bad, and are only good according to US government values which are not, I assert, necessarily good.

[edit on 18-7-2005 by Roy Robinson Stewart]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I just wanna add this that Fox news managing director is Bush brother so what ever is published it is mostly propoganda.

I've got some news for you

Did you know that dead total of iraqis is comming up to 105 thousand.

Did you know that most of iraqs citties arrent fully operational under Gov but are controlled by insurgents,

Did you that the media does not report the daily attack situation of the US troops which is estimated to 500-1000 attempts a day.

Did you know media does not report daily missile launch of US navy on citties in iraq - thus destroying peoples home believed to be insurgent houses, is mostly peoples houses.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Thanx for the info

Still hope the troops can call home on the satilates

Not def. in favour of the war but I agree it's def. worth pointing good when lots of bad is around.

And I am very happy to hear about the items w'r saved and safe, Like someone pointed out....that's w'r the world started...like the first battery'z w'r from there...way before Energizer

The other issue is...what about the bomb's hitting palaces etc......heard lot's of "one-of-a-kind" books w'r lots?

Y'r Canadian friend,
Sven

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Here's a link with LOTS of good news.

www.windsofchange.net...

link   

Originally posted by Interseptor
I just wanna add this that Fox news managing director is Bush brother so what ever is published it is mostly propoganda.

Did you know that most of iraqs citties arrent fully operational under Gov but are controlled by insurgents,

Did you that the media does not report the daily attack situation of the US troops which is estimated to 500-1000 attempts a day.

Did you know media does not report daily missile launch of US navy on citties in iraq - thus destroying peoples home believed to be insurgent houses, is mostly peoples houses.

And the proof of this is where exactly? Even the IRAQI Gov't isn't sure how many civilians have been killed. Red Cross and Red Crescent have been trying to come up with totals for awhile now, and can't agree on numbers killed and wounded.

As far as the media slant, of COURSE they are. I've seen so many stories of GOOD NEWS get buried in the middle of a newspaper or mentioned on tv once or twice, when BAD news gets fromt page coverage, and is repeated over and over again on the television. The simple reason for this is that people like to hear bad news, and know that someone else out there is worse off than they are. Bad news sells, good news doesn't. It's as simple as that.

link   

Originally posted by USAFSFSrA
This is coming from a Veteran of the Iraqi War. I say Veteran because I was there for 8 months (not as long as the Army, I know), and we are all veterans if we have gone to war and come home. The time i spent in Iraq wasn't all that bad aside from taking rounds and mortars to rockets and RPG's almost daily. That is the bad side to it, the side the media likes to emphasize, the part of the war that is "not boring." I don't like to think that there are folks out there who enjoy seeing American servicemembers killed and killing Iraqi people. I understand that it is war, and war is supposed to be "HUA" and stuff like that. If the media concentrated on the good aspects of it, maybe the American people would have a better feeling about sending sons and daughters, fathers, mothers and whoever else off to war, with a feeling that something is getting accomplished other than retribution. While I was there, I saw many beautiful things such as the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, the anchient Ziggurat in the city of Ur, birthplace of Abraham from the biblical times. The so called "Garden of Eden" was supposed to have been in Iraq. I say so-called because some of us don't appreciate religious texts and references, I am trying to stay "kosher." There are things in that country worth saving and people in that country that need help. It's the bad folks that are holding the good ones down. The USA is only trying to help them along for thier future... am i right? Think about it a little more, read up on the stuff and forget statistics. You cannot compare before the war to after the war. Before the war, Saddam was "the man." His people were regulated and did what HE said. Now that he is no longer "the man," things can be built the way the people want, not the other way around, you see? New opportunities have risen. There is now more room for change and advancement. Let it take it's course. My many thanks to HIFIGUY for pointing out those very awesome points about Iraq and shedding some light on the subject, hmm?

People say you have to support the troops even if you aren`t for the wars they fight. This is heavily prevailant on both sides of the table. Both democrats and republicans support the troops. They are true heroes and deserve our respect for laying everything on the line for their country. This soldier`s thoughts and feelings on the war is a very common sentiment felt amongst the men and women in harms way. It is also felt among their supporters, particularly those who believe in staying the course, mostly just republicans obviously. Why are we so divided over our political lines about this? War is needed in order to make things better before they get worse. Progress is being made and its important now more then ever that big changes are being made rather consistently. In the long run it will all be worth it. There are to many "what if" scenarios if we would have done nothing.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Actually, much of the looted items from those museums have been recovered, during raids of weapons caches and other little known hiding spots. Also, many museums and places of importance have been remodeled and made better than they were before the war. I have seen it first hand. Take Nasiriyah for example, that place was pretty messed up in 2004, now it's looking like a small city again, with computer/internet cafe's, restraunts, nice education facilities. The rebuilding is going well. Did this help at all? The Iraqi people are also getting the proper help they need from the USA and US soldiers. Here is a link for your viewing pleasure:

www.airforcelink.com...

for a more in-depth look at helpful programs in Iraq, type in "Operation Reachout" in the search block.

You have to start out on the lowest level if you actually want to make a difference. Let me know what you all think!

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Very Good link and you casually posted it out their.

Heres a story printed by the Berliner Zeitung. Its not American, its German and its talking about the economic boom in northern Iraq:
www.kurdishmedia.com...

Heres an a short article about Iraqis making cars for an American car company:
www.almendhar.com...

Iraq launches its 1ST Credit Card: Hmmm. Its a first.
www.adnki.com...

Im reposting this link. If one reads through it with detail, you will see that indeed this is not hype, this is success in the small steps of detail. For those who are not in agreement, I would wish that you take the time for the read.

To win the hearts of Iraqis, and to let them know the American intent is for them to be free and experience the benefits of freedom, these are the things that need to be done to get there.

As the economy betters, and the economic realities that things are better, the violence will subside.

www.adnki.com...

Thanks again for the link. The storys are from all different news agencys around the world.

Peace

[edit on 18-7-2005 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY

To win the hearts of Iraqis, and to let them know the American intent is for them to be free and experience the benefits of freedom, these are the things that need to be done to get there.

Of course the 'freedom' which you bring them is compulsory, and in order to ensure that this freedom is established you are going to employ vast numbers of them as police officers, build ten times as many prisons as they currently have to house those who don't want to be free, and there will be no nomads because they do not exhibit suitably 'free' behaviour.

They are free to do what they are told, and nothing more!

[edit on 18-7-2005 by Roy Robinson Stewart]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roy Robinson Stewart
I must also point out that you assume that your judgement as to what constitutes 'good' in Iraq is not shared by all. Personally, I find that the vast majority of actions described in the article above are extremely bad, and are only good according to US government values which are not, I assert, necessarily good.

Thats your take on matters, Roy Robinson Stewart, is it not?
But as it stands, instead of letting people have their own opinions and moving on, you simply have taken the opportunity to argue to the contrary against nearly all those who have asserted otherwise.

Are you simply a disruptive factor in this topic?
Disrupt as you will, there are many "good" things happening in Iraq, despite popular opinion, and despite the efforts of media to reports such.
You don't work for the media do you, Roy Robinson Stewart?
If you do, those nomads certainly won't be pleased with you.....

seekerof

[edit on 18-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Excellent post.....

Beware the naysayers that will flock to this thread...

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I do not understand what you mean by the media hating Bush. From where I stand it looks like the media loves Bush and goes out of the way to overlook anything bad that he does. I have yet to see an anti Bush story in any mainstream media. The media always makes sure that King George comes out smelling like a rose.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Iraqui Police suffocate ten Sunni tribesmen in anairtight container.

Freedom Huh?

www.sanluisobispo.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

Originally posted by Interseptor

And the proof of this is where exactly? Even the IRAQI Gov't isn't sure how many civilians have been killed. Red Cross and Red Crescent have been trying to come up with totals for awhile now, and can't agree on numbers killed and wounded.

As far as the media slant, of COURSE they are. I've seen so many stories of GOOD NEWS get buried in the middle of a newspaper or mentioned on tv once or twice, when BAD news gets fromt page coverage, and is repeated over and over again on the television. The simple reason for this is that people like to hear bad news, and know that someone else out there is worse off than they are. Bad news sells, good news doesn't. It's as simple as that.

Your hypothesis is quite wrong in fact there is of course knownledge of how many dead there are don't you think when a tornado/flood happens in america/europe any where the Gov does know how many 100/1000 have died, of course the families report there dead to the Gov or US army, it cant be said they dont other wise they wont get there companssion,

about that there isnt any organistaion that counts the dead toll well here a is link that is reliable.

Iraqi death toll

By the way i was in a hurry so I could not mention that the media in Iraq is actually US propoganda media because all the media agency are in the green zone of bagdad where the insurgents cant attack the media, all source are provided by the US established info on what the world should know, and the media is not allowed to go out of the green zone so that they wont get in trouble but this also gives less media coveragee of Iraq.

And you said that bad news what we wanna hear you absolutly wrong there, of course the world does not wanna hear bad news, is it bad news if the US troops will leave Iraq and Iraqi troops will assert there own situation in Iraq, Is it bad news when familie will finally will meet there child who was in false war in Iraq, is it bad news that Bush will be prosecuted one day on war crime activities, and is it bad news to hear that Iraqi Insurgents have stopped attacks on AMERICAN troops after they have left Iraq.

Well what is going on in Iraq is dailly bombing do you believe that if 29 die in that bombing the media will report something else that is less important such as e.g "a new Iraqi home was build to day" of course not they will always report what the death toll of people was in the insurgent attack.

Do you wanna say that when London attack was done the media report what was going on in the london stock market was gaining, but was of course reporting the situation of the attack.

[edit on 19-7-2005 by Interseptor]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Which story have you seen getting more coverage in the media lately? "Seven US soldiers killed in bombing" or "Iraqi infrastructure being rebuilt"? This is the FIRST I've heard about most of these GOOD things happening in Iraq. I've read ONE story about how the people like to see the soldiers come around, and they go out and shake hands with them, and the kids like to wave at them, etc. But when something BAD happens, it's all over the media. The good reports were all buried on obscure webpages, and in the middle of the newspaper, and not even covered on the television. I've heard almost NOTHING good coming out of Iraq, with the exception of the elections, which most coverage STILL found ways to turn into talking about bad things happening.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
If anybody would like to read good news, stop complaining and go to this website:

www.airforcelink.com...

Yes, it is a govn't site, but there is plenty of good things to read on it, and it might enlighten some of you who believe nothing good is coming out of Iraq. Disregard CNN, please. Their job is to report the news that is appealing to the general populace. Just take a quick glance, if you don't like it, don't read it right? I will provide more in the near future.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I like this thread, finally someone who isn't a conspiracy theorist and doesn't think everyone is out to get him/her.

Yes, the media doesn't cover this because it's boring. I would say there's a hint of anti-Bush (people like Dan Rather), but it's moreso of what makes money. There was a time when media was never about the money and just brought you the news - wish those days would come back.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Lil question.
How does a country with a labour force of 6.7 million have 1.2 million people under goverment employment?

The number I'm stating comes straight out of the CIA World Factbook btw.

1.2 million out of 15 million people above the age of 15?
Thats over 10% of all 18+ers working for the goverment?

Whats Iraq turned into? A communist state?
Or is that number just a load of bullocks?

[edit on 19-7-2005 by thematrix]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
Lil question.
How does a country with a labour force of 6.7 million have 1.2 million people under goverment employment?

The number I'm stating comes straight out of the CIA World Factbook btw.

1.2 million out of 15 million people above the age of 15?
Thats over 10% of all 18+ers working for the goverment?

Whats Iraq turned into? A communist state?
Or is that number just a load of bullocks?

[edit on 19-7-2005 by thematrix]

I don't think the figure is too unbelievable...

First, Iraq probably doesn't have much of a private sector as yet with lucrative employment prospects.

Second, a lot of these jobs are probably reconstruction related and the figure will diminish if and when the reconstruction nears completion and more private opportunities become available.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
CIA world fact book.

www.cia.gov...

Population Iraq: 26,074,906 (July 2005 est.)

Does that balance things out a bit?

Peace

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join