It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did you know this about Iraq

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
In the wake of public perception of Iraq being a debacle, I thought Id share something that puts a more positive light on Iraq. The conclusion at the bottom about the Bush hating medis is not my own as FOX news is indeed Bush loving and Bush has done much to help the media. They have had the a ability all along to publish these facts. I thought Id pass them along as we all need a little positive news now and then.

Enjoy, it makes the experience in Iraq seem worthwhile.

Did you know that 47 countries have re-established their embassies in Iraq?

Did you know that the Iraqi government employs 1.2 million Iraqi people?

Did you know that 3100 schools have been renovated, 364 schools are under rehabilitation, 263 schools are now under construction and 38 new schools have been built in Iraq?

Did you know that Iraq's higher educational structure consists of 20
Universities, 46 Institutes or colleges and 4 research centers?

Did you know that 25 Iraq students departed for the United States in January 2004 for the re-established Fulbright program?

Did you know that the Iraqi Navy is operational? They have 5- 100-ft
patrol craft, 34 smaller vessels and a naval infantry regiment.

Did you know that Iraq's Air Force consists of three operation squadrons, 9
reconnaissance and 3 US C-130 transport aircraft which operate day and
night, and will soon add 16 UH-1 helicopters and 4 bell jet rangers?

Did you know that Iraq has a counter-terrorist unit and a Commando
Battalion?

Did you know that the Iraqi Police Service has over 55,000 fully trained and
equipped police officers?

Did you know that there are 5 Police Academies in Iraq that produce over 3500 new officers each 8 weeks?

Did you know there are more than 1100 building projects going on in Iraq?
They include 364 schools, 67 public clinics, 15 hospitals, 83 railroad
stations, 22 oil facilities, 93 water facilities and 69 electrical
facilities.

Did you know that 96% of Iraqi children under the age of 5 have received the first 2 series of polio vaccinations?

Did you know that 4.3 million Iraqi children were enrolled in primary school by mid October?

Did you k now that there are 1,192,000 cell phone subscribers in Iraq and
phone use has gone up 158%?

Did you know that Iraq has an independent media that consist of 75 radio
stations, 180 newspapers, and 10 television stations?

Did you know that the Baghdad Stock Exchange opened in June of 2004?>

Did you know that 2 candidates in the Iraqi presidential election had a
recent televised debate recently?

OF COURSE WE DIDN'T KNOW! WHY DIDN'T WE KNOW? - OUR MEDIA WOULDN'T TELL US!

Because a Bush-hating media would rather see the world blow up than lose their power.
Instead of shouting these accomplishments from every rooftop, they would
rather show photo's of what a few perverted malcontent soldiers have done in prisons in many cases never disclosing the circumstances surrounding the events.

Instead of showing our love for our country, we get photos of flag burning
incidents at Abu Ghraib and people throwing snowballs at presidential
motorcades.

The lack of accentuating the positive in Iraq serves only one purpose. It
undermines the world's perception of the United States and all of our
soldiers.

This is verifiable on the Department of Defense website

Peace

[edit on 18-7-2005 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
the media doesnt tell much of these things because its borin and bad news it good news for the American media. in anicase its good to know there is progress in Iraq. even wen there are people who wants to tear it down.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
HIFIGUY, do you have a ling to this data? I'm not see it, or did you piece it together?

I would appreciate it.

Roper

[edit on 18-7-2005 by Roper]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Iraq really needs a naval infantry regiment

25 students on a fullbright programme. . . it must be gratifying for them to have Breakfast in America.

Universities but no clean drinking water

An electoral debate. . . thank god they are embracing Democracy at last

A massive police force which grows every day and is paid for by the US government is exactly what every right thinking country needs

Fighting the polio epidemic is of prime importance

You forgot to mention that Saddam Hussein's regime was lacking in prison space and that the US is building prisons to house ten times as many prisoners as was previously possible. This is of vital importance for the security of all right thinking Iraquis and is a major step forward in civilising Iraq and protecting thr free world!

Give the man a camel!!

He's out of there!

[edit on 18-7-2005 by Roy Robinson Stewart]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
A most excellent post.
The process within Iraq is slow, agonizing, and painful, but hope endures, as do the people of Iraq, but in time, Iraq will be better than what it once was.

I have total faith in the Iraqi people that they will continue to settle their internal sect differences and progress towards a geniunely unified Iraq, a far better Iraq.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The Department of Dedense website has alot of helpfull and informative.
I honeslty wasnt looking for cynicism in this post as I know we could all use a little good news now and then.

Regarding clean drinking water, Polio, and the navy. Yes. Iraq does need a navy to protect her vital oil port. There is no assurance for her to have our protection all the time.

Do not all children of the world need the protection of the polio vaccine?

Drinking water is a difficult matter in that part of the world. It takes years to build high volume clean drinking water inftrastructures. They were damaged during the war. Lets give it a break.

Feel free to explrore. There is a large section on Iraq:

The main link to Iraq: www.defenselink.mil...

Updates on Iraq: www.state.gov...

Iraq Building a new Society: www.state.gov...

Its nice to read. All is not bad.

Peace

[edit on 18-7-2005 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The lying, destruction, maiming, and killing sort of put a damper on all the "good" aspects of war I'm sorry to say. If the media could just be completetly silenced then we could all enjoy only the positive aspects of what unnecessary violence brings.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The media's duty is to simply report the facts.
Apparently and obviously, the media manipulation device simply reports one side of the facts when deemed advantageous to do so.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
Enjoy, it makes the experience in Iraq seem worthwhile.

Did you know that 47 countries have re-established their embassies in Iraq?

Did you know that the Iraqi government employs 1.2 million Iraqi people?

Did you know that 3100 schools have been renovated, 364 schools are under rehabilitation, 263 schools are now under construction and 38 new schools have been built in Iraq?

Did you know that Iraq's higher educational structure consists of 20
Universities, 46 Institutes or colleges and 4 research centers?

These numbers mean nothing without something to compare it to.
How do we know if 1.2 million people employed by the government is less or more than it was before the war?

How many universities were there before the war?

How many children were vaccinated before the war?
Is it less or more than it is now?

Here's what I found on schools in Iraq:

unicef.org.uk
Some 4.3 million children are currently enrolled in primary schools, up from 3.6 million in 2000, the most recent year for which data were available prior to this survey. However, there are not enough desks, chairs, or classrooms. Many schools have had to double up, with a quarter of all primary schools in Iraq running two or three shifts per day - meaning reduced classroom time for each shift of students.

In fact, while there are more than 14,000 named primary schools in Iraq, there are only 11,368 actual schools buildings available to house them. Some 2,700 of these need major rehabilitation.

"Iraq used to have one of the finest school systems in the Middle East," said UNICEF Iraq Representative Roger Wright. "Now we have clear evidence of how far the system has deteriorated. Today millions of children in Iraq are attending schools that lack even basic water or sanitation facilities, have crumbling walls, broken windows and leaking roofs. The system is overwhelmed."

Wright said that the decay is the result of over a decade of neglect and under-funding during the sanctions era, as well as the impact of three wars, starting with the Iran-Iraq war.

The survey states that since March 2003, over 700 primary schools had been damaged by bombing - a third of those in Baghdad - with more than 200 burned and over 3,000 looted.

That increase from 3.6 million children to 4.3 million children could be due at least partially to natural population increases and not a positive result of the war. Those 3,100 schools that were renovated are sgreat but look at how many were damaged and looted as a result of the war.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Not to sound defeatist, but Iraq sounds just as nice as South Vietnam probably did...

Sure, these are nice things, but maybe the media isn't playing them up because ulitmately they're trifling issues compared to the bigger picture... and we've been here before...

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
The media's duty is to simply report the facts.
Apparently and obviously, the media manipulation device simply reports one side of the facts when deemed advantageous to do so.

What is appalling to me is that anyone can actually believe that a massive US sponsored Iraqi police force and the building of new prisons is actually 'good'.

People are not cattle!

Without nomadic tribes the world is a poorer place.

Take down the fences and get out of there!!

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
It appears that you live in a state where there are American sponsored police. Since when is being an Americann bad? I dont always agree with the way we go about things, but Im not going to throw crap in the road in the way of someone trying to do the right thing.

We, gentlemen, participate in a freespeaking forum without fear of someone coming to knock at our doors. To exchange thoughts and concepts about what we feel is of value.

But to reinforce my post, lool at many of the new things. Does Iraq have 50,000 children a year dying of manlnutrition still?

The men that are signing up for the Iraqi police need both a job, and they also see that Iraq needs structure.

We can nay say all we want. But real things are getting done, and it isnt because of people that are sitting back saying nothing can be done, or that is shouldnt be American.

Peace

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
Does Iraq have 50,000 children a year dying of manlnutrition still?

Malnutrition is better now than it was before 1997, when the Oil For Food program was started, but it is worse now than it was before the war began.

unicef.org.uk
“Latest reports are showing that acute malnutrition among young children has nearly doubled since March 2003,” she said. “This means that hundreds of thousands of children are today suffering the severe effects of diarrhoea and nutrient deficiencies.”

She noted that Iraq already had severe problems with malnutrition, water service and sanitation before the war, when 1 in 8 Iraqi children died before the age of five.

“The lack of clean water and adequate sanitation leads to the quick spread of disease, and greatly exacerbates the impact of malnutrition,” Bellamy said. “As always, young children are the most vulnerable.”

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
*points up*
Prime example of people and media only looking to provide one side of the facts.

Here within ATS, you get 20+ negative topic threads concerning Iraq versus maybe one talking about anything good.
Interesting no?

Seems that those who like to simply point out the negatives are even trying to disrupt the 'good' news given within this topic.
I find irony humorous at times. You?

seekerof

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
You are turning Iraq into a giant concentration camp. . . . .it was going that way under Hussein who was set up by the US, but now you aremaking it a lot worse.

It is ironic that the supposed benefits of US military and police control of Iraq ingnore one thing. . . . . Liberty ! !

A proud family of Arab nomads answerable to no one. . . . that is Liberty. . . and it has been wiped out. . .. this is sad and unnecessary. .. . .

Keep your Americanisms at home please

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
This is coming from a Veteran of the Iraqi War. I say Veteran because I was there for 8 months (not as long as the Army, I know), and we are all veterans if we have gone to war and come home. The time i spent in Iraq wasn't all that bad aside from taking rounds and mortars to rockets and RPG's almost daily. That is the bad side to it, the side the media likes to emphasize, the part of the war that is "not boring." I don't like to think that there are folks out there who enjoy seeing American servicemembers killed and killing Iraqi people. I understand that it is war, and war is supposed to be "HUA" and stuff like that. If the media concentrated on the good aspects of it, maybe the American people would have a better feeling about sending sons and daughters, fathers, mothers and whoever else off to war, with a feeling that something is getting accomplished other than retribution. While I was there, I saw many beautiful things such as the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, the anchient Ziggurat in the city of Ur, birthplace of Abraham from the biblical times. The so called "Garden of Eden" was supposed to have been in Iraq. I say so-called because some of us don't appreciate religious texts and references, I am trying to stay "kosher." There are things in that country worth saving and people in that country that need help. It's the bad folks that are holding the good ones down. The USA is only trying to help them along for thier future... am i right? Think about it a little more, read up on the stuff and forget statistics. You cannot compare before the war to after the war. Before the war, Saddam was "the man." His people were regulated and did what HE said. Now that he is no longer "the man," things can be built the way the people want, not the other way around, you see? New opportunities have risen. There is now more room for change and advancement. Let it take it's course. My many thanks to HIFIGUY for pointing out those very awesome points about Iraq and shedding some light on the subject, hmm?

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
What about this fact:

1. Troops would be some....no? guess the troop's can call home...anytime (hope they can anyway)

2. guess lot's of demans for cell's t'a hook up those mines on the road.

But I see someone trying to bring positive things....that's worth the camel right there

And sinces w'r on the fact's issue....what about the Museum and stuff....they all got looted NO? How much that stuff they get back ?

Y'r Canadian friend,
Sven

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
You have voted HIFIGUY for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

This is the best post I have read on these boards in a long time. I want to thank you for posting it.

I am saddned that it will be tarnished by the haters in no time at all, but no matter what the anti USA contingent does to this post in the near future, I commend you for it!!

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Well, said USAFSFSrA and thanks for your service.

Roper

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by svenglezz

What about this fact:

1. Troops would be some....no? guess the troop's can call home...anytime (hope they can anyway)

2. guess lot's of demans for cell's t'a hook up those mines on the road.

But I see someone trying to bring positive things....that's worth the camel right there

And sinces w'r on the fact's issue....what about the Museum and stuff....they all got looted NO? How much that stuff they get back ?

Y'r Canadian friend,
Sven

1. Soldiers do not use cell phones in Iraq. They would do no good, as service is limited, and there is no international hook-ups. Soldiers are not even ALLOWED to use cells, as they could possibly detonate a timer.

Thuriya satellite phones, or Segovia Sat-link internet is what the military uses.

2. Most IED's and Vbied's are remoted with garage door openers, or simple wires to a hidden trip switch.

3. Nearly all artifacts from the Museum mentioned, were spirited out by the museum proprieters to safety. Much of the artifacts were found in the basement. Nearly all are back in the Baghdad Museum (been there, seen that).

Y'r American friend, Dave

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join