It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Coup Attempt In Guinea-Bissau?

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
About 20 armed men in military uniform attacked the Interior Ministry of Guinea-Bissau Saturday. Two security guards were killed in what is described as a "mystery assault" but looks like a coup attempt. The attackers were wearing uniforms of the parachute commando batallion based at Bissau airport.


Guinea-Bissau: Two Killed in Mystery Assault On Interior Ministry

Two security guards were killed and one was injured when a group of about 20 armed men in military uniform attacked the Interior Ministry in the capital of Guinea-Bissau before dawn on Saturday, Interior Minister Mumine Embalo said.

Brigadier General Armando Gomes, the army chief of staff, described the attack as "an isolated incident" provoked by people who wanted to disrupt the country's return to constitutional rule.

It came just one week before the second round of presidential elections on 24 July to return this small West African country to democracy following a bloodless coup in September 2003.

Radio Bombolom, a popular privately owned radio station in Bissau, reported that the attackers were wearing uniforms of the parachute commando batallion based at Bissau airport. This has not been officially confirmed.

Gomes, the army commander, would only say that those involved in the attack were acting spontaneously outside the military command structure.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

"Isolated incident", Yeah right... The 20 armed men in uniform who attacked the Interior Ministry building was apparently not an isolated incident. There were actually five simultaneous attacks on strategic targets (see below). So much for an "isolated incident"...

According to the french article below (Translated by someone) :

On Saturday at dawn, five separate attacks simultaneously attacked strategic targets - the presidential palace, the Interior Ministry (less than 100 meters away), the Navy building at Pindiguity downtown, the headquarters of the Bra Brigade north of the capital and the Santa Luzia, to the south. The majority of the attackers belonged to a regiment of parachutist commandos and they were armed with kalashnikovs but they did not gain entry to any of the buildings.

Related News Sources:
GUINEE-BISSAU - Commando : Tentative de putsch ou «incident isolé» ? (in french...)


Country profile: Guinea-Bissau (BBC)


[edit on 2006/4/25 by Hellmutt]




posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
It turns out that the assault was carried out by a group of soldiers financed by a close ally of former president Kumba Yala.


Guinea-Bissau: Government Accuses Close Ally of Kumba Yala of Organising Attack On Interior Ministry

The recent assault on the Interior Ministry of Guinea-Bissau, which led to the death of security guards, was carried out by a group of dissident soldiers who had been financed by a close ally of former president Kumba Yala, Interior Minister Mumine Embalo said on Tuesday.

Embalo did not name the politician, but made clear through a series of indirect references that he was referring to Biaia Guab na Pana, a member of parliament belonging to Yala's Social Renovation Party (PRS).

The Interior Minister said this politician had financed the pre-dawn attack last Saturday. The attack itself had been led by a former state security official that worked in the port of Bissau, he added.

Yala, who was overthrown by a 2003 coup, came third in the first round of voting on 19 June, but refused for several days to accept his defeat.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Kumba Ya (My Lord) didn´t accept his defeat in the election it seems...



new topics
 
0

log in

join