It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Excellent article on Freemasonry from the Washington Post

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
To anybody who is curious about Freemasonry, I came across this EXCELLENT article from the Washington Post regarding Freemasonry. This is a great article for Freemasons, anti-masons and anyone who hasn't the foggiest idea of what Freemasonry is. The author starts out not knowing ANYTHING about Freemasonry, and continues to piece together a very accurate and very real article regarding Freemasonry's history, it's present state and problems, and it's uncertain future.

www.masslodges.org...

I highly reccommend that everyone read it.

[edit on 18-7-2005 by sebatwerk]

[edit on 19-7-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sebatwerk
To anybody who is curious about Freemasonry, I came across this EXCELLENT article from the Washington Post regarding Freemasonry.

What, you expect people to let the truth get in the way of fantasies about world domination and exploding toilets?!

Seriously though, very interesting article.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMe74
What, you expect people to let the truth get in the way of fantasies about world domination and exploding toilets?!

C'mon man, give this thread a chance. Don't drag it down please.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Yes, excellent article indeed.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   

The Temple Room at the Masons' Washington headquarters reflects their taste for ornate architecture.

There's really no simpler way of saying it tho is there!? Freemasons like to get their degrees and talk about the 'natural science of masonry' and enjoy symbology and esoteric philosophy and art. Shriners wear fezes cause the guys that founded it thought fezzes were cool, not really anything sinister to it!

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Brent Morris:

>>>>>"One of the dilemmas we have," he says, "is that the people who >>>>>are the most active and the most involved are really satisfied with >>>>>the way it currently exists -- otherwise they wouldn't be active. So if >>>>>we make changes that appeal to Generation Xers, then we drive off >>>>>our most active members."

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap !!!

Finally a mason that make sense.

I think in France they are a lot of younger masons.

I personally believe in the freemasonry reform as a
non-fraternal university of esotery.

>>>>I am stunned. I am speechless. My mind fails to produce a follow-up >>>>>question.

Create a symposium on philosophy and freemasonry and you'll
see what it means to follow up questions.

Cedric Phi

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Centiment
I think in France they are a lot of younger masons.

What makes you say this?

I personally believe in the freemasonry reform as a
non-fraternal university of esotery.

Well, seeing as you are not a Freemason, it doesn't really matter what you want to do about "Freemasonry reform."

Why don't you join and try to change it from the inside, since you seem so concerned about it. Otherwise why waste your time talking about it?

Great article by the way... The comments are excellent too. It saddens me to see the decline in interest, but I think "Quality over quantity" is a good policy. Seems as though lots of lodges are lacking in both.

[edit on 7/19/05 by The Axeman]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman
Why don't you join and try to change it from the inside, since you seem so concerned about it. Otherwise why waste your time talking about it?

Don't give him any ideas!!!

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Create a symposium on philosophy and freemasonry and you'll
see what it means to follow up questions.

Not for nothing but freemasonry is pretty much out of the circle of active philosophy. Albert Pike isn't someone that philosophy students read very much nor some one who's ideas get discussed in philosophy journals and papers.

In fact I don't know of any philosophers who are also masons. I'd think that there are some tho. But freesmasonry seems to come up in philosophy as much as it comes up in bricklaying.

the axeman
It saddens me to see the decline in interest

I find it weird that masonry is in decline in terms of numbers. Kabbala is very popular today, along with lots of other 'things like that'. You'd think that it'd be attracting lots of people. Even if it was rejecting a lot of them as 'unfit'.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I find it weird that masonry is in decline in terms of numbers. Kabbala is very popular today, along with lots of other 'things like that'. You'd think that it'd be attracting lots of people. Even if it was rejecting a lot of them as 'unfit'.

Most people don't even KNOW about Freemasonry, much less think that they can join. If people KNEW, we would have much greater numbers. Look at how fast our numbers have risen lately due to some exposure in the media like national Treasure and the DaVinci Code.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
>>>>>What makes you say this?

My mason friends are from french lodges.

They saw how it is in America and told me about differences.

>>>>>Why don't you join and try to change it from the inside

Let's be serious for once: the changes I was thinking about are already happening in certain places. When the old lodges with old thinkers die out, these younger lodges will influence masonry. That will be around 2025.

>>>>Why don't you join and try to change it from the inside

I can't take oaths I don't believe in.

>>>>But freesmasonry seems to come up in philosophy as much as it >>>>comes up in bricklaying.

They are symposiums on philosophy and religion,
I am sure freemasonry have been covered.

I wonder if masons even grasp the ties between philosophy and sciences, especially mathematics.

As if Philosophy had prolongated whatever the very first masons were trying to do. If only they didn't write up those "landmarks".

>>>>Kabbala is very popular today

Of course. I study it myself.

It's just that when you look at masonry it seems surrounded
by....sorry to say, but....silly fla-fla.

+ the oaths to brotherhood I'll do it to any good friends.

I won't let someone else pass "before a friend" because
he's a mason. And though masonry seem to suggest that this is
what I should do, this is not the impression that you get when meeting a mason. You don't want to befriend a mason unless you are a mason.
They're a bit "shady".

One mason with a staandard person is ok. But 2, 3, or even 4 masons
with a standard person does not function. I know it for having experienced it. If you are a mason, than you're bound to befriend masons. It doesn't make sense.

>>>>Even if it was rejecting a lot of them as 'unfit'.

Well.....many people are buddhists or belong to religions where such a concept as "unfit" doesn't "fit".

Everybody is karma, everybody deserve a chance, etc...

In my perception some masons that speak here are too vile
to fit the honors of what the fraternity prescribes.

There's no control for sure. Any bandit could start a lodge
with his 40 thiefs.

Cedric Phi

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

what I should do, this is not the impression that you get when meeting a mason. You don't want to befriend a mason unless you are a mason.
They're a bit "shady".

Freemasonry suggest NO SUCH THING. In the very first initiation a candidate ever goes through, he is told that his obligations will not "iterfere with the duty he owes to God, his Country, his neighbor or Himself". So what's your next bad assumption going to be?

And you don't even KNOW any masons, stop lying. So how can you say masons are "shady"? Masons are regular people, I guarantee you there MANY people you know that are masons, and you don't even know it. I hate how you speak of masons as if they are a certain kind of person. Freemasons are family men, employees, fathers, hobbyists, etc etc BEFORE they are masons. It's just a fraternity, it's not a personality.

with a standard person does not function. I know it for having experienced it. If you are a mason, than you're bound to befriend masons. It doesn't make sense.

That's not true either. I have dozens of great friends who aren't masons. My group of best friends (10 of us), who I grew up with, are all non-masons. The only friends who are masons that I have are from online or from my lodge. I rarely, if ever, spend time with Freemasons outside of lodge. So much for your B.S. claim, huh?

In my perception some masons that speak here are too vile to fit the honors of what the fraternity prescribes.

Whatever you say, buddy. You're a troll, plain and simple.

[edit on 19-7-2005 by sebatwerk]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
>>>>And you don't even KNOW any masons, stop lying.

That is juvenile.

>>>>I have dozens of great friends who aren't masons.

Send them here to read you so that they can verify
that you need medical attention. Because
you are here 24 hours a day with an average
10 posts per day on masonry !!!

You sound branded to the thing.

I'm a troll......and that makes you an ogre I suppose ??

A magic elfe ?

A wizard ?

Medievalism is retarded.

Grow up from the nerd school, people.

Cedric Phi

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
well my best friend is a non mason ask him yourself he's a moderator for this sight. his name is ADVISOR. i've never once tried to push masonry on him OR judged him in any certan way because he's a non mason. he's my best friend plain and simple. mason or not. makes no difference.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   

*SNIP*

+ the oaths to brotherhood I'll do it to any good friends.

They're a bit "shady".

As others have said this is out and out rubbish. I have less than a handful of friends that are members of Masonry. Many, many more that are not. And anyone of them will tell you, if they need me I'll be there....Masonic ties or not.

I'm a Mason and a Volunteer Fire Fighter, I at any time can be called upon to risk my life for someone I may not even know. So you are suggesting that my Masonic ties could inhibit me from saving a life? Just because a fellow brother needed help painting his garage? Please.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Gentlemen, on all sides, lets stick to the specifics of the thread, and not refere to each other as 'vile' or anything along those lines.

They are symposiums on philosophy and religion,
I am sure freemasonry have been covered.

I very much doubt it, it doesn't appear to be on any of the books that have come out of the conferences, thats for sure, and its not discussed much if at all in any of the philosophy books I've read.

I wonder if masons even grasp the ties between philosophy and sciences, especially mathematics

I think that many freemason's like to philosophize about their 'science' (as i have heard it refered to), and to consider its teachings in the context of modern philosophy and science. But I don't see the influence going much the other way. I don't see Pike on the shelves along with Kierkegaard or Nietzche or Popper, etc etc. I think Voltaire was a mason tho no? But hiswork isn't usually thought oto stem out of freemasonry no? And similarly, Goethe was a freemason, but, and perhaps this is my ignorance on this specific aspect, I don't recall non-mason's studying him being too concerned with the influence of masonry on his thought and writtings. For all that masonry holds out, you'd think that they'd dominate the field of philosophy.
Perhaps thats too strange of a criticism to warrant being leveled tho, not being a huge impact on modern and pre-modern philosophy!

If you are a mason, than you're bound to befriend masons. It doesn't make sense.

Why? They are comrades, part of the same corps, they have every reason in the world to get along and have something to relate to one antoher thru right away.

Well.....many people are buddhists or belong to religions where such a concept as "unfit" doesn't "fit".

I just mean, considering how popular new agey type stuff is, you'd think that freemasonry would at least have a big surge in applications, even if they reject most of the applications as being too frivolous or whatever.

[edit on 21-7-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I just mean, considering how popular new agey type stuff is, you'd think that freemasonry would at least have a big surge in applications, even if they reject most of the applications as being too frivolous or whatever.

I don't think so. MOST people have severe misconceptions regarding Freemasonry. It may be something as silly as believing that you have to be ASKED to join, or that it's a secret protective society that only allows people that will benefit the organization. Or it could be the belief that freemasonry is satanic or evil and is trying to control the world. In any case, I think we would have more people joining if they at least KNEW that they COULD join if they wanted to.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sebatwerk

I don't think so. MOST people have severe misconceptions regarding Freemasonry. It may be something as silly as believing that you have to be ASKED to join, or that it's a secret protective society that only allows people that will benefit the organization. Or it could be the belief that freemasonry is satanic or evil and is trying to control the world. In any case, I think we would have more people joining if they at least KNEW that they COULD join if they wanted to.

Or even more so if they were actually aware of Freemasonry. Despite the awareness of this board and its members, most people and especially young people have never heard of Freemasonry and those that have know little or nothing of it.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
that is so true. im 21 and became a mason this year. my friends had no idea what freemasonry was......"you want to lay bricks?" was the normal response i got. i knew of masonry from some time i spent in a shriners burn hospital and through my grandfather. i just wish more people had a chance to find us. there are so many good men out there who know nothing about us. its unfair to masonry and its unfair to them, individually. this is definately a problem.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It's a funny thing because once I told my friends (all around the 21-30 age range) that I became a mason, 4 of them immediately asked me how to join, 3 have since become masons themselves, and 3 others have researched the fraternity and are in the process of petitioning.

As soon as they realized that they COULD, they DID.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join