It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Explosion of Digital Culture (which means us)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
With so much going on in the world, there is a new "amateur culture" that is being recognized as inspiring new forms of creativity. It's podcasts, blogging, song mixers, creative writers, movie critics, script writers, etc, etc.

In other words...you & me right here at AST/BTS/PTS

All of us here are involved in this new culture...and dare I say, near the front of the wave. Driven by the exploration of the unknown and seeking knowledge, we have forums for everything you can imagine. We also have ATSNN which is reader voted news, we have blogs (get blogging you writers), we have a member elect council, etc, etc, etc. It just keeps growing. We are truly a "Digital Community."

The 21st Century is seeing an explosion in the field of amateur culture and creativity, according to leading digital commentators.

Professor Lawrence Lessig, a champion of so-called "free culture", told the BBC digital technology was inspiring new forms of creativity.

Blogs, podcasts and digital photos are examples of amateur culture, he said.

"Digital tools are inspiring creativity in a way that I do not think we have seen in a very long time," he said.

Professor Lessig, who teaches law at Stanford University in the US, is a founder of Creative Commons, a set of copyright licenses which help creators share and protect their works.

He said: "If you think of the 20th Century as this period of professionalising creativity - you've got the film and recording industries which become the professional creators, separating and stifling in many ways the popular culture.

BBC: "Amateur culture" set to explode

This article is a bit more about music or movies, but just read it and take it to a more basic level of - INFORMATION. That is what we have here. Information and opinion which is exactly what drives a digital community.

There are a reported 60 million bloggers - writing everything from personal diaries to influential political rhetoric...

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander

There are a reported 60 million bloggers - writing...influential political rhetoric...

Hey, that's me! ^^

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
ATS is at the forefront of the internet culture

Great to be part of something that continues to evolve and push the limits

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
We are the NWO mwauahahahahaha

*evil bad guy laugh*

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

The NEW WEB ORDER?

Yes...yes we are.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
did someone say New Order?

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
LMAO @ Lysergic

No, he said New World Order.
(New Web Order)

Not the 70's and 80's band I've seen life.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Ok, I am going to be the idiot that asks this question. What the heck is a blog anyway? From what I have seen it looks to be someones on line diary. Is this what it is all about? First I thought I would want one but heck no. After doing a google search of my username I almost freaked, last thing I want is my diary running around the world.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
MemorialDay,
From what I've seen, a blog is basically whatever you want it to be. If you want to post "diary" type stuff, that's what you do, you want to post programming code or lyrics or poetry or recipes, whatever. The only thing really special about it is that you add an entry and it tracks it by the date.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Hmm whats this here?

Oh look everyon its THE BEST BLOG IN THE ENTIRE MULTIVERSE!

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Pay no attention to Lysergic's blatant prostitutional self-promotion.

Most bloggers are cut from more humble cloth..

Here, look at mine...

j/k

blog=weblog

or

blog=trendypseudowordwithnoactualmeaningcooptedbyjustabouteveryassholeunderthesunand abusedtothepointofirrelevancebymassmediaandindependentmediaboth.

whew...

(Edit: I should mention, of all the blogs I've seen, ATS is the best designed, most voluminous, and best maintained of the bunch)

Here's what one pirate thinks about 'blog' Warning:Mature Language Ahead - If You're Offended by Crude Humour and Adult Words, Turn Back Now!
If These Words Were People I Would Embrace Their Genocide by Maddox

[edit on 18-7-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

*evil bad guy laugh*

Well, we're certainly the Illuminati in every traditional sense of the word.

Or bloginanti if you will.

*smarmy analyzing society and affecting change anonymous laugh*

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Yeah, verily doth this topic spread to the masses how close to the "forefront" of digital "culture" is the cyberentity called ATS. Onward and upward.

For the future of digital culture, wherein you will never again be able to distinguish between homo sapiens and machine, Ray Kurzweil makes for truly interesting reading and understanding. All too true.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   

ATS is at the forefront of the internet culture

Great to be part of something that continues to evolve and push the limits

What UK Wizard was trying to say is that ATS is the forefront, we are the limit. There's no other place online that I (and I've been around the block a few times) have seen that conforms to this standard of content, style, and living.

This, as Triple Z put it, "amateur culutre" is, despite what my mother says, the way things are heading and will become, no matter what anyone says, a whole new kind of revolution in itself.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
somthing i should mention about this sub culture us is that i tend to abreviate things things like b4 things like that the same as text messaging but apparently it lowers your iq i'll have to find a link for that

new topics

top topics

join