It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm being called, please advise.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
saint4god,

Good luck in your journey. I can only share what happens when you ignore. In 1994-1998 time frame I was experiencing a calling in the form of experiencing one of the spiritual gifts. I did not have the faith I needed and became concerned that I could not handle what was being asked of me with the humility I thought was required. Had I had the faith in God, I would have known to leave that matter to Him and simply follow His will. Long story short the gift was taken (use or lose it). Realizing you did not meet a spiritual challenge leaves a hole in the middle with the wind blowing through that I deeply suggest you avoid if at all possible.

I would be glad to visit more in u2u's.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by chebob
I am completely aware of how hard it is to describe how it is when you "know" god is contacting you, or is there, or is answering you (whatever you would attribute it to). It's almost impossible, and reading through your posts I remember the difficulty I've had trying to describe it.

Thank you. It's very helpful to know someone can relate and understand that this is very real.

The most "powerful" times I have felt it, have been the times where tears have run down my face and my body has shivered, simply through believing I am receiving some kind of message from God. I really couldn't begin to describe the exact details of any of what I call "hearing" or "seeing" God (not in the literal sense....bah, this is all so metaphorical, this is why it's so hard to explain), but around 2 or 3 years ago, when they were at their most frequent, I did keep pointing things out to my fiance, wo began by trating each with cynicysm, but after a couple of years now also "knows" that certain things are "from Above" and not coincedence or madness.

This is exactly it. I hope those around me can also understand it's not coincedence nor madness.

Rather than being chosen to do something, although I always have and always will hope for something like that, I see these "contacts" as a variety of things, kind of like Psycho-analysis from God, free of charge. They seem to me to be guiding, comforting, reassuring and just very good for the mind. Like giving your brain a wash (?).

Well, I wouldn't use the words 'brain' and 'wash' when talking about God with all the vultures around here, but I understand your meaning
. Yes, it is nice getting those 'bumps' back in line as I like to call it. Sometimes when you're completely off, I get 'slaps' which are firmer, out of love not anger.

I haven't been praying so much lately, I've simply tapered off because I have been wrapped up in life in general, and I have noticed that I have been having hardly any "visions" or psychic dreams or anything like that. Just my 2 cents (or 33 dollars)

Sometimes contact comes and goes in waves, but it always comes when we need it most. I thought things were a bit 'quiet' recently then *WHAM*. It's quite startling....as intended I'm sure.

Thanks for all the helpful advice and background. It does give comfort in an unsettling time.

Pray, train, study,
God bless.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
saint4god,

Good luck in your journey. I can only share what happens when you ignore. In 1994-1998 time frame I was experiencing a calling in the form of experiencing one of the spiritual gifts. I did not have the faith I needed and became concerned that I could not handle what was being asked of me with the humility I thought was required. Had I had the faith in God, I would have known to leave that matter to Him and simply follow His will. Long story short the gift was taken (use or lose it). Realizing you did not meet a spiritual challenge leaves a hole in the middle with the wind blowing through that I deeply suggest you avoid if at all possible.

Thank you for this warning. I think understanding the consequences is most important in any crossroad. I had briefly considered trying to pawn it off and go with "business as usual" but see now the problem with that.

Originally posted by Valhall
I would be glad to visit more in u2u's.

You got it.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
I welcome input for anyone, but certainly helpful would be from Christians here who have experienced this. How did you find out? What was it like? What do I do? This is a smattering of questions but need help figuring this out as soon as possible. I have until the end of the year I think.

Maybe I missed it in one of your posts.

But, you took a survey that showed you should serve God more and more effectively, is that right?

Now you are waiting for a call from some church officials, is this right?

[edit on 20-7-2005 by dbrandt]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt
But, you took a survey that showed you should serve God more and more effectively, is that right?

The survey was a window to that, yeah.

Now you are waiting for a call from some church officials, is this right?

Maybe an e-mail, maybe a call, maybe nothing at all. Rather, I need to find out from them if this means I should be involved with the church or not. I don't know where, I only know to some degree what I'm to be involved with. Again, puzzle pieces, trying to put it all together.

[edit on 20-7-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Maybe an e-mail, maybe a call, maybe nothing at all. Rather, I need to find out from them if this means I should be involved with the church or not. I don't know where, I only know to some degree what I'm to be involved with. Again, puzzle pieces, trying to put it all together.

I'm getting more info before I try to give you my opinion/advice.

When you say more involved with the church, what denomination(I'm assuming you are talking about a denomination) are you talking about?

How old are you and do you have a family?

Do you feel led in your own spirit that God Himself is calling you into a more active, leadership role?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   

When you say more involved with the church, what denomination(I'm assuming you are talking about a denomination) are you talking about?

Erk...uhm... don't know where we're going with this. I'm a Christian. That's the label I wish to pin to my shirt.

If I knew why it was being asked, I may be more open to answering...in a U2U or something. For everyone else, I am genderless and have the same people in my family as all of you do.

Do you feel led in your own spirit that God Himself is calling you into a more active, leadership role?

I'm a skeptic, so I'm trying to eliminate any possibility that I'm 'reading the signs wrong' so to speak or that I'm involved in any way. I believe I'm being called into a more active leadership role and that it is not my own spirit doing the moving. Reason being is because I became very comfortable in my current role and position. This, is exactly what my pastor told me is something I shouldn't do. He said that to the congregation at the time, but it landed on me...does that make sense? Just like this survey was a general survey, it landed on me. Just like someone said a long time ago, "you know you should be a preacher" and I chuckled and now it's landing on me. Just like God said, "There is a lot of space to fill, to expand where people retreat, hoping someone, anyone will reach out to them. Fill this space, reach out, help lead them to Me" and it's landing on me. Just like Matthew 28:16 is jumping up and down on me like a pogo-stick asking when I'm gonna to grab it and move with it. Okay, that was odd imagery, I apologize to the creatively sensitive folk here.

Hopefully somewhere in there was an answer for your question. Does any of it help?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I say this prayer (my favorite) for you, saint4god. It is the most I can do:

For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God."

Ephesians 3: 14-19

[edit on 7-20-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   

If I knew why it was being asked, I may be more open to answering...in a U2U or something. For everyone else, I am genderless and have the same people in my family as all of you do.

The reason for the having a family(spouse and kids) question is because they need to be 100% with you on this decision and supportive, mainly spouse.

The age question can show something about maturity, but if you prefer not to answer that's fine. No big deal.

I would say the most important part of this is what you believe God is telling you to do and patience.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I assume were are talking about a divine call. Like what was protrayed in the beginning of acts to replace the Apostle Judas. Only more fitting to moderan times.

Personally I have been invovled in a divine call with my church. And have had serious discussions with two people who we a part of the process.

For my church we had a vacancy and put out a call. We had a selection of Pastors taht fit the qualifications we needed. thier age, thier family, and how long they have been serving. We were getting flustrated and some of us had doubts. Finally one member said "You mean all of these names are qualified to be our pastor, and none of them are a bad choice?" SO he flipped a coin and made his choce. The called we made was the pastor who accepted. Even after burying both of his parents withen a month, and coming from a large established church to a mission church. He accepted.

I would have probly been a lot easier if we just prayed and rolled dice.

regardless, pray about the call, and ask God to grant you stregth to avoid what isn't his will, faith to do what is, and wisdom to know the differance.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I have been debating preist hood for a long time....

In the catholic church you can check an old thread about some of my experiences at ID ignorancedenied.com...

But U2U me if you want to talk.

Ive been "listening" for over 5 years

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Thank you Valhall, that's a great passage to remember too.

The reason for the having a family(spouse and kids) question is because they need to be 100% with you on this decision and supportive, mainly spouse.

I see what you mean and have no intention on 'taking-off' though it may be the fear of some. I love my family, they are a gift from God that I do not deserve. Still, I need to be flexible enough to do whatever it is He wants me to do. My hope is they can be the same.

I would say the most important part of this is what you believe God is telling you to do and patience.

Right now I'm being told to be pro-active. To move while keeping my eyes and ears open. Some things I feel are going to be left behind (current occupation) and replaced with something that's in line with my work everywhere else. Perhaps it's not that at all, but a ministry on top of all that's going on, though I don't see how that's really possible. Adding yet more time away from home would be a sacrifice that would put (I think) too much pressure on my family and I. I don't know details. Regardless it's not my call. All I can do now is poke around to see what's going on, keep an open mind, a willing heart, and take care of everyone around me the best I can. I'll probably do as I did before when adding responsibility which is to turn around a month later and say "that was it? what was I worried about?" His plan before involved no separation so I have no reason to think this time it will either. Do you remember in middle-school being called to the front of the English class and asked to give your book report when you didn't feel at all prepared (whether you were or not)? That's how I'm feeling today.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Thanks Jehosephat! It's interesting how a 'toss-up' works I think. It reminds me of the Old Testament where they casted lots to see who would be the next prophet. Kinda like, "Okay, who's it gonna be? Who's gonna risk the possibility of death by going to kings and telling them what's going to happen and what they need to do about it according to God? Draw a straw." Yeah, I'm sure it'd come under heavy fire to select in this way, but it's clear despite the method, the prophets who were meant to be made it into the Book.

Originally posted by Mizar
I have been debating preist hood for a long time....

In the catholic church you can check an old thread about some of my experiences at ID ignorancedenied.com...

This was awesome Mizar. Thank you very much for reference to this valuable thread. I believe God has a way of preparing our hearts and minds. When we talk about a kind of new service for God and are kicking around the idea, I think that's God's way of opening up the possibilities....which is what I guess I'm afraid of. There are a lot of possibilities. Some very very hard, a lot I feel I'm not capable of, and others not so extraordinary. The brain though, tends to put aside the non-extraordinary ones and tries to prepare for the most extreme case so that we're not as surprised if it comes to pass. Just my thinking though.

Originally posted by Mizar
But U2U me if you want to talk.

Ive been "listening" for over 5 years

Now you know I'm gonna do that :-P. You ready to listen for another 5 years? LOL

[edit on 21-7-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
This is difficult.

No one can adivse you as well as the person you talked about this with BEFORE Gods answer came.

When God spoke to me, I had already been talking about the life changing question with a fellow believer. He knew all the details, and then easily put things in Gods perspective with simple biblical logic.
Then, he invited me to his church (I was away from home) and the message that very day spoke in the most direct way to my question and fears. We looked at each other and praised God. (it was one of those jaw dropping moments that you want to happen all the time.)

So...if you have had this intent or question...and prayed for our Fathers will....and now you have an answer that does not need to be decrypted or anything...then theres no problem.

1.) I got an answer from a biblical view from a fellow believer.
2.) God confirmed it with scripture

If you have that much...its enough to move on.

Num 9:16 So it was always: the cloud covered it by day, and the appearance of fire by night.
Num 9:17 And when the cloud was taken up from the tabernacle, then after that the children of Israel journeyed: and in the place where the cloud abode, there the children of Israel pitched their tents.

When the cloud moved, then they followed. If it settled, they sat tight.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I remember Michael Jackson refering to talking with God.

I would just like to add a note of caution.

Are you doing acts to improve other people's lives?
More power to you.

Are you just doing God's sales work [proselytizing] instead?
Remember pushers like to promote their products too,
This is dubious.

It is possible to become enamored of many things in the Universe, and to see and feel them to be one's calling.
Not all of them are good.

Make sure you check you own moral compass from time to time.
Do you actions measure up, human being to human being?
Genuinely turn the tables in your mind, does it still add up?

Just because it makes YOU feel good doesn't mean it has any positive effect on other people's lives. Condescention can turn an apparently good act into blunt instrument against someone else. They can't help but resent it. It will almost certainly cloud their minds and taint your entire actions.

Are your good works merely promotional products sponsored by your belief system? Or is it a gift straight from you heart? Person to person.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by slank
I remember Michael Jackson refering to talking with God.

Originally posted by slank
Are you doing acts to improve other people's lives?
More power to you.

Are you just doing God's sales work [proselytizing] instead?
Remember pushers like to promote their products too,
This is dubious.

It is possible to become enamored of many things in the Universe, and to see and feel them to be one's calling.
Not all of them are good.

Make sure you check you own moral compass from time to time.
Do you actions measure up, human being to human being?
Genuinely turn the tables in your mind, does it still add up?

Just because it makes YOU feel good doesn't mean it has any positive effect on other people's lives. Condescention can turn an apparently good act into blunt instrument against someone else. They can't help but resent it. It will almost certainly cloud their minds and taint your entire actions.

Are your good works merely promotional products sponsored by your belief system? Or is it a gift straight from you heart? Person to person.

This is some good advice. Thanks slank for the advice to be sure I'm doing the right thing for others, self-check with each movement, and keeping it real.

I have an update with a lot of answers, but am short on time. Be back with y'all soon.

[edit on 23-7-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Saint4God-

It has been my experience that when God calls you, you know it. Your own spirit will confirm to you the work of the Holy Spirit, so that the call is undeniable. We can be like Moses and try to get out of it, or like Jonah and run from it; but sooner or later we must come to grips with the truth: God will not let up, until we do what He wants or go where He leads.

If you truly feel a calling, then, you are being called; as a child of God, who else is interested in your service to Him.?Certainly not the enemy.

You must eventually come to the point where you trust God enough to just believe what your heart is telling you.

If you really believe you are feeling God's call, then, you must obey that call. To do otherwise is to risk what Valhall spoke of: loss of, or atrophy of, the gifts that God is now calling you to use. Only you know for sure what God is calling you to, but you know God's voice when you hear it
I have found the best thing to say is "Yes, Lord, I will go where you want me to go, and do what you want me to do; only make the way open for me". Then just go with it; if it is truly what you believe it to be, God will open all the doors, if not He won't.

My advice is : Have faith and believe. Look what faith did for Abraham.?

Also, remember, you don't have to do any of this, in your own power.

Grace and peace,

Lightseeker
www.greatcom.org...

[edit on 7/23/2005 by lightseeker]

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I tell you this. When the Father calls you in the direction he has laid out for your life you need to spend time with him in paryer. Seek his spirit so that it will lead your path and that you will allow his gentle touch in your everyday life so others that do not know him will feel him and respond to you. Good for you. There is to much hurt and evil in the world and those that the Father has called, we should all pray they follow him and and work while it is still light for the night comes and no one will be able too. May the grace and peace be upon all those that are of the Father...prophetseeker

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Thank you lightseek and prophetseeker, both very sound advice and will apply it.

Needless to say I've been running around in circles (figuratively) last week trying to find out what to do. Well, Thursday night the answer came to me. A trusted director of the church (I've known him for a year through the drama group) wanted to talk to me about about the test. He asked what I'd been feeling since I took it, if I'd been praying and where I was at. I explained the test told me what I guess people had been saying for some time but I chose to ignore or didn't feel ready for. I said I know what to do now, but don't know when or where.

His recommendation was to finish the 8 credits I had left for my Bachelor's in Biology and go to seminary for a Master's degree. I'll be taking that recommendation and am considering work in a related field while doing so. It's going to be a big life change for me, but if I can keep the income steady as it has been, it shouldn't have a great deal of impact on family life which would be nice. We'll see how it goes...one...day...at...a...time. By His will and grace, I'll follow wherever He wants me to go.

Thank you all for all the great advice, it really was a comfort in a needful time. I'm a bit more at peace now knowing that I haven't gone bonkers and less frantic now that I have direction and not just a set of tools to work with.

Pray, train, study,
God bless.

<< 1   >>

join