It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm being called, please advise.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I welcome input for anyone, but certainly helpful would be from Christians here who have experienced this. What have you been called to do (post being saved)? How did you find out? What was it like? What do I do? This is a smattering of questions but need help figuring this out as soon as possible. I have until the end of the year I think.

May love, faith and hope be with you all always.
Pray, train, study,
God bless.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
remeber that fellowship with other christians is required to positively identify a calling...
I don't mean you have to go tell the church... but you do need to discuss this "calling" with at least a few religious people whom you respect...
see what thier take is...

it is a personal thing, yes, but you have to get feedback from others...
it is one of the tenents of the bible that is very logical... and understood as to why that is needed...

it prevents a bunch of Mansons from running wild...

I wouldn't suggest using people from ATS as "fellowship"... just as commentators or added info...
fellowship is in person... and it is openly discussing back and forth...
ATS is not a good media for doing that...

[edit on 18-7-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
good advice. Here's the thing. In addition to God, the church is going to be calling me also (I didn't call them). I'm not sure how to prepare for this call. I'm at the church twice a week (once for service, once for the Covenant Fellowship Players - theatre) , but not a member. I was asked to take a nation-wide survey and fell into the 20% identified as those who should seek pastorial/shepherd work. Tip of the iceberg, there are A LOT of other arrows pointing to the same thing starting with God and ending in my jamming my fingers in my ears going "la la la la, can't hear you!".

I want to be sure. I'd like to hear other's experiences of a calling so that I can understand completely what I need to do.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
saint4God,
I would highly suggest that you talk this over with one of your faith's religious advisors. I have done this myself and now I work with Korean Methodists in thier journey of learning about Christ.
I have come across a few who had the calling but not the (ability) who after heeding the call, became disenfranchised with their beliefs when they failed.
I sincerely hope that you heed the call after confering with other christians to verify that this is indeed a call.
Also, do not pay too much heed to the survey. They tend to have hidden agendas and not really something on which to hang your hat on so to speak.
God's speed to you on your journey.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
A lot of good advice, thanks. The church leadership were the ones who advised I take it so either way it looks like I'll be talking with them. Even the questions had me reeling. I've taken many personality tests, psych tests, kingdomality and others for fun, but there is nothing that hit me like this. Also, the survey just brought out something that's always been there....it's just now (or near future) is a very opportune moment. Things are going to be different.

I do not want to fail. That's why I have this post, to gather as much information as I can so I can respond appropriately.

Congrats on your mission! It sounds like fabulous work. I'm on mission myself, it's just not recognized by a lot of people and it's going to grow ten-fold.

Pray, train, study,
God bless.

[edit on 18-7-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
How exactly does this belong in the paranormal forum?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Davood

God talking to someone isn't paranormal?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

God talking to someone isn't paranormal?

Oh I see, sorry, I misunderstood, I thought it was just someone at the church calling to recruit you. Thats what I get for waking up at 5 am after sleeping at 2 am ;o

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Oh I see, sorry, I misunderstood, I thought it was just someone at the church calling to recruit you. Thats what I get for waking up at 5 am after sleeping at 2 am ;o

No worries...I don't think I was very clear and left out specifics. Here's the thing. I'm being called, but don't know if it involves the church or not, but I have a feeling I'm going to get an e-mail. Rather than waiting, I'm going to see if I can get a hold of the leadership there first because I'm pressed for time. I guess I'll know more after that.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
While I dont believe in organized religion, I do believe in a form of pre cognition, or co - cognition, whereby someone who has a connection to you somehow, a friend, coworker, or family, is planning on doing something that will affect you, either by calling you on the phone or surprising you, and spends alot of time thinking about it.

I have experienced this alot, ill see an image of my friend jake's face seconds before he calls me on the phone. Or ill start thinking about cleaning fish and cooking them for whatever reason while im busy about my regular activities, then later that night jake will call me and say lets go to the cottage.

And the reverse is true, ill call jake up hell be like I had the phone in my hand about to call you.

Now this might seem normal but,

for the last 4 yearse or so, I only seemy friend jake 2-3 times a month tops, so we arent calling each other constantly.

Anyways sorry to somehwat derail your thread, but if you suddenly have this feeling out of the blue, dont be surprised if they call you and say hey guess what we want you to do!

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Saint,

Just seeing if I have this right. You began to think God had a mission for you by prayer? Talking to God and knowing that he has a mission for you?

Then the church got involved and said they thought you should take that survey because they felt you had a mission. Then the survey also came out with the fact that you had a mission?

If this is the way things went I think it is obvious. You have a mission.

My experience is after prayer with God, "doors start to open", is the way I put it to myself. If I have misunderstood God's message to me, then the doors all close, actually slam in my face.

What mission did you feel God was calling you to? What does he want you to do?

Hope this helps and is not too confusing.

Mary

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   

While I dont believe in organized religion, I do believe in a form of pre cognition, or co - cognition, whereby someone who has a connection to you somehow, a friend, coworker, or family, is planning on doing something that will affect you, either by calling you on the phone or surprising you, and spends alot of time thinking about it.

I have experienced this alot, ill see an image of my friend jake's face seconds before he calls me on the phone. Or ill start thinking about cleaning fish and cooking them for whatever reason while im busy about my regular activities, then later that night jake will call me and say lets go to the cottage.

And the reverse is true, ill call jake up hell be like I had the phone in my hand about to call you.

... if you suddenly have this feeling out of the blue, dont be surprised if they call you and say hey guess what we want you to do!

Thank you Davood. This makes a lot of sense to me and the analogy fits very well in helping me to understand what's going on. Maybe I'm not to take action too much, but rather am being told "incoming!" to be prepared as you say. It's also comforting that I have that close of a relationship with God to get this kind of pre-cognition described in your post. Disclaimer: this does not make me 'special'. I have no powers nor want to be something bigger & better than anyone else. In fact, I think it's going to be the opposite. I'm sure I'm going to be asked to give up my wants and desires to serve others. I'm okay with this and am honored to do so. I think that's why it's happening at this time. I've learned to let go.

[edit on 20-7-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
SAINT, I am more interested in how you define God calling you? Is this just a feeling you have or has a voice actually spoken to you? Or did you hear it in a dream, etc.?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mahree
Saint,

Just seeing if I have this right. You began to think God had a mission for you by prayer? Talking to God and knowing that he has a mission for you?

Yes. It wasn't answered directly after a single prayer, but rather one I have continually ask about, "what am I supposed to be doing? Am I doing the right thing?". It's a decade and a half old prayer, but I wasn't ready. I didn't have the right mind and spirit aligned for the job. About a year I went into a kind of training and am still going through it. Not a specific program, but rather encouragement to go to different places and do different things that I would've never done on my own. Then after taking the test, it opened like a fraekin' flood-gate. I've been told of this gift before in different ways but smiled shyly, "naw, I couldn't ever do anything like that." So I get ice-water dumped on me and a resounding push to wake up. "Good morning, it's time for you to get to work". I can't hit that snooze button anymore.

Then the church got involved and said they thought you should take that survey because they felt you had a mission. Then the survey also came out with the fact that you had a mission?

Sorta. The pastor encouraged everyone to take it, though I know only 10% have. I thought I'd take a look and was immediately drawn in by the questions. It was like someone was looking at me, knew and understood exactly what I was feeling and my relationship with God. It was convicting, but in a good way, not negative in any form. I wanted to grab the monitor and say "you understand!" which is silly if you think about it.

The survey determines what strengths you have in your faith and suggests roles or professions where you could be best utilized. According to the test, I'm only using 1/2 of my capabilities. That's fine for some people, because half is better than none, but I was disappointed because I thought I knew what was best way to serve Him. Well, maybe I did at the time, but this says it's time to kick it into a higher gear. I don't know what the next step is....other than to say I'm finishing out one kind of training and going into some either greater testing of faith, education, or actual work for Him.

If this is the way things went I think it is obvious. You have a mission.

My experience is after prayer with God, "doors start to open", is the way I put it to myself. If I have misunderstood God's message to me, then the doors all close, actually slam in my face.

Thank you, this does help.

What mission did you feel God was calling you to? What does he want you to do?

I'll quote what I'm looking at and talk a little about it inbetween:

"The results of your Spiritual Gifts Inventory indicate that your number one dominant gift is Pastoring/shepherding"

Now please remember this is a nation-wide survey, so there's no hidden interest for recruiting for a church. About 20% of those who take the test hit this catagory. There are 9 catagories. Again though, this test was only 1 indicator of many.

"As a gifted shepherd, you have the Spirit-given capacity and desire to serve God by overseeing, training, and caring for the needs of a group of Christians."

What? I though I was supposed to be talking to non-Christians moreso. Well, lemme hear them out.

"Your are usually very patient, people-centered, and will to spend time in prayer for others. You tend to be a "jack of all and a master of ONE," meaning you are usually dominant in one of the speaking gifts"

That's the part that concerns me a bit. I don't have any problems public speaking...but a sermon?

"You are authoritative, more a leader than a follower, and expressive, composed, and sensitive. Your pleasing personality draws people to you."

I am expressive, composed and sensitive...though I think I'm a freak moreso than popular. What kind of pastor wears a spiked collar, dragon shirts and spray-dyes hair blue for fun?

"This gift is a great help in many areas. You may serve as a Sunday school teacher, small group leader, pastor or assistant pastor, bus captian..."

I ain't drivin' no bus...

"...special ministry leader (such as youth, children, men, etc.), nursery worker or as a half-way house or other type shelter volunteer. You may also consider serving as a dormitory leader in college, orphanage, children's home, etc..."

There's plenty more, but won't bore anyone with the details.

Hope this helps and is not too confusing.

Mary

I think it was very clear. I just hope my response is equally clear. It seems you have a good understanding of this so I look forward to any advice. I appreciate your courage to approach it with me and willingness to help.

May love, faith, and hope be with you always,
God bless.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by GREGNOW
SAINT, I am more interested in how you define God calling you? Is this just a feeling you have or has a voice actually spoken to you? Or did you hear it in a dream, etc.?

All...er...I mean none...gosh, where to begin. Okay okay, I never dreamed of being a pastor, but I had numerously 'shepherded' in them for lack of a better term. I never carried any kind of title nor thought it would ever be in my future. Voice is hard to explain because it's not a sound that comes through the ear, rather something that is told to you directly into your brain...but this was not the case for this calling necessarily. How do I know it's not me? 1.) I don't contradict myself and 2.) it's information I had no previous knowledge/recognition of. Hearing God, well, I wrote down what I've been told and it jives with scripture absolutely but is more specific and personal to what I'm doing and thinking. I believe one of these sayings does apply to this calling though I didn't recognize it at the time. Who knows, they may all apply and I'm missing the obviousness of it. I need to go back and look at them. I didn't get a "you will be (insert mission/position here)" per say. This is why I'm reaching out for a scope of advice. It has somewhat happened before, being given clues and the expectation of me to put the puzzle together. I think I'm slow at doing this and need to get better at it. I expected a voice and/or a dream with very specific instruction if I was to be 'called' as others have described it but that's not what I'm getting. I've had both 'direct' and 'indirect' communication before so I'll file this one under 'indirect'.

How do I define God calling me? Well, I suppose it's me walking around my office building, shaken and saying in my mind, "I can't. I can't do it. I can't I can't". Yeah, I knew something was up, I was being rung like a bell. Now I need to know why and what I'm supposed to do about it.

I started this thread in hopes of getting other's defintion of God's calling to compare and contrast. It's research and homework I'm asked to do sometimes to figure it all out. I think I'm tasked with doing this because it solidifies and validates these kinds of events...or perhaps I'm to meet others who are going through the same.

What's next? I don't know. Being homeless, disowned by my family preaching on the streets? Joining my churches staff to help them grow? Volunteering at a mental health institution to find people who don't really belong there? No clue. God only knows, I just pray it has minimal negative impact on my family
, that they understand this isn't some secret selfish desire, or will of my own.

Pray, train, study,
God bless.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I just tried to U2U but found out that I can't send until I have at least 20 posts so I will post some of it here.
How can you deny your calling? If you feel so strongly that it is something you have been guided to do, kind of like you get goosebumps when you think of it, then it is something that you must do.
Do some soul serching and ask God for guidance... man is prone to error but God will never lead you astray.
I too feel (have felt for almost a decade now) my own calling (was going to share that with you privately then found out I couldn't), but the bottom line is how can you deny God? Do you feel like God expects you to do this and if so, how can you not?
I hope this helps you to decide. Sometimes I know (believe me) its a tough decision to make.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

What kind of pastor wears a spiked collar, dragon shirts and spray-dyes hair blue for fun?

Hey, I've just joined the CMA (Christian Motorcycle Association) and believe me, bikers don't exactly fit the mold either. All kinds are called, it takes all kinds since the diversity is what gets the message to ALL!
God Bless You

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I am completely aware of how hard it is to describe how it is when you "know" god is contacting you, or is there, or is answering you (whatever you would attribute it to). It's almost impossible, and reading through your posts I remember the difficulty I've had trying to describe it.

When I have had it, I have never thought of it so much as a "calling", more of a simple "confirming", or a "guiding". Thats the best ways I would describe them. The most "powerful" times I have felt it, have been the times where tears have run down my face and my body has shivered, simply through believing I am receiving some kind of message from God. I really couldn't begin to describe the exact details of any of what I call "hearing" or "seeing" God (not in the literal sense....bah, this is all so metaphorical, this is why it's so hard to explain), but around 2 or 3 years ago, when they were at their most frequent, I did keep pointing things out to my fiance, wo began by trating each with cynicysm, but after a couple of years now also "knows" that certain things are "from Above" and not coincedence or madness.

Rather than being chosen to do something, although I always have and always will hope for something like that, I see these "contacts" as a variety of things, kind of like Psycho-analysis from God, free of charge. They seem to me to be guiding, comforting, reassuring and just very good for the mind. Like giving your brain a wash (?).

Only one more point to make (well 2 really). I have never been to church with the intention of worship, only for Weddings etc. I have never been brought up with God, and am the only member of my family that actively believes in God, Jesus etc. My grandparents were Christian or Baptist from birth, but never speak about it or discuss it. I was brought up an atheist, and by 12 or 13 was totally Atheist, going so far as to ridicule every branch of religion and living a "live for today" lifestyle on the sole basis of wanting to prove there is no God.
That completely changed when I first had one of these "contacts" (a terrible word for it, but I can't think of anything more descriptive), and so did my personality. I never thought "I'm a born Again christian", I just accepted that one day I was shown proof and never looked back. I started praying, and I noticed my life improving dramatically, as well as having more profound "visions" and such. Connected or not, I also had a lot of "psychic" dreams and precognitions, which I attribute to God but I know many wouldn't. I haven't been praying so much lately, I've simply tapered off because I have been wrapped up in life in general, and I have noticed that I have been having hardly any "visions" or psychic dreams or anything like that. Just my 2 cents (or 33 dollars)

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by keybored
I just tried to U2U but found out that I can't send until I have at least 20 posts so I will post some of it here.

No worries, when you can you can. I should be here then. I'd welcome hearing from you.

How can you deny your calling? If you feel so strongly that it is something you have been guided to do, kind of like you get goosebumps when you think of it, then it is something that you must do.

Thank you for understanding.

Do some soul serching and ask God for guidance... man is prone to error but God will never lead you astray.
I too feel (have felt for almost a decade now) my own calling (was going to share that with you privately then found out I couldn't), but the bottom line is how can you deny God?

I can't. That's the problem and what others will not understand.

Do you feel like God expects you to do this and if so, how can you not?
I hope this helps you to decide. Sometimes I know (believe me) its a tough decision to make.

It does help. It's an affirmation that I can use. I'd be interested in hearing more detail on your tough decision sometime when you can.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Hey, I've just joined the CMA (Christian Motorcycle Association) and believe me, bikers don't exactly fit the mold either.

Never thought of that. In fact, thanks to CMA, the idea seems more 'normal' than when they first started I'm sure.

All kinds are called, it takes all kinds since the diversity is what gets the message to ALL!
God Bless You

"And God said unto me, lead your fellow freaks to me"
That's a great opening sermon huh? Sorry, imagination starting to run away with me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join