It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands Flee Path of Hurricane Emily.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Strong winds and rain from Hurricane Emily have begun lashing the Yucatan peninsula on Mexico's Caribbean coast. Tourists in Cancun have abandoned the beaches and 15,000 employees have been forced to leave the Mexican state oil company's offshore platforms.
Two pilots were also killed in the Gulf of Mexico when fierce winds slammed their helicopter into the sea while they were trying to airlift workers off an offshore oilrig

news.bbc.co.uk
Beachfront hotels in the popular resort of Cancun were boarded up as the hurricane, with winds of 215km/h (135mph), approached.

Strong winds were whipping sand from the beaches, toppling trees and bringing down billboards and power cables in resorts including Playa del Carmen, Tulum, the island of Cozumel and Cancun, reports said.

Satellite image shows Hurricane Emily about 45 miles east-southeast of Grenada, as the storm approaches the island

The US-based National Hurricane Center said Emily made landfall just north of Tulum at 0230 (0630 GMT), with the eye of the storm passing directly over Cozumel.

Some 30,000 tourists, the majority of them foreigners, have been moved inland to better-protected hotels or packed into emergency shelters in community centres and schools.

Cancun's international airport, earlier crammed with people waiting to leave, was closed down at about 1700 (2200 GMT) on Sunday.

"We're not going to sleep tonight," Cancun Mayor Francisco Alor said as Emily approached.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

i was just thinking has anybody else noticed the amout of disaster and war,s and terrorism has dramatically increased in the last 2 years if is growing evidence showing that we REALLY are living in the end times

[edit on 18-7-2005 by elliott reid]

[edit on 18-7-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 19-7-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I'm not sure about "end times" but it stands to reason we are in a time a change. I suppose change is really the only constant. I sometimes wonder if a state of global negativity can have a physical impact on the world as a whole [I say this because we really don't know 100% the nature of a very exsistance]. At any rate, I hope these people get through this ok.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Are things getting worse, or is the Media simply bringing all the evil and despair and putting it in your face more?

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
No, this isn't the endtimes. This is just a consequence of increasing global warming and a slowing of the Atlantic Conveyor.

kix

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Ill vote for global warming but thats another topic....

There are 3 casualities related to the preparation of the hurricane Emily, but NO deaths due to the Hurricane itself. Most people are still in shelters and the Can Cun Airport has been opened, President FOX said that putting aside Playa del carmen and Cozumel, all the services and roads in the area are 60% working and within 2 days will be in normal oparation.

Cozumel as an Island is still suffering because of high winds and sea waves.... being a cat 4 Hurricane it could have been really worse, but people over there got prepared, I am more concerned with north of Mexico people who do not how to react to such climate.... meanwhile in Mexico city we had a beautiful morning a chilly afternoon and rain then clear skys...what the heck...???

top topics

join