It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to help you know more about China.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Archangel76
Thank you gejia021 for this thread and all your straightforward responses. I have a few questions, and i come from a place of near-total ignorance on China:

1. do you think most chinese citizens would prefer a democratic government (in the style of the USA), or a more modern, perhaps less corrupt, version of the current government?

2. is crime a big problem in china? would you feel safe walking around shanghai in the middle of the night, for instance?

3. do you see china overtaking the US as the world's superpower? if so, do you see china playing a huge role in overseas conflicts, and/or maintaining a global military?

thank you in advance, and please forgive how blunt these questions sound.

cheers,
Archangel

1. I think ,it's not a problem of prodemocracy, but How much we know about democracy.As a new modern country ,most of us don't understand the essence of democracy. So the road to democracy would not be so near to get.We Chinese warship fair and justice ,in my opinion ,that is a part of democracy. Though we don't like current gov ,we don't consider a immediate change to a gov of US style would lesson corruption . In my opinion ,the Federation sytem from US plus European political system would be a fine choice for China .But Chinese has experienced a 3000 years centralization of state power, it's not so easy ,we need more time.Revolution in China is not so simple ,communist launched a revolution, we suffered half a century ,if the new revolution comes ,whatever it has any name ,we would be very careful and cauttious.

2. Crime in China isn't so severe ,of course I feel very safe if I walk around Beijing or Shanghai or Tianjin in the middle of the night.Malignant crime isn't so "lucky" to encouter.Shanghai is a very safe city in the world in my opinion. My cousin is a patrol police officer in Shanghai ,he told me that they even didn't need a gun.

3. It's a long way to go for China to overtaking the US as the world's superpower? But Chinese believe in an estate of balance ,if the world safeguarded by US and China ,that is not a bad thing, after all we have the one quarter of world population ,if we have a real general election ,China should do his duty. I think that isn't bad for the Human Kind. But now ,we have a lot to do in domestic issue,I oppose it that we should be a intervenor,whatever we are goodwilled or other.

cheers,
gejia021

[edit on 20-7-2005 by gejia021]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

Thank you Geijia,

No wonder your people are advancing so quickly.

It is clear that your leaders understand the importance of education.

We have very good schools here, but many students graduate owing $40,000-$80,000+++
in debt. This makes it very difficult for them to get on with their lives once they finish school.

You mention that the land belongs to the state.

Does this mean that you can not buy your own home or a small piece of land?

The real estate market is going crazy here.

The price of an average single family house in the Washington D.C. area is now near $500,000US
and they can't build them fast enough.

I find it interesting that your country owns very much of our national housing debt.

There are many Chinese investors now buying all they can afford in this market,

I sent you the links to a few local newspapers. I hope this helps you to see what is going on here
from our perspective.

We could buy a house ,but we only could get a 70 years usufruct,we can also buy a land ,but the usufruct is only 50 years ,because the land belongs to gov.70 years after ,gov would compensate a sum to get the land back.
China's real estate market is real crazy one.In Beijing ,an aprtment of 200 centiare near Tiananmen could cost $500,000US ,if it's a house ,it could cost $500,0000US .most of us couldn't afford it , we have to get a loan to buy the aparment.
The investoes you just said are most corruption official and their relatives, they are the scum, criminal and vampire , common Chinese isn't so rich.

thank you for your links.
cheers
gejia021

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by gejia021

For this project 1 million people left their homeland

This is amazing! I have heard about this hydroelectric dam project, the first to surpass Brazil for the claim to the world's largest hydro project. And proof of the power of an authoriative regime ... could you image that happening in the USA, moving a million people?!

China is right to work towards clean energy. I was at a presentation recently about global warming, and in 10 to 20 years as China industrializes, they will account for significantly more pollution than the US does, purely due to numbers. In addition, as much as environmentalists bash the US for its low quality environmental regulations, it is my current understanding (perhaps you can clarify this for us) that China has no environmental regulations whatsoever (the weakness of an authoritarian regime).

I have heard that water sources are being contaminated, and that air pollution is horrible. If China begins to build new power plants that do not meet clean air standards the world stands to suffer far worse than it does from the American emissions.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by grad_student

This is amazing! I have heard about this hydroelectric dam project, the first to surpass Brazil for the claim to the world's largest hydro project. And proof of the power of an authoriative regime ... could you image that happening in the USA, moving a million people?!

China is right to work towards clean energy. I was at a presentation recently about global warming, and in 10 to 20 years as China industrializes, they will account for significantly more pollution than the US does, purely due to numbers. In addition, as much as environmentalists bash the US for its low quality environmental regulations, it is my current understanding (perhaps you can clarify this for us) that China has no environmental regulations whatsoever (the weakness of an authoritarian regime).

I have heard that water sources are being contaminated, and that air pollution is horrible. If China begins to build new power plants that do not meet clean air standards the world stands to suffer far worse than it does from the American emissions.

The 3 gorges dam is the largest ,but not the most invested and profitable . We have Ertan hydroelectric project, its investment is more than 3 gorges. Clean energy is a prevailing trend for China in the coming years.
But in my opinion ,There is not essencial differences between China and US in the uncontrollability of environment pollution. They are all man-made. Our pollution is fir the sake of development ,US pollution is for the sake of excess consumation and the intersts of big oil company. If you invested on new clean power,the earth would become clean.US is the only country have the ability to open out and generalize new power, but when I saw the background of your president ,I know it's a dream in the near future.New power could reduce war and clean our home, but someone make a blined eyes on such a simple truth, it is the tragedy of Human.

China's water sources is safe ,air quality is getting better, not so horrible as you think .China has made a sustainable development policy and renewable resource strategy ,you would see it getting better.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
You're definately right about the environmental policy in the US. Bush really has none, fails to recognize the problems we face, and has made the US the only modern country in the world that has not signed the Kyoto treaty. Just a few more years and we should be on the right track though. Global warming and other environmental concerns have been getting much more attention lately, and I'm pretty confident that something will be done to address the problem with the next presidency. Potential solutions are all over magazines, the newspapers, TV...and now we have the technology to make solar panels 600% more efficient, and improve hydrogen fuel cells and other alternative fuels. I wrote an article about plans to re-engineer the planet last week if you want to do some reading. It's very interesting and 6 methods are discussed on how to cool the Earth and reduce greenhouse emissions:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Hello gejia021,

I think many westerners, especially Americans and british have many
misconceptionsabout modern China.

How would you compare modern Chinese culture with that of the U.S.A....?
What are the main concerns of Chinese young people? (17-30y/o's)

How do you think China will change after the 2008 Olympic games?

...And why do you refer to the Chinese currency as "yen" ...?
Isn't the OFFICIAL CURRENCY CALLED "RMB" ?

[edit on 20-7-2005 by cosmokatt7]

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmokatt7
Hello gejia021,

I think many westerners, especially Americans and british have many
misconceptionsabout modern China.

How would you compare modern Chinese culture with that of the U.S.A....?
What are the main concerns of Chinese young people? (17-30y/o's)

How do you think China will change after the 2008 Olympic games?

...And why do you refer to the Chinese currency as "yen" ...?
Isn't the OFFICIAL CURRENCY CALLED "RMB" ?

[edit on 20-7-2005 by cosmokatt7]

Hello cosmokatt7

We haven't built up a real modern culture of our own,there is only simple imitation to US, what I said is modern culture ,not traditional.We have our own culture characteristics, if an intercultural communication runs good between Sino -US, that will be good for both of us. We could learn some pragmatism of yours and the spirit of enterprsing and creation and innovation which will be good for Chinese prople.To be frankly I don't like KFC ,but the tide surge in China is unobstructable.

The thougts of youth is so complicated, but the main concern for them is better life and more money.They all struggle for a fine job and high position, it owes to the induce of your life syle. I 'm glad to see, most of them are not intersted in politics,and breaking away from it.This is an important correction to a rooted idea of Chinese which is to keep absolutely loyalty for country. I always consider that it's not good for China.
The extreme nationalism in net isn't real. Malignism oath to other country is only an abreaction, not their real thoughts.But what they do has put strong pressure in gov,so bothering.

I think after 2008 ,we would more onpen up, do better in democracy, or some great change in politics area. I wish there appeares no turbulence, for we couldn't endure it any more.Take steps gradually is more appropriate than striding with a spped.

Yen is not right , It's an error . In Chinese we called RMB as "Yuan",easily pronouncee as Yen. In fact, Yen is the name of Japan currency, ours is RMB.

thank you

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
So you are telling us that you can not actually buy land or a house permanently.

The property belongs to the government and you have what is known as a long term
lease. Or leasehold estate.

This is probably why so many Chinese families now buy property here in the U.S.

There are many properties here where the entire family puts together all their savings to buy a home.

Many others invest in property, then re-sell for substantial profits.

They can actually earn far more money " flipping" real estate than anyone could actually earn by working for a living. They may have to pay up to 30% capitol gains tax on their profit, but it's still
a very lucrative way to make money.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

So you are telling us that you can not actually buy land or a house permanently.

The property belongs to the government and you have what is known as a long term
lease. Or leasehold estate.

This is probably why so many Chinese families now buy property here in the U.S.

There are many properties here where the entire family puts together all their savings to buy a home.

Many others invest in property, then re-sell for substantial profits.

They can actually earn far more money " flipping" real estate than anyone could actually earn by working for a living. They may have to pay up to 30% capitol gains tax on their profit, but it's still
a very lucrative way to make money.

70 years of proprietary could be regarded as impermanent theoretically. The real meaning is , 70 years after ,the gov have the right to buy back it . You could sell or transfer it in 70 years with a high price.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
First thing I'd like to do...

You have voted gejia021 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month.

It's an honor and pleasure to have a good-will ambassador from another nation here who truly cares about understanding their fellow human beings regardless of boarders or differences in governments. I also respect and admire you're willingness to speak freely.

This is kind of a silly question. Would I be able to find a small village in the country, where I can go to a nearby grassy hilltop to practice Wushu/Kung-Fu (I've been taking it for 2 years now), read, write and play a bamboo flute? Would the fact that I'm a Christian be a problem? I catch myself daydreaming of this when I retire. Maybe even have a small farm, help the village, etc...

I'm also open to questions too.

[edit on 21-7-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
First thing I'd like to do...

You have voted gejia021 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month.

It's an honor and pleasure to have a good-will ambassador from another nation here who truly cares about understanding their fellow human beings regardless of boarders or differences in governments. I also respect and admire you're willingness to speak freely.

This is kind of a silly question. Would I be able to find a small village in the country, where I can go to a nearby grassy hilltop to practice Wushu/Kung-Fu (I've been taking it for 2 years now), read, write and play a bamboo flute? Would the fact that I'm a Christian be a problem? I catch myself daydreaming of this when I retire. Maybe even have a small farm, help the village, etc...

I'm also open to questions too.

[edit on 21-7-2005 by saint4God]

Thank you for your overpraising . I would always be frankly to friends from remote land. What you said isn’t daydreaming , it’s feasible in my view. There is so many scenic and picturesque area in China, they are different from Florida, full of eastern spice. You could buy a land with low price , and built a house in it , live a peaceful life.
The religion isn’t a problem,there is so many Christian in China including me. Every City and town has church , even in some village. If you live in a small village , there must be a family site act as a meeting house to do mass or other ceremonial, you could attend them ,they are friendly to anyone.
In China ,there is Christian Church and Catholic Church, but I have never seen Orthodox Church,maybe its influence in China is so weak . When Christmas Eve comes in city ,we go to church ,there swarmed so many youngsters, everywhere is full of happy air. The mayor would pay a brief visit ,and send some peanuts and snacks to the church ,this is the national policy of showing goodwill to people believe in religion .
I suggest you go to Jiangsu prov after retired , the air is pure and weather is fine to the retired. You could find some retired friends to practice Wushu , and play Chinese chess and I-go, that will be very interesting and good for your health. The most important of all ,Chinese food is good for health ,and delicious. We pay most attention to nutrition balance ,and Jiangsu is the home of Chinese cuisine, you would be fascinated in it , better than what you eat in Chinatown. Chinese yellow wine is good for health ,it’s made of by grains ,soft and nutritious, you would like it . The cost of living is so low , you could save much money than live in Florida. If you want to help the village ,you could be an English teacher for the village. Chinese are very respectful to teachers .
I express my good wishes that your dream would come true, and had a better retired life.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Our pollution is fir the sake of development ,US pollution is for the sake of excess consumation and the intersts of big oil company. If you invested on new clean power,the earth would become clean.US is the only country have the ability to open out and generalize new power, but when I saw the background of your president ,I know it's a dream in the near future.New power could reduce war and clean our home, but someone make a blined eyes on such a simple truth, it is the tragedy of Human.

China's water sources is safe ,air quality is getting better, not so horrible as you think .China has made a sustainable development policy and renewable resource strategy ,you would see it getting better.

This is not a surprising attack on our motivations. However, I feel that you misunderstand us on several levels, and misunderstand your own government as well. I have a very good friend of mine who is native Chinese and is a researcher in renewable fuels. He has told me firsthand how bad the pollution is today in China. According to my friend, who has a PhD and is a postdoc research in his field, your government does not have any sorts of environmental regulation whatsoever.

It is true that the current Administration has not put environmental factors at a higher priority than other issues (such as our current troubles with Bin Laden, etc.), but, we do still have a base level of environmental regulation that we abide by. Surely, it can be made better, but only incrementally.

On the other hand, as you point out, China is in an early stage of it's industrialization. Until you begin to have children with leukemia and cancers due to leached heavy metals into your streams and drinking water perhaps you will not understand, that we may have already come farther along this path than you assume.

I agree with you that we can do better, and I will strive as much as I can to make this happen in the future. However, since I am not in charge there is little I can do but be patient, and influence who I can when I am capable of it.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Something that came to mind when I saw this thread is a question I've had when I see one of what seems like an endless number of trinkets and toys (especially pet toys!) that say "Made in China".

I've wondered if the people sitting in the factories making these products (for pennies a day) must be thinking "What the hell are these things and what do the people in America do with them?"

Also, if the U.S. stopped 'consuming' so much, wouldn't it put a lot of Chinese workers out of their jobs? They say every coin has two sides ...

[edit on 7/27/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
In Guangzhou, the biggest city in south China, more than 100 thousand people moves out from downtown to built the first subway in Guangzhou in 1995.

Nowdays time goes by and there are already 5 very beautiful and modern subways in guangzhou and 5 are still building. The tracffic in guangzhou has been improved a lot by these subways and it will become the sixth cities that has the longest subway in the world.

Why thoese people would leave 10 years ago???Because Chinese believes that the minor part MUST obey the major parts if there are conflicted between them.

Originally posted by grad_student

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Question about land leasing.

When the 70 years are up, can I renew the lease? Or, can I keep the land in my family by selling it to a son and will this add 70 more years?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join