It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: American Soldier Survived Sniper Hit; Captures & Medically Treats Sniper

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   
i posted this last week:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

although not as a news story

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
Both video links aren't working anymore, I'd really like to see it too.

If it was the American Soldier that was the sniper, do you think the other guy would've gave him medic?

I just used the same link I posted and it still is working here.

wm.gannett.speedera.net...

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
To be honest, if anyone would shoot at me, without hesitation I'd return fire, call in air support, whatever I had to do to make sure this threat was neutralized. Those people can say whatever they want, even though you can't understand a word of it, but what they're doing is wrong. Period.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

the immediete politicizing of this event and using it as a weapon to attack one's political opposite (we're looking at you, the_oleneo).

Well, I agree....most of the time whenever a soldier or Marine does a terrible negative act, such as shoot an unarmed man or kill an innocent civilian...many people talk about how that act or that person represents most of the military (which it does not). And this happens and these same people are the saying just the opposite. I guess they finally woke up and saw the truth...most of our servicemembers are NOT blood thirsty baby-killers who kill innocents.

What Oleneo said is very true
Sometimes that myth is perpetuated by right-wing nutjobs when they say stupid # like "they show no mercy to us, why should we show them any?"

For some reason, many of your fellow conservatives think that taking the moral high road is a bad thing for the military. Sorry, but I disagree. We need to not become like our enemies, or else we have no moral ground to stand upon.

By the way, not all liberals are anti-American (actually, most of us aren't), and not all are anti-military. I have a lot of friends myself that are in the military, and I have a lot of respect for them.

I, too, would personally appreciate that an event like this not be politicized.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Truly a exemplary effort by the soldier and the unit.

I dont think their was any blood lust or fear in the soldiers eyes, just doing what he was supposed to do I guess! But comendable nonetheless.

About that samurai BS, i think it is total BS. The important thing is to win, this is war not a debate, even if you are Mother Teresa and save every sick child in a war the enemy will still kill you that is a fact. They are fanatical, that is also a fact.
But saving peoples lives is always a good thing, just make sure that your safe first before you save anybody elses life.
Suppose for instance the sniper had a grenade and as soon as the US soldiers came to him he blew himself up with all of them, then what? Does that warrant that we do the honorable thing?

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Great story indeed. The video is pretty amazing! Kevlar or not, the speed at which he was shot, hit the ground, and got back up is pretty incredible, IMO. Definitely handeld that better (more peacefully) than I ever would have.

What I love is during the video, you can either hear the sniper or the camera man saying the words "allah akbar" (translated: allah is the greatest) while they shot at the soldier. I guess their "allah" must be pretty great when the soldier they were attempting to kill ends up treating their wounds.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'm not sure about a medal, but who needs the government to decide who's a hero anyways? We can do that, right here, and abroad.

We can make this guy a household name. Blogs, websites, call in radio shows-grass roots doesn't all have to be fighting "the Man" or a protest. I think it can be used to promote the positive as well.

Anyone got any other ideas? We sure can't sit around and wait for Big Media to do this. They're not as keen on heroes anymore, and prefer villians and ne'er-do-wells.

Originally posted by subz
I feel this behaviour characterizes the vast majority of the US military. Thats why its such a travesty when a few US service personnel engage in abhorrant behaviour. Its not indicitive of what we expect from the United States and the reason I think they are held at a much higher standard than most.

This man deserves a medal. Is there medals for compassion in warfare? Excuse my ignorance here.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I apologize for not checking the video link I've originally posted. I posted it last night before I went to bed and had to go to work the next morning.

This should work: mms://wm.gannett.speedera.net/wm.gannett/atpco/071505sniper.wmv

Give it a try and let me know if you've got 'em alright. It's working after I clicked it.

Again, I apologize to all.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
What does upset me, though, is the immediete politicizing of this event and using it as a weapon to attack one's political opposite (we're looking at you, the_oleneo).

Can you ever leave politics out for a microsecond?

Tough feces.
As soon as the report about the Abu Ghraib prison abuses came out, virtually every anti-war and anti-American leftist from around the world attacked and condemned the entire US military and its entire service personnel on the actions of few idiots responsible for overseeing the prisoners at Abu Ghraib. It galled me that people like you tried to politicized the whole affair and slammed the entire US military before we could get all the facts straight and investigate the incidents in legal manners.

You anti-war folks have a tendency to detect even the slightest little wrong of every US military service personnel and politicize it on a grand scale before the world's eyes. It smacks of hypocrisy, looking-the-other-way and foolishness.
It's like you folks treated all of them as proven guilty before the court of the world's opinions and before all the facts were not even investigated and concluded in full.

There is an expression: there are always a few bad apples out of many good apples out there.

No American soldier deserve the scorn and declared guilty right away just because of one little slight until all the facts are investigated and concluded in full in legal proceedings.

Yes, I'm sort of politicizing this one a bit. Respect is due to the American soldiers currently serving overseas, they're only humans and imperfect but they are nothing like those few idiots who did mistreated and abused the prisoners in wrongful manners at Abu Ghraib.

[edit on 7/18/2005 by the_oleneo]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_oleneo
Tough feces.
As soon as the report about the Abu Ghraib prison abuses came out, virtually every anti-war and anti-American leftist from around the world attacked and condemned the entire US military and its entire service personnel on the actions of few idiots responsible for overseeing the prisoners at Abu Ghraib. It galled me that people like you tried to politicized the whole affair and slammed the entire US military before we could get all the facts straight and investigate the incidents in legal manners.

Now the_oleneo, you know im a leftist and I didnt see this as a political point scoring thread on your part at all. This is a good thread about a good deed and a good man. Lets not detract from his outstanding behaviour with this kind of discussion.

Dont rise to the bait mate

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I don't think it was the Kevlar. The bullet would almost certainlyhave had to hit the trauma plate insert. This speaks to either luck, or a lack of skill on the part of the sniper.

[edit on 17-7-2005 by WyrdeOne]

If by the trauma plate you mean the SAPI plate, you are correct...

Some pics of the plate and the bruse it left...Link

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
OW! You know he's gonna be feeling THAT for awhile. Thank god for it though. I guess that stuff DOES work pretty good.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   

About that samurai BS, i think it is total BS.

I hope you're lucky enough to have someone else repeat the story in a decade or so, when you may be ready to take another shot at understanding.

The important thing is to win, this is war not a debate, even if you are Mother Teresa and save every sick child in a war the enemy will still kill you that is a fact.

I don't think you read the story, or if you did, you have failed to convey your understanding of it to me. In any case...

What's the purpose of all war, do you know the answer to that question? It's not to kill as many as possible, it's not to destroy your enemy, those are incidental and only necessary in extreme circumstances.

The purpose of all war is to create peace.

By any means necessary does not mean by all means. Do you understand?

They are fanatical, that is also a fact.

So are you.
It's like looking at twins from back here where I'm standing...

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
OW! You know he's gonna be feeling THAT for awhile. Thank god for it though. I guess that stuff DOES work pretty good.

Yep gonna be feeling it for a while, one lucky dude, and it was a heart shot too...

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 04:00 AM
link   
supercheetah, WTF are you talking about? I said nothing about anti-military or anti-americanism or anti-anything.....:shk:

By the way, not all liberals are anti-American (actually, most of us aren't), and not all are anti-military. I have a lot of friends myself that are in the military, and I have a lot of respect for them.

I did not said nor did I mean anything about Libs ands Cons........Read my post again..please. I was just saying that whenever a soldier or Marine in Iraq does a negative act (such as kill innocents) many members here and also many foriegn media outlets jump on that and ride it. They will use that as a means to portray the entire US armed forces as a bunch of ruthless baby-killers (which is not the case). Then something like this goes on (a good thing) and the same members and medias are saying just the opposite now......and sometimes it takes a good act like this to open peoples eyes so they can see the truth, that WE are not a gang of ruthless baby-killers.

[edit on 19/7/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I just wanted to add to the discussion of a medal being awarded....

He'll probably get a Purple Heart....

or Bronze Star, Army Commendation Medal....

At any rate, way to go ...

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   

About that samurai BS, i think it is total BS.

I hope you're lucky enough to have someone else repeat the story in a decade or so, when you may be ready to take another shot at understanding.

Why do I need to be lucky? Its those damn jehadis that need to be!
Also, this is one of the many stories that have come to light, their are thousands of such acts that were done which the news services never brought to the publics notice!
Maybe you can step out of your degenerate pansy liberal mindset and actually think about what the man did, typically you liberal leftists are incapable of rational thought so i guess asking you to see this objectively is a bit much!

The important thing is to win, this is war not a debate, even if you are Mother Teresa and save every sick child in a war the enemy will still kill you that is a fact.

What's the purpose of all war, do you know the answer to that question? It's not to kill as many as possible, it's not to destroy your enemy, those are
incidental and only necessary in extreme circumstances.
The purpose of all war is to create peace.

You dont ? That figures!

The answer is simple, to WIN! Also about the moral BS about peace, here is a brain flash for you;
WIN=defeat the enemy=>make him surrender/destroy him completely=no more enemies=PEACE!!
Also-"Incidental,... only in extreem circumstances" Wow! that is new!
Go look up war in the dictionary, it is;
War: 1. A state of open, armed, often prolonged conflict carried on between nations, states, or parties.
Dictionary.com
I am not aware of the pansy liberal's version of war but in the "rational" world, war is armed conflict simply put, I don’t see how it is possible to have armed conflict and not kill people, maybe you play BASE or something and call that war
Here is something you can chew upon about what war really is:
“War is simple, direct, and ruthless.”
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
---George S Patton

By any means necessary does not mean by all means. Do you understand?

Who said by all mean? Not I, maybe your propaganda is getting the better of you and affecting your ability to comprehend!

War is fought to win, no denying that, it is as clear as day, only to the mentaly rational of course!
If you want to go down some metaphysical connotation of war and stupefy us then you are free to rant on!

[edit on 19-7-2005 by IAF101]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Maybe you can step out of your degenerate pansy liberal mindset and actually think about what the man did, typically you liberal leftists are incapable of rational thought so i guess asking you to see this objectively is a bit much!

IAF101, this is the News Forum, please use the decorum this forum requires.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join