It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: American Soldier Survived Sniper Hit; Captures & Medically Treats Sniper

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Army Pfc. Stephen Tschiderer of Mendon, New York, on a routine patrol, was hit by a sniper, seen in video provided below by those who were with the sniper. Then got up, called in for help and located the sniper in which Private Tschiderer captured, then gave medical aid to the sniper who had just attempted to kill the Mendon, New York native.

www.armytimes.com
ArmyTimes.com
During a routine patrol in Baghdad June 2, Army Pfc. Stephen Tschiderer, a medic, was shot in the chest by an enemy sniper, hiding in a van just 75 yards away. The incident was filmed by the insurgent.

Tschiderer, with E Troop, 101st “Saber” Cavalry Division, attached to 3rd Battalion, 156th Infantry Regiment, 256th Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, was knocked to the ground from the impact, but he popped right back up, took cover and located the enemy’s position.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is amazing. Not all American soldiers are cold-hearted, calculating killing machines. There are good men and women, like Tschiderer, in the US military who show more than just being trained killers showing no remorse for the enemy. They show dedication, compassion and mercy for all; honor and respect the rules of combat with the enemy. The US Army don't train people to be heartless killing machines (that's the fantasy stuff propagating by anti-American leftist groups spewing out nonsense about the American military personnel involved in combat or patrolling operations).

The first link below is the video made by the insurgents hoping for an added trophy for the sniper's performance. Nothing gory or graphic involved. Just a clean shot that Tschiderer managed to survive, thankfully.
The second link is the full account in PDF.

Related News Links:
mms:
www.armytimes.com

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I feel this behaviour characterizes the vast majority of the US military. Thats why its such a travesty when a few US service personnel engage in abhorrant behaviour. Its not indicitive of what we expect from the United States and the reason I think they are held at a much higher standard than most.

This man deserves a medal. Is there medals for compassion in warfare? Excuse my ignorance here.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I agree completely subz.

The problem as I see it, is that one story to the contrary will erase whatever good will this story created.

The key is to promote this sort of behavior. We have no moral high ground unless we continue to hold ourselves to more stringent rules than the enemy.

The enemy wins the moment we slip to their level, and everybody knows this.

If we had conducted ourselves as this soldier did, from the beggining, the anti-American viewpoints the world over would be much diminished.

We're supposed to be the good guys, so let's act like it.

This soldier is exemplary of what America is supposed to promote. If I were him, I'd run for president.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   

This man deserves a medal. Is there medals for compassion in warfare? Excuse my ignorance here.

No, however he can get other medals that cover a broad range of reasons why people get them. Im not sure of the Army name for medals...there's a few possibilities. He will probably get a medal due to the publicity of the story. I think he deserves one, outstanding job

[edit on 17/7/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I tried the link to the video, and it wasn't available. Why is it all good publicity is swept away, While the bad is paraded around like a circus act.

Stupid question on my part. I think that it is inherently human to want to see something horrible instead of something good.

Any way the soldiers unbiased treatment of the shooter is a stellar example of humanity.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Absolutely incredible.....I don't think there are many people alive today who have felt the force of a sniper bullet impact and have lived to talk about it....

I assume PFC Tschiderer is in good condition? They failed to give any indication of how the wounded soldier was....Given the quickness with which he got back to his feet, I'm guessing all is well......

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
try this link to view video

wm.gannett.speedera.net...

Note how fast he gets up; apparently the injury was not all that bad or perhaps they are now trained to hit the gound when fired upon for cover.

[edit on 7/17/2005 by shots]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Thank God for kevlar. I bet he's got a beautiful bruise though after that one.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I don't think it was the Kevlar. The bullet would almost certainlyhave had to hit the trauma plate insert. This speaks to either luck, or a lack of skill on the part of the sniper.

Kevlar does a piss-poor job of stopping rifle rounds, whereas even a piddly steel plate will offer decent protection. Upgrade to the high-tech ceramic composites, and you can laugh at 7.62 rounds.

Oh, and for the record, you don't need military training to duck and cover when someone starts shooting at you.

[edit on 17-7-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Thank you for bringing us good news
This and the Aceh/Indonesia peace treaty has made my weekend!

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
That wasn't an "Oh crap, someone just shot at me!" drop. That looked more like an "I'm hit!" drop. He was kind of boneless the way he hit the ground, like he was hit and stunned, and just collapsed. From the videos I've seen, the soldiers don't just drop straight down like that when they come under fire, they dive.. That really looked like it his his body armor and dropped him.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
This soldier is a good man. He is a cut above most human beings. How he gets shot at and still has the compassion to save his assailant's life is unbelievable. This is the kind of person I look up to!

What does upset me, though, is the immediete politicizing of this event and using it as a weapon to attack one's political opposite (we're looking at you, the_oleneo).

Can you ever leave politics out for a microsecond?

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

Oh, and for the record, you don't need military training to duck and cover when someone starts shooting at you.

[edit on 17-7-2005 by WyrdeOne]

Well if that were the case then the Army, et el would not be training people to do it would they?

When I mentioned the training, I was talking about the way he hit the ground then rolled over that is a trained reaction and not one you do by instinct alone.

Good information also contained in this PDF file requires Adobe to open it is the official account.

www.armytimes.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   

the immediete politicizing of this event and using it as a weapon to attack one's political opposite (we're looking at you, the_oleneo).

Well, I agree....most of the time whenever a soldier or Marine does a terrible negative act, such as shoot an unarmed man or kill an innocent civilian...many people talk about how that act or that person represents most of the military (which it does not). And this happens and these same people are the saying just the opposite. I guess they finally woke up and saw the truth...most of our servicemembers are NOT blood thirsty baby-killers who kill innocents.

What Oleneo said is very true

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
This certainly says alot about this man's character. I don't know many soldiers who would have done anything except return fire.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
does anyone know if this falls under the critera for a Medal of Honor? And i do have to agree...the point of what this brave solider did is not about attacking politically. He wants peace, how else to show the Insurgents that they should deal with the US than to give them medical aid and follow what both of our "Good" Books say?

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBurns
This certainly says alot about this man's character. I don't know many soldiers who would have done anything except return fire.

Sure the snipe has intel value. Great job on the part of the PFC. Now we can house the guy at Gitmo and repatriate him to England (sarcasm and no criticism of the UK intended).

If you are allied personnel unfortunate enough to find yourself in combat, remember this maxim:

Find the Enemy; Fix the Enemy; Kill the Enemy.

If fired upon, return a heavier volume of better directed heavier caliber fire from cover and call in superior numbers.

Victory is paid for with Enemy dead.

My two cents- because I loves ya', baby...

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Chakotay
Common misconception, that.

Victory can be earned in any number of ways besides wiping out the enemy. Victory can even be earned in death, so would argue any samurai worth his salt.

A man named Miyamoto Mushashi could have killed any opponent he wished, indeed, he killed more men than most soldiers of the modern era can claim, and he started earlier, killing his first opponent at the age of 13.

saznj.tripod.com...

However, he recognized the virtue in nobility and restraint, and he understood that victory can be achieved without the spilling of blood. He spared at least one man, who later became perhaps the second greatest swordsman in the history of Japan.

I won't dillute the thread any further with an in depth commentary on this story, but suffice to say it is the duty of all killers to find value in life. Killing is easy. It's the understanding, the enlightenment that takes effort.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Both video links aren't working anymore, I'd really like to see it too.

If it was the American Soldier that was the sniper, do you think the other guy would've gave him medic?

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Who knows if the favor would have been returned.

There's a good chance of either outcome, because hostages are somewhat popular with their side apparently.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join