It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Reporter Says Cheney Aide Was a Plame Source

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Lewis Libby, the vice president's chief of staff, has been identified as a source along with Karl Rove. This latest revelation came as increasing pressure is mounting to fire Rove. The information comes from a Time reporter and counters statements made by the White House.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - The vice president's chief of staff, Lewis Libby, was a source along with the president's chief political adviser for a Time story that identified a CIA officer, the magazine reporter said Sunday, further countering White House claims that neither aide was involved in the leak.

In an effort to quell a chorus of calls to fire deputy White House chief of staff Karl Rove, Republicans said that Rove originally learned about Valerie Plame's identity from the news media. That exonerates Rove, the Republican Party chairman said, and Democrats should apologize.

But it is not clear that it was a journalist who first revealed the information to Rove.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The plot thickens in this mess. This is a direct counter to the 2003 statements made by the White House that neither Rove nor Libby had any involvement. The question is how many more will get caught up in this? The White House should cuts its losses now and Rove should (excellent political strategist that he is) offer his resignation. This incident appears to have teeth and gives the Democrats some ammunition for 2006 and perhaps even 2008.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
We debated this at work a lot this week. On one side (i.e. the right-wing spin), Rove spoke to a reporter and helped confirm a story which inadvertently outed a CIA agent. He did nothing illegal, and in fact was doing the country a service by pointing out that Joe Wilson is hardly the independent loyal patriot that he has made himself out to be.
On the other side, (i.e. the left-wing spin) the Bush folks promised to run a 100% ethical, above-board administration. Off-the-record conversations with reporters and character assassination isn't even remotely consistent with that goal. Disclosing classified & sensitive information is a crime, and Rove should do the right thing and resign.
Unfortunately, I think Bush is going to wait until the investigation is done and continue to let the Dems beat the hell out of him on a daily basis.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Does not surprise me at all.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
By telling Time Magazine reporter Matt Cooper that Wilson's Wife was a CIA agent it appears that Rove violated the “Classified Information Nondisclosure Agreement” that he signed when he gained a national security clearence.

As pointed out by Congressman Henry Waxman (D-CA), The nondisclosure agreement falls under Executive Order 12958 which governs how federal employees are awarded security clearances in order to obtain access to classified information. It clearly states that any one who signs this agreement is legally accountable for releasing classified information whther they did it “knowingly, willfully, or negligently”.

The executive order further provides that sanctions for violations are not optional. The executive order expressly provides: “Officers and employees of the United States Government … shall be subject to appropriate sanctions if they knowingly, willfully, or negligently … disclose to unauthorized persons information properly classified.” - source

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
That's good information Delta, only two problems ....

- Rove says that Time told him, not the other way around. This is a case
of 'he said - he said'.

- If we are going to blame anyone for being a CIA leak it should be
JOE WILSON himself. HE is the one that blathered all around D.C.
that his wife was a CIA agent. He loooooooves the spotlight and
he is the one that 'outed' his wife a looooooong time before either
Time and Rove chatted. His wife being a CIA agent was a non-secret
around D.C.

There is a rush to judgement on Rove by the radical left. Be careful
folks. Innocent until proven guilty. There is MUCH more pointing at
Joe Wilson than Rove. If a real investigation is done, Wilson needs
to be included in the suspect list.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Rove says that Time told him, not the other way around. This is a case

Matt Cooper said this in TIME

"So did Rove leak Plame's name to me, or tell me she was covert? No. Was it through my conversation with Rove that I learned for the first time that Wilson's wife worked at the CIA and may have been responsible for sending him? Yes. Did Rove say that she worked at the "agency" on "WMD"? Yes. When he said things would be declassified soon, was that itself impermissible? I don't know. Is any of this a crime? Beats me. At this point, I'm as curious as anyone else to see what Patrick Fitzgerald has."

So it looks like that Cooper learnt it first from Rove, but he is unsure if it is a crime as he didnt name plame but said "wilsons wife". It is unclear to me and I am not going to take any sides and I feel that the law should figure this one out.

If we are going to blame anyone for being a CIA leak it should be
JOE WILSON himself. HE is the one that blathered all around D.C.
that his wife was a CIA agent. He loooooooves the spotlight and
he is the one that 'outed' his wife a looooooong time before either
Time and Rove chatted. His wife being a CIA agent was a non-secret
around D.C.

Whatever Wilson did is irrelevant to the case at hand. It is a simple political trick called deflection. Wilson isnt some raving liberal like those on the radio want you to believe, he was a public supporter of Bush I against Clinton and has the utmost respect for him.

There is a rush to judgement on Rove by the radical left.

as there is a rush to exonerate him and make him a hero by the radical right. Neither of them can be trusted.

Be careful folks. Innocent until proven guilty. There is MUCH more pointing at
Joe Wilson than Rove. If a real investigation is done, Wilson needs
to be included in the suspect list.

I agree innocent until proven guilty. And once again I feel that what is said about Wilson by the right is wrong, they are simply trying to demonize him. Wilson was vindicated by the lack of WMDs in Iraq. Wilson is not the issue here, but there are those who are out there who are trying to pass the buck.

www.commondreams.org...

Finally, I would like to say that regardless of the legality of what it looks like Rove and Libby did, I find the whole thing atrocious and not the sort of behaviour I would want to see in public office. I dont think anyone out there, on the right or left would think what has gone on is good behaviour.

thanks,
drfunk

[edit on 18-7-2005 by drfunk]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
That's good information Delta, only two problems ....

- Rove says that Time told him, not the other way around. This is a case
of 'he said - he said'.

No Rove says Novak told, or at least confirmed, it to him, and Rove then told Cooper that Wilson's wife was a CIA agent, violating his national security non-disclousre agreement in the process.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
IT doesn't matter if the media knew it or not, the fact is Rove, libby or "two senior white house officals" have confirmed it. It is an old trick to make a comment like you know the information, so that the person think you are in the know accidently confirms it.

For example

Reporter: I thought Joesph wilson's wife was an undercover CIA agnet
Offical: SHe is
Reporter: Thanks for confiming for me, I didn't know for sure
Official: CRAP!

I heard an interesting thing that Goveners that become president often have a hard time keeping national security sercrets becuase they are not used to it, and are more comfortable with dealing with things on a state level

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Dirty dogs wherever you go. We had 'em under Clinton, Mr. We've got 'em under GW. We'll have 'em again under Clinton, Mrs.

There hasn't been a significant difference in parties or advisors, or the unelected policymakers in government, in decades. Nor will there be, unless we as the people find a way to change this.

Flush this guy out. Rove couldn't properly advise a bake sale. But that wouldn't be how the "game" is played.

Where's one of those big tidal waves or a comet landing on DC when you need it. Get rid of the advisors, the lobbyists, the power brokers, the kingmakers. Maybe then things can be balanced.

new topics

top topics

join