It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Royal International Air Tattoo 2005

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Well today brought an end to the Royal International Air Tattoo airshow at RAF Fairford here in the UK.

Despite no B-2 (my favourite reason to go) this year the weather was amazingly hot, too hot, and I've come home with some mean browning on my neck and arms. I also very much enjoyed seeing a nice American contingent of aircraft including the A-10 and also the AH-64D Apache.

Of course there were plenty of others around that always bring a heavy breath to the aircraft enthusiast like the B-1 doing a high-speed afterburning flyby or the B-52 coming in for a landing.

I'll get some pictures up as soon as I develop them, but in the mean time did anyone else manage to drop in this weekend?

(Please don't turn this thread into a "plane 1 is better than plane 2" discussion.)

[edit on 17-7-2005 by SimonGray]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray

(Please don't turn this thread into a "plane 1 is better than plane 2" discussion.)

[edit on 17-7-2005 by SimonGray]

Thanks Simon for getting that out of the way. Becaus ewe all know plane 3 is the best

Sorry, had to

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I have followed that show for a bit, but have always wondered why the 'tattoo" monkier. What is its meaning?

Edit: Simon, were the Russians there? I had read a few years back they were no sending planes to shows because they were afraid they would be seized for debts or something???

[edit on 7/17/05 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Tattoo is a military display.

Alternate definitions include a loud repetetive noise, a permanent marking in the skin, a bugle calling sodliers back to barracks, and I think there's another one I'm forgetting.

The first one is the important one though.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
FredT, my guess is that it is more a NATO type thing, at least most of the participation list reads almost like such.

I think the reference to "tattoo" may have something to do with some of the aircraft participating have special paint jobs and such.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
"Military excercise for the purpose of evening entertainment."

www.thefreedictionary.com...

So there you go.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Thanks, WyrdeOne, but here is what I was implying by "tattoo":

And seeing will be believing as organisers promise flying Tigers and other Big Cats at this year's Tattoo. These brightly-coloured aircraft, from squadrons with Tigers or Big Cats in their emblems, have always been a popular addition to the Tattoo and are guaranteed to receive a huge roar of approval.

Royal International Air Tattoo

One such example:

seekerof

[edit on 17-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I wish I could have been there. Sounds like it must have been pretty cool, I would have loved to have seen a B-1 in flight. But a shame there was no B-2, I bet the images would have been great.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

I think the reference to "tattoo" may have something to do with some of the aircraft participating have special paint jobs and such.

seekerof

Well, no. An interesting coincidence, and certainly worth mentioning, but the military display definition is the point. Just as it was when i saw the washington tattoo ( www.mdw.army.mil... )... i'm surprised it even still exists given the semi-security of washington these days.

This definition has fallen into disuse by most (no surprise there), it is however, a reasonable enough usage of the word to be within the first definition offerred by Dictionary.com. Painted aircraft do not appear within the definition, however.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I went this year however unlike last year I could not take any photos as I had just come from a CCF/ATC camp (anyone else go to Boulmer with me?) and did not think to take a camera with me. Personally, I did not think it was as good this year as last however, that is just my personal opinion.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheeStateMachine
This definition has fallen into disuse by most (no surprise there), it is however, a reasonable enough usage of the word to be within the first definition offerred by Dictionary.com. Painted aircraft do not appear within the definition, however.

Erm, excuse me, but I am not talking the literal meaning of "tattoo." Hello?
"Tattoo," when the notion is applied to aircraft, not units on the ground, as in your Washinton tattoo, it symbolizes the paint jobs that appear on some of the aircraft. Hence them having "tattoo's."

Anyhow, really makes no difference to me, but my use and conjecture of "tattoo" certainly had nothing to do with its literal meaning, simply its connotation or symbology.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Simon Gray, you had to just check up on our terran technology don't you? you alien you
j/k

can't wait to see those pictures!

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Erm, excuse me, but I am not talking the literal meaning of "tattoo." Hello?
"Tattoo," when the notion is applied to aircraft, not units on the ground, as in your Washinton tattoo, it symbolizes the paint jobs that appear on some of the aircraft. Hence them having "tattoo's."

Anyhow, really makes no difference to me, but my use and conjecture of "tattoo" certainly had nothing to do with its literal meaning, simply its connotation or symbology.

Or, you could just say "I was wrong then"

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
some nic pics of the show :

cool pics

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Or, you could just say "I was wrong then"

Ok, ok...
Here ya go funny guy.

I explicitly gave an example to what I mentioned concerning the connotation of "tattoo":

as posted by seekerof
.....but here is what I was implying by "tattoo":

Now, that is one hell of a fine "tattoo," wouldn't you think, waynos?

seekerof

[edit on 18-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
simply beautiful

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   

FredT, my guess is that it is more a NATO type thing, at least most of the participation list reads almost like such.

I see the Belgian Tigers where there. Damn shame they don't paint her like this anymore.

[edit on 19-7-2005 by CrazyOrange]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Well i live in a swindon which aint far from fairford at all and i went to the air show ! I took some pictures ! and i got to say the weather was amazing that day !

Here is url for pics i took

Photos

[edit on 20-7-2005 by jupiter1]

top topics

join