It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chemicals and your Health. The Hidden Conspiracy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Preface: This thread is not intended to discuss the politics of environmentalism. Please leave the tree-hugging comments for the mud pits.

A quick survey of current forum topics would leave you to believe that the sky is falling. Let me not mislead the reader, I too see a strange confluence of events. But in my short time here on ATS, I have yet to stumble upon anyone discussing what I see as the most serious threat to our well-being.

Man has been playing with chemicals as nearly as long as he�s been farming. And now at the apex of our civilization we have 100,000 chemicals available on the commercial market. Europe and some other countries have done a good job in regulating some of the more deadly chemicals. But most of us, we are subject to a silent killer. Since Rachael Carson�s breakthrough book, �Silent Spring�, we are still exposed to chemicals on a daily basis, which have profound impacts on our bodies and our health.

The Environmental Working Group completed a study on 9 people. Below are the numbers of chemicals found in those nine by their associated health hazard.

Cancer 76
Birth Defects 79
Vision 11
Hormone System 86
Stomach or intestines 84
Kidney 80
Brain, nervous system 94
Reproductive system 77
Lungs/Breathing 82
Skin 84
Liver 69
Cardiovascular System/Blood 82
Hearing 50
Immune system 77
Male reproductive system 70
Female reproductive system 61

www.ewg.org...

So you ask, where�s the conspiracy? It�s quite simple. It�s racketeering.

Let me illustrate. Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS) is the most commonly used ingredient in hygiene products. It�s in 90% of shampoos and many other hygiene products. When the FDA evaluated SLS (there are also several derivatives), they found carcinogenic effects, but not in quantities enough to restrict its use. What the FDA studies �fail� to account for are the chronic effects and the synergistic effects of this common compound.

www.safe2use.com...

You combine the dangers of SLS with all the other potentially dangerous chemicals and then bam, one day you have �cancer� or some other debilitating disease. Now you�re caught up in the health care system. Merck and other pharmaceutical companies will now sell you outrageously priced drugs only elevating the number of toxins in your body. You are now caught in the perpetual care system of symptom reduction. Merck and other pharmaceutical companies don�t want you to actually get healthy. They want you to suppress certain symptoms with their drugs, which in continued usage causes other symptoms that require reduction. All the while, thousands of compounds continue to enter our body.

It should be no surprise that the Health Care industry is the largest industry in the United States. It contributes 15% of the Gross Domestic Product! So you see, we can�t have clean air, clean water, safe foods and safe hygiene products. It would cripple the largest segment of the economy.

www.ndu.edu...

This is a growth industry. The World Health Organization reports that cancer rates could increase by 50% between now and 2020. Of course diet, exercise and smoking adversely affect your health. But if you read the article, it says nothing of pesticides, detergents and plastics.

www.who.int...

Terrorism is a very real threat. Global conflict is a very real threat. HAARP is a very real threat. But the next time you�re cooking dinner, take a look at the label. The next time you�re buying shampoo, take a look at the label. This silent war is killing us all.

We are the canary in the coal mine.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Good Topic Kukla.

Very interesting.

arc

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I agree - I read Silent Spring as a teenager and the fact that every single mammal on the planet now has DDT in it's liver was a very unnerving thought.

I don't believe that chemical companies deliberately set out to poison us, but I do agree that they supress research into alternative products and medication so as not to lose revenue, as well as information on commonly used food additives. Nutrasweet anyone? We're all poisoning ourselves.

Education is vital - many of us try to buy cotton clothing as it is supposed to be more natural, but cotton is one of the most demanding crops on this planet and uses requires vast amounts of water, pesticides and fertilisers. Likewise with coffee and tobacco. Now I smoke and I accept that tobacco contains many chemicals harmful to my health, however many of them are ADDED both during and after the growing process. Occasionally I wonder how less harmful organic cigarettes would actually be. I smoke roll ups, so no chemicals in filters or to keep the tobacco burning, and discovered at a quit smoking group that although I smoked as much as those on tailormades, the levels of carbon monoxide in my lungs was a QUARTER of that of a regular non-rolling smoker.

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by arc
I don't believe that chemical companies deliberately set out to poison us, but I do agree that they supress research into alternative products and medication so as not to lose revenue, as well as information on commonly used food additives. Nutrasweet anyone? We're all poisoning ourselves.

Thank you arc for your response. I had forgotten about this thread.

Are companies doing it deliberately. No.

But are they employing the Best Available Control Technologies? No, that would squeeze profit margins.

And if a certain additive makes something taste much better, i.e. Nutrasweet, you think there first priority is your health?

Have you ever wondered about the flouride in your water. Ever thought about where they get the flouride for your water...you don't want to know.

new topics

top topics

join