It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Indonesia and Aceh Rebels Reach Peace Accord

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 05:41 AM
link   
29 years of war came to an abrupt end Saturday, with the Indonesian President's approval of a peace agreement with rebels from the Aceh province. Under the peace deal, negotiated in Finland, the rebels would gain political representation and tsunami relief aid. The Aceh province was devastated by that event, and has yet to recover.

www.usatoday.com
The draft accord, which hinged on an agreement to allow the separatist Free Aceh Movement to form its own political party, was sent to Jakarta for approval by President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.

"The president has agreed to the draft submitted by GAM about political parties" Djalil said Sunday morning, referring to the Free Aceh Movement by its Indonesian acronym.

The two sides are scheduled to meet later in the day to initial the deal. It will be signed at a formal ceremony in the Finnish capital in mid-August.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Could it be for real? The Indonesian people hope so. The Indonesian Government hopes so. The energy lobby for foreign investors hopes so. Even other nations in similar situations, places like the Philippines and Thailand, want this to happen. It would surely be nice to see these conflicts resolved.

The guerillas hope so, conditional on their ability to do with a political party what they've been trying to accomplish for the last 29 years with guns: statehood.

They want a free islamic republic, and there're ample reasons to think they'll continue to want that. Aceh is very rich in natural energy resources, both oil and gas. It's unlikely the Indonesian government is willing to give that territory up to any newly formed independent state.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Thanks for bringing us good news. I hope this holds.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
You and me both.

It's really cool that one of the longest running modern conflicts ended yesterday, I hope it's a sign of good things to come.

I hope the rebels still feel diplomatic after the aid has been distributed, and I also hope that the government doesn't give the muslim demographic a raw deal come power-sharing time. If the government gets too stingey, or the separatists get too greedy, we're right back where we started.

Unfortunately, most Indonesians are in agreement: the muslims are trying to punch above their weight. They have classically wanted a greater degree of control over the direction of the country than their 5% would logically allow them.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Indonesia is a predominantly muslim country isnt it?

Great news the Aceh conflict is over. The massacres from the late nineties were horrific. If Aceh returns to normalcy it will hopefuly deny Jamal Islamiah safe haven.

Edit: 88% muslim according to the CIA

[edit on 17/7/05 by subz]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
It's not a strictly muslim vs. others issue. The only ones who vocally support statehood are the Aceh muslims. Most muslims in Indonesia are content to remain Indonesian.

The Aceh muslims, as I understand the situation, want to turn Aceh into a independant theocratic state. They have the support of only a very small percentage of the muslims in the area, again, as I understand it.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to spread disinformation.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Its always nice to see some positive news on this front. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Hoping this comes to fruition, for both sides. Peace is a wonderful thing, but hard to achieve.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
In a new development, an Indonesian military commander has 'sweetened' the peace deal by threatening to invade if all weapons aren't turned over.

Sorry folks, false peace alarm. Return to your regularly scheduled war.

news.xinhuanet.com...

new topics

top topics

join