It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does the Spacecraft get to the Launch Pad?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The size of the VAB is actually more crazy because what they have built it it ie the Saturn V rockets. those things where massive hence why the doors go so high on the side of the building.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Canada_EH
Oh interesting tid bit of info for yah the US flag that was painted on the side of the VAB well one of the stripes is big enough to drive a full sized tour bus down.

lol, i'm assuming you took the tour. Because years back when I was there out tour guide on the bus said those exact words...and it stuck with me ever since.

and I agree with richard...I mean of course there gonna use a crane, its either that ot they get a thick rope and pulley and gather all Nasa employees to all pull on the rope to hoist the shuttle onto the tank.

Using a crane to put the shuttle on the external tank, is about as ingenious as a fireman using water to put out a fire.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I'm more impressed by the SIZE of the crane more than the fact that they use a crane. That thing is massive.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Using a crane to put the shuttle on the external tank, is about as ingenious as a fireman using water to put out a fire.

So what you're saying is, Gasolean shouldn't be used to put out fires? hmmm.. water, that's it!

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   

So what you're saying is, Gasolean shouldn't be used to put out fires? hmmm.. water, that's it!

Ahhhh..........I see now....explains why it seemed to make it worse.
Thanks for the tip!

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
When you took the tour did they mention that the VAB has to be climate controlled otherwise it would develope its own weather systems inside?

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
When you took the tour did they mention that the VAB has to be climate controlled otherwise it would develope its own weather systems inside?

I dont remember then talking about it in that much detail.

However...I would assume it is just for that fact that it would be a more comfortable environment to work in.

and I dont think it would rain in there or anything...that only happens in really big open spaces...then building has a lot of stuff in it, if it was completely empty then it might rain inside.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   

The VAB is not air conditioned, the shuttle hangers and the rotating service structer at the pad are.

It sometimes does 'rain' inside the VAB!

[edit on 20-7-2005 by Nacnud]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nacnud

The VAB is not air conditioned, the shuttle hangers and the rotating service structer at the pad are.

It sometimes does 'rain' inside the VAB!

[edit on 20-7-2005 by Nacnud]

Got a link to that info Nacnud? i find it hard to belive that they woudl let it rain in a building that has millions in equipment in it.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I stand corrected...

the link
As you enter the VAB's central hallway and look up, you realize how large an expanse this building is. A building of this size sometimes has some odd aspects. For example, I have been inside the VAB on a bright summer day, and see it "rain" inside the VAB. Water vapor condenses on the inside of the roof, and rains back down on humid days. One year, I was in the VAB with Atlantis parked in one of the bays, and they had to suspend a huge tarp over the Orbiter to protect it from the moisture raining down.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Moving Space Shuttle inside VAB is very easy. But what about to transport back Douglas Ithacus Sr rocket after it is used [64 meters high, 6400 tons in weight - 195 feet, 14 096 000 pounds]. Simply to refuel and start from the field is a bit unreallistic, because the cumulative engines power was 80.2 MN. link

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join