It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FYI: Banned member today (IlluSionS667)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
A "revisionist" Nazis joined recently and began several threads based on grossly incorrect historical references and perspectives. His brand of total and complete ignorance was so insurmountable, there was little choice but to ban him and remove his posts.

While this may seem like some to censorship, removal of incorrect information is not.

The challenge of promoting free expression is having the integrity to defend ideas and philosophies that you detest. However, keep in mind this is a private owned domain... which is a very important one.

Because of our Google popularity (the search engine now has over 300,000 of our pages indexed), people come attempting to promote ideals such as revisionist Nazis history (among others). As a result of our direct XML feed to Google, new posts can arrive at the top of searches in less than 24 hours.

For example, the new forum on creationism conspiracies became the #1 Google search return on a search for creationism conspiracy (out of over 100,000 pages) in just 12 hours.

Our massive popularity finds us considering a new level of responsibility for material contained in our forums. Hateful racism never had a place on ATS, and we acted quickly to remove it.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Thank you, people like that don't help our cause at ALL. Censorship? Nah...if he'd have read the rules, he'd have seen NUMBER 1.

1.) You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.

2.) You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

Violation of any aspect of the Terms and Conditions of use are subject to our Actions for general abuse and violations. Or, in extreme cases, immediate banning of your username and IP from the discussion board. In all disputes, the decisions of myself and administrative staff are final.

Lastly, and most important, this is a privately owned discussion board community. The administration and senior moderator staff reserve the right to take action against any member who is deemed to be devoted purely to disruption or whose actions represent behavior contrary to community building.. This action may include complete banning of your username and IP address.

That was the absolute right thing to do...

[edit on 16-7-2005 by JBurns]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
For example, the new forum on creationism conspiracies became the #1 Google search return on a search for creationism conspiracy (out of over 100,000 pages) in just 12 hours.

Our massive popularity finds us considering a new level of responsibility for material contained in our forums. Hateful racism never had a place on ATS, and we acted quickly to remove it.

Seems that if you build it they will come. A great power indeed.

Glad to see ATS stopping racism. Nothing makes me more mad then prejudice.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
It's not censorship, especially if it's outlined in the T&C

1.) You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.

2.) You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

Racist scumbags are only capable of spewing garbage that would violate #'s 1 and 2....therefore thay have no place here, IMO.

And the survey says....

Good call

[edit on 16/7/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
You guys run a great forum and that's all we need is some dirtbag promoting his Nazi trash. Keep up the good work.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I thought you guys were monitoring new people joining the forum, as in making them wait for acceptance.

If not then I think you guys should do it again. If so, I think you should be more diligant on you efforts there.

I like this forum, its the only forum I have stayed on for more than 3 months, including my own forums that I just let drop because I lost interest.

Anyway I am glad seeing actions taken on this..

I agree with free speech but garbage like white power and kill everyone else exept white has not place for anyone to see.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Well Sir, you have to do what you have to do. We all should say thank you for sharing your decision with ATS members.

Dallas

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Glad to see we don't allow the freedom of speech to be abused in such a manner. Racism is sheer ignorance, and when people try spreading it we deny them, in this case with the ban hammer. Hooray for Skeptic!

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Hooray for Skeptic!

I didn't ban him. Your diligent staff of moderators was on the ball... I'm just the bringer of the news.

UM_Gazz was the first to pull the post-ban trigger.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Woah, you mean that you and Simon aren't the only one's who can ban people? Guess that means that means ATS is more secure than I thought it was.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I've only been here 9 months, and in that time I've probably observed at least two to three waves of holocaust deniers/neo-Nazis come to ATS. Hopefully this isn't the start of another.

Well done Gazz, and thanks for the announcement SO.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Quick question:

Can we actually question the holocaust on ATS or not then?

Or is it classed as an assumed historic fact?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Quick question:

You are as always free to discuss anything within proper context and in the proper forums. As of right now we do not have a forum for discussing revized history. Let the Terms & Conditions be your guide.

In the case involving the member that was banned, it was a clear violation of the Terms & Conditions set by the site owner.

Gazz

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Good Job Overlord

Racism and nazistic views should have no place either here or anywhere else... people who choose to be ignorant, should find their own way...

Its not censorship, because you're not hidding anything correct...its CLEANING and keeping Trash like that from polutiing other peoples eyes and hearts.

Quick question:

:shk: question the Holocaust ???? UNREAL ! what is there to question ? Did the Jewsih people trow themsleves in the ovens ? and marked themselves like catle ? UNBELIVEBLE ! Whats there to question about holocaust ?? Arent tapes, videos, photos, newspapers, and even Hitler's own confessions enough ? It IS a FACT.

[edit on 16-7-2005 by BaastetNoir]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

"Assumed?"

Amazing.

Ignorance creep.

Well... based on my experiences with two neighbors who survived (with the tattoos), I would say there is no questioning.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I thought it was the policy of ATS not to discuss banned members in the interest of board sanity?

Were you guys just getting a lot of inquiries regarding the matter, or what?

The T&C are good, especially regarding false information. It should definitely be enforced.

I just thought y'all weren't in the habit of discussing every schmuck who gets shown the door.

question the Holocaust ???? UNREAL ! what is there to question ? Did the Jewsih people trow themsleves in the ovens ? and marked themselves like catle ? UNBELIVEBLE ! Whats there to question about holocaust ?? Arent tapes, videos, photos, newspapers, and even Hitler's own confessions enough ? It IS a FACT.

There is merit in researching more deeply into the holocaust. It certainly happened, anyone who questions that denies all the evidence. However, it may have happened in a much different fashion than we're told.

Moneyed Jews may have financed the camps to an extent, and deals were certainly made behind the scenes sparing those lives 'worth' more. The targets were primarily poor mixed-race semites, Gypsies and Jews. Even the full blooded gypsies were of little concern to Hitler.

Reactions like the above by Baastet make it hard to find anything out though. It's like looking for a needle in a bramble patch... Everything is pokey.

SO
Aren't they really IBM serial numbers?

[edit on 17-7-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Agree with this 100%

Ignorance and propaganda leading to the denial of something so supremely awful such as the holocaust is just something you have to act on.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
"Our massive popularity finds us considering a new level of responsibility for material contained in our forums."

We ought to find ways to cut down on the swearing on ATS and the other forums. Searchbots ban us for that.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Hey Nerdling. *waves*

WyrdeOne: it is not policy to discuss openly "every schmuck," just the ones having significant board relevance. This is actually a carryon/carryover discussion from the Stormfarter infiltrations.

seekerof

[edit on 17-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
bodebliss
The censors stopped functioning inexplicably?

Seekerof
See, for me, that's all the more reason to flush and forget.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join