It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Another Day in Iraq, Only 55 killed in One Attack

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The war on terrorism, Iraq?

Just another normal day for the liberated Iraqis?

Today a suicide bomber in a fuel truck killed 55 people in a town south of Baghdad. This following a week of terrorist attacks and suicide bombings including children who's lives were claimed in a terrorist attack whilst recieving candy and toys from US soldiers. Welcome to Iraq!

Link

The latest in a series of spectacular guerrilla attacks to rattle Iraq.

The bomb, which police said exploded near a Shi'ite mosque and market, also wounded 82 people in the town of Musayyib.

It followed several attacks which killed at least 16 people, including three British soldiers, on Saturday.

The frenzy of suicide attacks suggests the government still has a long way to go before stamping out such attacks, which officials say is the biggest security threat to Iraq.

A suicide bomber in a car hit the Doura district in south Baghdad, killing three civilians and two policemen, a police source said.

Violence also erupted near the northern city of Mosul. A suicide bomber strapped with explosives attacked a police station, killing four policemen, police said.

Ten militants blew themselves up across Baghdad on Friday and another attacked Iskindiriya, south of the capital, killing at least 32 people, police said.

In Amara in southeast Iraq, three British soldiers died in what the Ministry of Defense in London said was a suspected roadside bomb. It said the deaths brought to 92 the number of British soldiers who have died in Iraq, including 53 killed in action.

A little-known Iraqi insurgent group said in a Web statement that it was behind the killing of the British soldiers in southern Iraq on Saturday.

Well, there you have it, just another day in Iraq, another day for the Iraqis. Forget that they were victims of Saddam and his now former regime, forget the wars, forget the abuse from all sides. This is the new Iraq we have now helped create there.

I have heard some in the Bush administration say things like “it is better to fight them there than here at home”

So now they have the terrorists in Iraq doing exactly what they want them to do?

We have liberated the Iraqis, we have also liberated the terrorists in Iraq.

No matter when, or how. When the USA leaves Iraq I believe history will show that we helped make things far worse for the common and often forgotten Iraqi. Politics aside, agendas in check. Is the war in Iraq helping the Iraqi people?

55 people killed in one attack in Iraq, no big deal! Just another normal day there. Move along nothing to see here.

ESP

[edit on 16-7-2005 by EvilSockPuppet]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSockPuppet
Politics aside, agendas in check. Is the war in Iraq helping the Iraqi people?

I think this poll of Iraqis (from April of last year) is very telling. Click the questions at the top of the graphics to see the answers. There's a lot of information there.
Poll: Iraqis Out of Patience
Click on (Graphic: Iraqis surveyed)

Also:
Baghdad: Then and Now

I can only imagine those left alive have lost even more patience since this poll was taken.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Allow me to counter-stroke both of you and say that the Iraqi people are not going to tolerate foreign terrorists commiting and continuing such acts.
These attacks are doing nothing but bring the sects and people of Iraq together to combat this continued crap. Like anything else, time is involved, but the direction of both your assertions on the Iraqi 'situation' can be spun a number of ways.

I can understand how these were overlooked when making your comments within this topic.
Zarqawi hits back at his former mentor, vows to kill more Shiites.
Tide Turning on al-Qa'eda In Iraq?

Question:
When you look at a half cup of water, you obviously see it as half-empty?
If you do, your underestimating and shortchanging the people of Iraq and the efforts to help them.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Forgive me for resorting to metaphor, but isn't the situation in Iraq a bit like remodeling a house? We didn't like the old one, and we wanted to change it, right? (not that it was our business to mess with their house, but anywho..)

So we've got this house, and the foundation it rests on is dictatorial rule from a military leader.

We went in and blew up the foundation. We had great concepts of how the house would look after everything was finished, but we had no idea just how hard it would be to demolish a foundation and keep the house intact, nevermind build a NEW foundation of democracy yadda yadda, while the house still teeters precariously sans foundation.

We should have allowed nature to take its course, and let a popular uprising remove Hussein from power, similar to what happened in Iran some years back.

Of course, this was unlikely to happen, since Hussein kept gas prices low, kept the lights on and the water running, raised education standards, and clamped down on terrorists with his own brand of terrorism.

Not at all disimilar to what we're doing right now, we're terrorizing the terrorists, just like he did.

It's pretty clear to some people that we've simply taken Hussein's place, subjugating one element of society for the benefit of another. Hussein's chosen victims were the Kurds, we're going after Sunnis. Huge difference? Not exactly.

Bottom line, don't pull out the support beams until you've got the jacks in place.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Question:
When you look at a half cup of water, you obviously see it as half-empty?
If you do, your underestimating and shortchanging the people of Iraq and the efforts to help them.

Again the "Half Full - Half Empty Cup Tactics".

It doesnt take a Genius to see that Iraq is getting More and More Violent and that the Attacks are not really decreasing but the opposite.

Iraq is on the Edge of Civil war - or it already is in the middle of Civil War.

Great Liberation I must admit.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I see your continued support and activism in supporting efforts against the Iraqi people and those helping them are still at full throttle, Souljah.

Certainly something to be proud of, huh?

You see, to me, despite whether one supported the war or was against it, the damage is done. Saddam go bye-bye. Iraqi people have established a new government. They are on the verge of creating their constitution.

Things are painfully progressing forward. As such, to continue to thwart with propaganda and to support those against such positive progressive Iraqi activities is certainly one of choice, but certainly not a positive choice.

With the damage already done, efforts are now aimed towards gathering what is left of Iraq, getting it back together. To support those that would deter and prevent such activities, those activites that would undoubtedly make the Iraqi lives better, is to support what? You tell me. Cause if your rhetoric is because you want better for the Iraqi people, then why do you continue to support the efforts of those who are continually and violently against those positive desired effort/effects(s)?

seekerof

[edit on 16-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Certainly something to be proud of, huh?

Things are painfully progressing forward.

With the damage already done, efforts are now aimed towards gathering what is left of Iraq, getting it back together.

Tell me, what have we to be proud of in Iraq?

Why did we go there in the first place?

"Damage" Yeah too much to make it worth while so far.

Sometimes the American people are lead down a path based on false information or even lies. What is even more shocking is that some will still step forward despite the facts and say everything is getting better there.

I say it matters less what any of us think about this, what really matters is the perceptions of the Iraqi people. In the end it is they who will have to deal with all that is left for them by the evil on all sides.

In iraq, if you are Iraqi. who are your real enemies?

ESP

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Politics aside, agendas in check.

I have answered with my opinion and posted a poll of Iraqis opinions. So, although the thought of being counter-stroked by you, Seekerof, is intriguing, I don't have an argument.
I do see your point.

The damage is certainly already done, and I commend your attitude of accountability. Let's fix it. But the original question was "Is the war in Iraq helping the Iraqi people?" I say no.

Was removing Saddam a good move? Absolutely! But if we had planned for it, and really been doing it to liberate the Iraqis, I think we could have gotten out of there slick as a whistle.
But we went running over there under false pretenses, like the bully we are, without a good, comprehensive plan, and really screwed things up. It's hard not to be pretty furious about that. Especially since no one is taking responsibility and being accountable!

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I am proud that the Coalition is doing something that otherwise, you supporters of those against such efforts, would have not happen: the continued, painfully slow, progressive, betterment of the Iraqi people.

I am proud of those who have sacrificed their lives to make such happen.

I am proud of the Iraqi people for their continued perseverance.

I am proud to say that when I look at a half cup of water, that I can say that it is half-full rather that half-empty.

I am proud of the Iraqi people for standing up to acts of terrorism; to say that they will do what is necessary to eventually thwart it and those that sponsor it, even if it means continuing to deal with the deaths that result from such acts.

If I was an Iraqi, the real enemy would be those that are actively supporting and committing such acts of continued terrorism. Though I disdain the occupation, I understand that the overall purpose for it is to help Iraq and its people. Of course, I am not a fundementalist, extremist, or jihadist, so my answers will not be to your liking, but hey, that is "if" I was an Iraqi.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

With the damage already done, efforts are now aimed towards gathering what is left of Iraq, getting it back together. To support those that would deter and prevent such activities, those activites that would undoubtedly make the Iraqi lives better, is to support what? You tell me. Cause if your rhetoric is because you want better for the Iraqi people, then why do you continue to support the efforts of those who are continually and violently against those positive desired effort/effects(s)?

This war had NOTHING to do with Democracy in the First Place.

This war had NOTHING to do with Liberating the Iraqi People.

This war had NOTHING to do with Weapons of Mass Destruction.

This was had NOTHING to do with Saddam links to Al-Qaeda.

This war is just about 3 things:

- OIL

- CONQUEST

- MONEY

Everything else is just Made up. Its False. Its not There. Its just a Mirage in the Deserts of Iraq.

Installing a False Goverment and pretending its Democracy is nothing but a Cover up for all the FILTH and DIRT that goes on in Iraq behind it. All the Frauds, all the Lies, all the Corruptions just tell me One thing - that while the War in Iraq goes on and on and on and on, SOME People get More and More and More and More Money. Some Corporations get Bigger and get Fatter, and their Stocks RISE with the number of DEAD American and Iraqi People.

Who Wins Here?

Iraqi People? Sure Not!

American People? I dont think so!

The Few Rich People that WANTED this WAR in the First place? YOU BET!

But HEY, its just Politics Right?

There wont be Peace in Iraq for a Long Long Time now - thanks to the Great President Bush Junior and his Fellow Mafia-Politicians.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
If I was an Iraqi, you would most certainly be deemed an "enemy."

Typical Revolutionaries...one for all and all for one.

Acts of terrorism: good.
Acts contrary to yours: bad.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Once again, the human factor goes un-noticed. Be proud!

I too am proud of our soldiers who have done their jobs as directed. And those killed in action are victims, just like those Iraqis killed in these terrorist attacks.

“If we were Iraqis” well there is no real way to know how they are now dealing with all that has been forced upon them over these many years of war, pain and suffering.

I am sure “hope” is fading fast among most Iraqis. I can imagine that by now there is growing frustration over the US lead occupation of Iraq. I can’t imagine living under the many threats they now face everyday, from all sides.

I believe there is little overall to be proud of in Iraq, based on why we went there, what has happened and continues since, and the prospect of the future Iraq is not better, in fact it could be far worse. They say if you play with fire you’ll burn yourself, perhaps future history will show just that. Failure is hard to admit or accept, even harder to cover up.

I am just one voice, only one opinion, everyone has one. Right?

ESP

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I am proud that the Coalition is doing something that otherwise, you supporters of those against such efforts, would have not happen: the continued, painfully slow, progressive, betterment of the Iraqi people.

So Concerned for the Iraqi People You are, huh?

Tell me - have you heard about the Sudan Crisis?

Despite 21 years of conflicts, more than 2 million dead, 6 million forced to flee their homes, thousands of women and children abducted and/or raped and hundreds of villages destroyed and relatives still missing, not one perpetrator of war crimes or crimes against humanity is known to have been brought to justice in Sudan.

web.amnesty.org...

How come good ol' USA dont come and Free those People, that Suffer much more then the Iraqi people ever were?

There are Terrorists Cells also operating in Sudan.

And they have Some Oil Reserves.

Why Not Sudan?

Its a bit Far from the Geo-Political Ambitions and Goals of your Goverment.

And Who cares for more Dead Africans Anyway....

[edit on 16/7/05 by Souljah]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
As soon as you actively make efforts to support the Sudan situation, let me know Souljah, I be right beside you.

EvilSocketPuppet, you have the right to do as you wish, just as I.
Opinions and beliefs will conflict, but yes, you, as with any others here, have all the right to say as thy see fit. Be careful though, for there are those who will contest, and that, they also have the right to.

And as is your right, certainly if you wish to continue to see the cup as half empty, then by all means, you are certainly well within your rights and entitlements to believe that.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   

As soon as you actively make efforts to support the Sudan situation, let me know Souljah, I be right beside you.

I have Written about Sudanese Crisis Lots of Times (probably the Only one here) - but I dont see any US Efforts to Eliminate the Sudanese Crisis: instead the threats are made against Iran, Syria (yet another country in the Middle East, wow!) and North Korea.

Geopolitcs dont go to Africa, Sir.

Its not Important.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

And as is your right, certainly if you wish to continue to see the cup as half empty, then by all means, you are certainly well within your rights and entitlements to believe that.

In a world of dreams and lies my cup is always full and perfect. How one sees a half full or half empty cup is irrelevant.

Is your cup filling or emptying?

Only time will tell!

ESP

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   

as posted by Souljah
...but I dont see any US Efforts to Eliminate the Sudanese Crisis...

We know why you don't see such US efforts?
It is because you are not really looking, are you?
Be honest.
Nothing wrong or perverse about being honest.

EvilSockPuppet, the difference between you and I, is that even if my cup was emptying, it would continue to be viewed as "full" to me.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   

We know why you don't see such US efforts?
It is because you are not really looking, are you?
Be honest.
Nothing wrong or perverse about being honest.

C'mon Mister!

21 Years of Non-Stop Conflicts and what has been to to STOP it?

Please!

I should look with a Giant SpyGlass to find any traces of Help that came to Sudan in those Years!

Now You Be Honest and tell me - could the USA help Sudan in Any Way, but they did not for some reason or the Other?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The US has been the largest supporter of Operation Lifeline Sudan

seekerof

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   

EvilSockPuppet, the difference between you and I, is that even if my cup was emptying, it would continue to be viewed as "full" to me.

Well, now there you have it!

Are we seeing this world through “rose colored glasses” or reacting to realities we cannot easily explain away?

Drink from that cup, Taste the blood of enemies and innocents alike. Feel better now?

Talk is cheap and changes nothing on our end. We can however, each one of us deny ignorance. Your beloved site motto.

This war was started on false information, all defense of it fades in the face of the facts no one can now deny or cover up. People in Iraq now face daily horrors beyond our collective imagination.

You can fill your cup with whatever you wish, see it how you like.

Why not come to the world stage and drink a cup of reality for a change?

Could you handle it?

ESP

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join