It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Half-Blood Prince, Finished ***SPOILERS WITHIN***

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   

WOW.

The book, in my opinion, was very good. It had a very different tone than the other books, which was very welcome. The other books were very immature and childish, and while Order of the Phoenix took a different route from those, it was also imperfect. Harry in that book was very absurd, lashing out in a completely uncharacteristic and unnatural way. That was very thankfully gone in this book.

I could've done without some of the mushy crap, but it was destined. It seemed a little fanfic at the time, but looking back at it it seems quite natural and, although a little odd, not at all far from possible.

It was a much older book. References were made to "rude hand gestures" at least five times, I believe. Rowling even used the word "slut."
Pretty much exactly what I've always felt is some of the fault of these books - too young.

I'm interested in what people have to say about it when they finish it. One thing I liked about the later books was that the first three were stories in their own, but set up a history with which to tell the real story with. The fourth was leading up to that, providing the ground work. I feel that (part of the fourth and) the last three books are basically one giant story, just spread out over three years.

**Spoiler**
**Spoiler**
**Spoiler**
**Spoiler**
**Spoiler**

I personally feel that Albus Dumbledore did not die. I think (and I'm less sure of this part) that it was Aberforth, his goat-charming brother. The note indicated not only a lack of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore (R.A.B.?) but mentioned the true horcrux. It's possible that Aberforth was in some way made a horcrux, or some part of him, as an attempt by Voldemort to prevent Albus from destroying the horcrux(es). Also possible is that Aberforth found it and destroyed it, or by dieing destroyed it. If any of these are true, it's very probable that Snape isn't evil (which I don't buy, and not just because he hesitated with Narcissa) and yet could still keep his promise to kill Albus. I'd also like to add that that weakening draught could have been a ploy to trick the Death Eaters into thinking that Albus had been tricked and Snape could kill him, when really Aberforth was giving his life for the Order, as it is suspected he works for them.

The author of this post holds no responsibility if you learn something you should not have known.

[edit on 7/16/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
who is Albus Dumbledore???

i didn't read the book (obviously) but is he THE Dumbledore as in the principle or whatever???

thanks...

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Headmaster.

I didn't put this in because it was just a hunch I had and could find no corroborating evidence, but I figure, what the hell.

I vaguely remember a relative (maybe Aberforth) going by the name Rufus. Rufus Dumbledore would most definitely fit the R.A.B. necessity.

(gonna read the first books alllllll over again to find this!)

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
i have finnished the book also ...... how many hours did it take you Amorymeltzer it took me around 14hrs lol

any way agree with you about Albus Dumbledore returning in the next book in a big way......the only thing i can complain about the plot is that the harrys love life is at the end of the book just a bit too cheezy

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
4h30m

Cheesy, yes, but it's definitely not outside the realm of possibility, and is definitely something Harry would say/do.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Headmaster.

I didn't put this in because it was just a hunch I had and could find no corroborating evidence, but I figure, what the hell.

I vaguely remember a relative (maybe Aberforth) going by the name Rufus. Rufus Dumbledore would most definitely fit the R.A.B. necessity.

(gonna read the first books alllllll over again to find this!)

Amory -- I am really dense today - read the book yesterday with a migraine (not fun -- but I HAD to read it right away) and will re-read it today or tomorrow for sure ---- but I'm not understanding the R.A.B. connection to Dumbledore's brother? Please enlighten me

And if Harry doesn't go back to school next year -- will he be the English equivalent of a High School Drop-out??

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640

And if Harry doesn't go back to school next year -- will he be the English equivalent of a High School Drop-out??

I doubt it, cause the 6th year was the same time Fred and George dropped out last time

I also believe that Dumbledore is not dead...he just...cant die! HE CAN'T I TELL YA!

Alltho, that might be a reason for Harry to get stronger and kill Voldemort

Correction: The Rufus I was thinking of was Rufus Scrimgeour, the new Minister of Magic

[edit on 17-7-2005 by Reikuro]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I just finished it this morning, and am still trying to come to a decision on how I feel about it.

It was definitely more infomative over real action I think, and less dark than the last one, death of Dumbledore not withstanding.

I'm wondering if Snape was really evil or killed Dumbledore under orders to get closer to Voldemort to finally undo him. I guess we'll have to wait until number 7...your idea that Dumbledore might not actually be dead is interesting, I hadn't thought of that...

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Well, She has been saying that a major character WILL BE Killed in this issue.
Check out her site:
www.jkrowling.com...
Het that it had to be Dumbledorff though

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I finished my copy yesterday, I can't believe it was Dumbledore, I was expecting the death of maybe Snapes or Malfoy, not Dumbledore.

but even though he is now dead, I'm sure we'll still from him, at least when his paintings speak.

overall it was very good, I'm glad Harry grew up a bit and got a bit more "snogging" (is that a real brit word?? for kissing??) in his life.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
R.A.B.

Regulus A. Black? If I am not mistaken that was Black's brother's name...lemme look it up..yup it is...

Thats about the only R.B. I could think off...

Maybe Sirius's bro stole that thing then died.

Plus read this.

Snape raised his wand and pointed it directly at Dumbledore.
"Avada Kedavra!"
A jet of green ligt shot from the end of Snape's wand and hit Dumbledore squarely in the chest.

Upon reading this again, I realize that Amorymeltzer's idea must be wrong. No one that old could survive the Avada Kedavra straight to that chest. Plus Harry was the only one to survive it. Dumbledore was also weakened by the fake horcrux.

The end!

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reikuro
R.A.B.

Regulus A. Black? If I am not mistaken that was Black's brother's name...lemme look it up..yup it is...

Stole the words right out of my mouth. Maybe that was one of the reasons Regulus was killed. If Regulus was killed before he was able to destroy the Horcrux then it would undoubtedly be hidden in Grimmuald Place. Didn't Hermione discover a pile of Black family heirlooms in Kreachers lair in the 5th book? Also, (I couldn't help but think this)What if Harry is a Horcrux? Afterall Dumbledore said that when Voldemort killed Harry he had transfered a part of himself into Harry, hence the Parselmouth. Also Harry being a Horcrux would be an explaination for Harry and Voldemorts mental connection.
P.S. I finished the book saturday, it took me approximately 14hrs.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voidmaster

R.A.B.

Stole the words right out of my mouth. Maybe that was one of the reasons Regulus was killed. If Regulus was killed before he was able to destroy the Horcrux then it would undoubtedly be hidden in Grimmuald Place. Didn't Hermione discover a pile of Black family heirlooms in Kreachers lair in the 5th book? Also, (I couldn't help but think this)What if Harry is a Horcrux? Afterall Dumbledore said that when Voldemort killed Harry he had transfered a part of himself into Harry, hence the Parselmouth. Also Harry being a Horcrux would be an explaination for Harry and Voldemorts mental connection.
P.S. I finished the book saturday, it took me approximately 14hrs.

Hmm...I think I must agree, I think Hermione did find a locket in Kreachers lair...I know she found something, but I think thats what it was.

and it would make sence that Harry is a Horcrux, but wouldnt that mean he has to die at the end of the series? That is how I would figure it to end...

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   

and it would make sence that Harry is a Horcrux, but wouldnt that mean he has to die at the end of the series?

Yeah. Too bad because I would've liked to see Harry marry Ginny.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Well, Amorymeltzer isn't necessarily wrong because one of my theories was that it wasn't Albus.

I don't think he made Harry a horcrux because he didn't kill him, although as Albus said probably tried. I don't even know if you can make a person a horcrux, but it helps my theories and seems quite possible.

It said Regulus defected and was soon killed. There's enough mystery around that to make it possible, I suppose.

I definitely think there's something up with Grimmauld Place that we've not been told yet.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
I don't think he made Harry a horcrux because he didn't kill him
if you had to destroy what you made a horcrux, that would defeat the purpose of a Horcrux.

I didn't even know you could make a person a Horcrux.

Well, if you can make a living thing a Horcrux then I figure that includes a person.

I definitely think there's something up with Grimmauld Place that we've not been told yet.

Agreed.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Mundungus was stealing stuff from Grimmald Place, I wonder if he took a Horacrux...

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Other questions must be answered! Like will Harry and Ginny stay together???
And are Harry, Ron and Hermione not going back next year!?! And will The Grey Lady reveal what the Ravenclaw horcrux is? Will Neville and Luna start seeing each other? Is Harry related to Godric Griffindor? Why didn't Harry save the Felix Felicis for the final battle with Voldemort? Do Harry and Voldemort keep in touch like penpals?
Like This:

SPOILER...at some bits.

Originally written by Harry Potter

Dear Tom,

I hope this letter finds you well. You remember my friend Ron? He's started going out with a girl called Lavender and he really wants to break up with her but doesn't have the heart. Well anyway, there has been some trouble around the castle recently, Katie almost died as did Ron if I hadn't saved him. Hermione seems very annoyed for some reason but I can't quite put my finger on it, yes I know what your thinking "the filthy mudblood, who cares?" but she's cool once you get to know her, we should all go for a drink somethime? Oh and terrible news! Aragog died! Hagrid was devestated and Proffessor Slughorn and I attended his funeral where Slughorn got drunk and I managed to aquire a memory leading to your eventual demise! Well Ive started to see Ginny Weasley. She was the girl who bacame possesed by that old diary of yours. Well I've Got to go. Will you be coming to Grimmauld Place for Dinner tonight?

With Love,

Harry

[edit on 19/7/05 by Atomix]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
1: if you read the book, harry finished with ginny
2: if you read the book, harry,hermine and ron said they are not going next year due to harry wanting to find the remaining horcrux's.
3: i have no idea. about the ravenclaw horcrux.
4: most likely, neville and luna get together.
5: i dont think he is related to the godric griffindor, because his mother was muggle.
6: because harry thought he was safe and the DA needed the felix more than he did, also he had dumbledore.
7: i dont think they keep in touch via letters.

lol thats is a really...........special letter, dont think he will ever send itthough but good try any way! lol

oni x x

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I have read the book Oni I just wanted conformation. Ginny seems like one of those people who will just follow him and keep asking him out until he finally cracks under the pressure! Now for another letter!

Originally written by Tom M. Riddle

Hello Harry!

Its been a while hasn't it? Great to hear from you. Happy to hear Ron finally got a date and you seem happy with Ginny. I myself am currently in a relationship! Her name is Paris! I met her in a bar in Dublin, she tells me she was on TV in some reality show and apperently she is a wealthy heiress (Ka-Ching!). Well I've been very busy with the whole "evil plan" thing and yes Im afraid it was me who arranged the incident with Katie and Ron although I assure you they were not the intended targates so can you tell them Im sorry? So Draco Malfoy has joined me as a death eater but keep that to yourself its a big secret (wink wink). The other day I found out one of my Horcruxes had been destroyed. A man called ************ took it and destroyed it. Shame really, I liked that locket. Well great to hear from you again but I have to go to Narcissa. She's hungry...AGAIN! I swear that snake eats too much potato salad. How are your parents by the way?

Until the final battle,

Tom

[edit on 19/7/05 by Atomix]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join