It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is True Patriotism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Is there a difference between a show of patriotism, such as saluting the flag, joining in the Pledge of Allegiance or putting one's hand over their heart and standing for the Star Spangled Banner AND the being truly patriotic?

If I, for example, don't wish to publicly display my patriotism and therefore remain seated while others go through the motion of patriotism at a sporting event, am I not a true patriot?

If Mary Jo next door stands with her hand over her heart and goes through the motion of showing patriotism, while wondering how she's going to get her hair done this afternoon, is she more patriotic than I?

Must I show a crowd full of strangers how I feel about my country to be ‘patriotic’?

I'm curious to see how people feel about this. I, in fact, don't show my patriotism to strangers in the manners mentioned above. I don't feel it's any of their business. I happen to think that half the people in any given group function wouldn't know what patriotism was if it bit them in the bum, anyway.

Your thoughts?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Let me put it this way..if you have someone who is carrying a one dollar bill in their pocket, and someone who is holding it in there hand, doesn't both of them have an equal amount of money? Just because one is showing it, doesn't make them have more or less than the other person.

All patriotic means is doing something that is inspired by love for your country.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I can tell you what patriotism is not.

Patriotism is not letting your top officials do what they want, and then claiming anyone who does not agree "unamerican."

This country was founded by people who didn't take crap from their leaders. They believed in a higher standard that governments should be held to. They believed honest governments were always governing only with consent from the people.

There's nothing wrong with loving your country, but there's a fine line between Patriotism and Nationalism. Patriots will condemn their government when it betrays the ideals of its people. Nationalists will look the other way, or embrace their government nonetheless, which is not only foolhardy but dangerous.

It was Jefferson that said "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I'm not 100% Nationalist...but I'm basically behind the Government (at least until I feel I shouldn't be anymore).

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
I can tell you what patriotism is not.

Patriotism is not letting your top officials do what they want, and then claiming anyone who does not agree "unamerican."

This country was founded by people who didn't take crap from their leaders. They believed in a higher standard that governments should be held to. They believed honest governments were always governing only with consent from the people.

There's nothing wrong with loving your country, but there's a fine line between Patriotism and Nationalism. Patriots will condemn their government when it betrays the ideals of its people. Nationalists will look the other way, or embrace their government nonetheless, which is not only foolhardy but dangerous.

It was Jefferson that said "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."

BRAVO!

[edit on 16-7-2005 by FallenFromTheTree]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Hey - Jesus said not to pray in public.

YOu know, not to make a show of it.

It is patriotic, by definition, to live life your own way. If you refuse to take part in the pledge of Allegience, you are only fulfilling America's greatest ideals. Freedom to chose. It's the same thing as God giving us freewill. The argument that you who who do not support rabid nationalism are unAmerican, is BS.

A lot of good people throw around a lot of lip service regarding our freedoms. It's easy to do when we have it made.

top topics

join