It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

whats wrong with scientists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 05:55 AM
link   
do scientist really believe that their is no intelligent life in an unending universe i mean come on some where their has to be aliens that can think like us

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Scientists have never said that I don't think. If I remember rightly, they found living bacteria in a rock on Mars.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
i know about that im talking about little green men and stuff they always seem to deny that stuff when mexico says if u take inferred scopes and stuff like that u can see lots of ufos

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   
sorry almost forgot this isnt shar its her son im 14

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Sorry, but todays scientists are about money. Money, money, money and money. If there's money to be made, if you can think of a way to scientifically (usually within medicine) improve something to in the end make money off of it it'll happen, aliens... is there money in it? No? Ok, leave it be then.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Its not that scientists disbelieve that there can be other life in our universe , it's just that they don't believe that they can either get here , or are coming here .

To be honest for any scientist who wishes to stay in work , it would be professional suicide to admit to either an interest in UFO's , or to admit to the possibility that they may be visiting us .

Unfortunately it is as Drexon said , it's all about MONEY .

The scientists in question would be laughed at by their peers (even though they may believe the same) and would find it very hard to get that next piece of funding , or that next cutting-edge job.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Shar (or her kid) says:

do scientist really believe that their is no intelligent life in an unending universe i mean come on some where their has to be aliens that can think like us

No, scientists do not believe that there is no intelligent life in the universe (which, by the way, might not be "unending").

Scientists believe in things they have a lot of good evidence for. If there's no evidence, that doesn't mean they disbelieve; it just means that they will withhold judgement until they have more data. That is the way science works.

If you are interested about scientists' beliefs in intelligent life, you might want to google "Drake Equation", or read some of the books by one of the most famous scientists of the 20th century, Dr. Carl Sagan.

I would say that the vast majority of scientists believe that there is life in the universe, maybe even in our solar system, although we don't have any hard-and-fast evidence for that.

As far as "intelligent life", given the very high number of stars with probably planets in the "Goldilocks" zone, most scientists believe that there's "intelligent" life somewhere out there as well.

I don't think many scientists believe that there are Spaceship Guys among us now, though; or even that there has ever been Spaceship Guys visiting us in the past, based on our understanding of physics today and using some basic math to estimate probablilities.

Most scientists believe that most if not all of the "UFO" or crop circles are not evidence for Spacehsip Guys but are explicable by other things, including hysteria and hoaxes.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
Scientists have never said that I don't think. If I remember rightly, they found living bacteria in a rock on Mars.

You don't remember rightly, you make-up rightly. No such thing.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty

You don't remember rightly, you make-up rightly. No such thing.

Well my English isn't the best, I know. What should've I said instead? "
"If I remember correctly" ?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
He's not entirely wrong Frosty, or making it up, he just thought that they found living bacteria inside the meterorite, when what they actually found were the products of bacteria that used to exist on Mars. Several years ago, a 4 billion year old meteorite that was collected in Antarctica was found to contain magnetic crystals in chain-form, which had to have biological origins because they would otherwise clump up due to gravitational forces. I think that it was believed that the chains actually were the bacteria until that was disproven shortly after the statement was made.

"The chains we discovered (in the martian meteorite ALH84001) are of biological origin," asserted Dr. Imre Friedmann, an NRC senior research fellow at NASA's Ames Research Center and leader of the research team. "Such a chain of magnets outside an organism would immediately collapse into a clump due to magnetic forces."

Both the chain-like arrangement of the martian crystals and the traits of the crystals themselves bear a striking resemblance to similar crystals produced by bacteria on Earth.

The bacteria, which are mostly from the Magnetospirillum genus, grow the "magnetite" crystals (Fe3O4) atom by atom in small internal pouches, then line up several of these crystals to collectively act as a bar magnet. Following this internal "compass needle" allows the bacteria to search the body of water that it lives in for suitable oxygen concentrations in a more efficient, straight-line path.

science.nasa.gov...

[edit on 16-7-2005 by zhangmaster]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Scientists are about the money...
, that's the funniest thing I've ever read.

You've never been through undergraduate studies in any science, have you? Or through grad school? It's the most grueling experience, and extremely hard work. Then, if you look to become a professor, you're most likely underpaid, and it'll take you about 4 postdoc positions to even become an assistant professor.

Industry pays better...but industry also treats you like crap.

No, I think if a physicist wanted to make money, he/she would go into finances...where the real money is. (I only use physicist as an example because I am one).

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar

"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike—and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein

Your question can best be answered by reading some of what scientists have written about the subject.

I posted a reply (Click here) to an ATS member's level of skepticism in a thread he titled 'Real UFO/Aliens?', on 3-7-2005. As part of my reply, I posted a link to a website of called 'ufoskeptic' by a scientist by the name of Bernard Haisch, Ph. D. (Click here for his Bio)

Here's a starting point:

An information site on the UFO phenomenon by and for professional scientists By Bernard Haisch

Science, Proof And The "UFO" By Val Germann

Brane Worlds, the Subanthropic Principle and the Undetectability Conjecture By Beatriz Gato-Rivera

Scientific Testimony - 5 Parts

Interview with Dr Werner Von Braun, rocket physicist from Germany who lead American space development after WWII

[edit on 17-7-2005 by evilution]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
They mention UFOs/EBEs as something more than rumour, they lose their funding; or if their salary is Gov subsidised, they lose their job.

Dallas

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
What we need is a _wealthy_ private funder that is interested in creating a UFO organisation with the gvmnt. The government would get free money to investigate something that has had very low priority on the budget and since it would be atleast partially governly controlled the results produced would come from a credible source and most likely be considered the truth.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THE SCIENTISTS. THEY ARE NOW PRACTICING AND PLAYING WITH THE NEW INVENTION THATS OUT. THE CIP ENGINE. ROBERT COOK. HIS INVENTION THATS REVOLUTIONIZING THE WORLD. CHECK IT OUT, WWW.FORCEBORNE.COM UNDER I THINK TECHNOLOGIES. ALSO OTHER COMPANIES ARE GETTING IN ON THE ACTION LIKE. WWW EVOLVED TECHNOLOGY.COM SO IS THIS SO CALLED ALIEN CALLER WHO CALLS ALIENS FROM THE SKY, A CROCK. I THINK HE PUSHES A BUTTON AND ANOTHER GUY FLYS THIS SILVER THING IN THE SKY. JOKER. LETS CHECK HIM FOR A BUG OR WIRE OR MAYBE HAND SIGNALS.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I hate referring to myself as a scientist, but I suppose by definition I am. I study and research surface physics and electrostatics...if you're interested in any projects I work on just private message me and I'll explain through there...back on topic...

I think most people believe other life exists, however, how can we research UFOs? It's not science...if you want another example of what isn't science, black holes. If you can't study the topic using the scientific method, it isn't science. That's why people usually aren't throwing their money into the subject. It's not productive or useful...

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
evilution quotes:

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, it is evidence that has been denied to the (people)"Sgt Clifford Stone, The Disclosure Project

Sgt Clifford Stone, The Disclosure Project, is a liar and a scoundrel.

Absence of evidence may not be evidence of abxence, but it is not "denied evidence", either. Absence of evidence is ... absence of evidence. Nothing more and nothing less.

It's stupid and false comments by this "Clifford Stone" bozo that destroys the Disclosure Project's credibility. And that's too bad, because some of the Disclosure Project's information is worth a second look.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by T_Jesus

I think most people believe other life exists, however, how can we research UFOs? It's not science...if you want another example of what isn't science, black holes. If you can't study the topic using the scientific method, it isn't science. That's why people usually aren't throwing their money into the subject. It's not productive or useful...

T_Jesus,

Can you explain in more detail why you think that the scientific method can't be appied to blackholes?

If your statement is true then how is it that Blackholes are a major topic in mainstream science ?

UFO studies are dismissed off hand for the reason you mentioned , the scientific method can not apply to things that can not be controlled.

I have a thread about Science and UFOs that may be of interest to some that haven't read it .

The Scientific Method begins by making observations. Can mainstream
science turn a blind eye?!

[edit on 17-7-2005 by lost_shaman]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I just wanted to recommend a book to everyone, if you are looking for a more "scientific" view of the UFO phenomenon. It is called "The UFO Enigma" by Peter A Sturrock. It deals with cases of UFO encounters and the physical evidence from them. The author presents the information clearly, without attempting to lead the reader to a conclusion. Read it; see what you think. It's only a small fraction of what is out there for information, and it's not that new of a book, but it deals only with concrete physical evidence, the kind that everyone shouts doesn't exist.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   

actually it was Fossilized Bacteria

and it wasnt a rock on mars; it was a meteorite that fell in antartica millions of years ago or something liek that

they didnt think it would be contaminated but it could have been
you never know

top topics

<<   2 >>

join