It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Nation With Its Own Planet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

Originally posted by Faceless
We need to go forth as one race, not a bunch of nations.

No we don't, not with the assumptions above, we just need to have a few things set. Keep records, don't kill everyone, things like that.

What'll happen is some people will form alliances, some will form enemies. Then you'll all realize you have an entire planet at your disposal and there won't really be a need for war. Some planet will get shafted, though, and they'll go to war and get anihilated. On every other planet, people will slowly spread out like we did here on Earth.

I call dibs on Earth.

see see!, i said people who fight over earth sombody must want this homeland

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by klain
see see!, i said people who fight over earth sombody must want this homeland

People only tend to fight when there is no room left to expand within their technological capacities at the time. When we first start to go foward we will have a very very long time to worry about that one. Our entire solar system has enough resources to last our entire species tens of thousands of years with current growth rates. And considering that our current population growth is expected to start plummeting after 2050 things will prove rather lonely out there if we never get FTL travel and communications. We would actually have to go out and actively look for a fight just for the sake of fighting, only hoodlums do that and I don't really see the hoodlum states of tommarow getting a significant foothold on the next fontier.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxblackoctoberxx
Ok, go a few years into the future. Say mankind has gotten space travel and making planets hospitible (terraforming, bases or whatever) down and it is an easily achievable goal now. Remember this is all hypothetical. So, the major world powers have this technology, and say we got a way to either make or we don't need resources.
Alright, countries start deciding it would be best to start going our own ways kind of. Nations move to their own planets in different parts of the solar system, away from each other. The U.S. has its own planet, China has their's, and Russia off in the distance. The smaller and 3rd world countries stay on the Earth I suppose.

Here's where all of you and your opinions and ideas come in, I'll use the U.S. planet as our example.

What do you think would end up happening? Would the nations eventually branch off like America did from Britain? Do you think we would try and participate in intergalactic trade? What about religious issue's, trying to govern such a widespread area, etc...?

My thoughts are, the U.S. would start off fine, maybe even more united. We would stay close together at first. After a while people would start to spread out and go farther and farther away. This might lead to seperate 'colonies' with different points of views, which could in the end eventually turn into what we have now all over again, different countries with different views, wars. Maybe these things are inevitable.

(Please don't point of the small dumb flaws seeing as how this is highly hypothetical)

[edit on 7/16/2005 by xxblackoctoberxx]

i bet there will be a war for it...100%

i mean we fight for lands on earth, y wouldnt we fight for a planet? i mean am i rite? lol

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
...things will prove rather lonely out there if we never get FTL travel and communications.

If?

To quote Spielberg, "Carrying weapons 100,000 light-years is quite a schlepp."

War just isn't worth it, even moreso once you get to far away land.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Right now, as far as physics can tell, no item made of matter can go faster than light. The only way we can go faster than light, maybe, would be if someone invents a device or machine that can change a person into pure energy and "beam" them through space, and then at their location be turned back into a human again (at least, as far as I know about physics right now).

Or, someone needs to invent a wormhole machine that can open wormholes into the proper locations so you could flit from one area of space to another.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
if all the powerful nations went to mars and that, and we left all the 3rd world countries and poor people behind to live on other planets. it would be wierd to go back to earth in say 200 years and see what had happened after the rich nations had moved. if earth because uninhabitable in a few thousand years, it wouldn't be too unlikely to have some sort of mass evacuation for the rich countries to live on mars and the moon, or somewhere else by then...

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
EngineMan2145, you forgot about bending space to go faster then c. Personally I don't take anything for granted with current physics knowledge because I know in a 100 years time it will look nothing like what we have right now.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Heh, that thought is really intriguing. Each planet would be name from past Earth nations and then you would get original nations on that planet. Imagine, Planet America having several continents and nations within them. Planet China, Planet Spain, Planet Russia, etc... It would be amazing, the trading, the stories, the saga!

It would be like a grand planetary network, a chain of planets, and an alliance of somekind would have to be made like a United Nations of the stars...with all the planets in them so that if anything comes along, any threat, humanity defends itself as one force and one direct blow.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I think, partially, it would depend on who went into space and why. In fact, I would think we would likely see our problems writ large in the stars and intra-(as opposed to inter-) planetary war would be more likely. On Planet USA for exampler a Bunch of home schooling fundamentalists on the Northern Landmass Fallwellia vs. The Rainbow Coalition/Green/ Country Berkelytopia on the Southern landmass. It would get real ugly real fast -- as the kind of folks out setting up colonies aren’t for the most part, going to be political moderates happy with the way things are at home.

If they are business colonies and/or if Home can exert political control than maybe this won’t happen. But given enough time home rule is inevitable ….

top topics

<< 1   >>

join