It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Nation With Its Own Planet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Ok, go a few years into the future. Say mankind has gotten space travel and making planets hospitible (terraforming, bases or whatever) down and it is an easily achievable goal now. Remember this is all hypothetical. So, the major world powers have this technology, and say we got a way to either make or we don't need resources.
Alright, countries start deciding it would be best to start going our own ways kind of. Nations move to their own planets in different parts of the solar system, away from each other. The U.S. has its own planet, China has their's, and Russia off in the distance. The smaller and 3rd world countries stay on the Earth I suppose.

Here's where all of you and your opinions and ideas come in, I'll use the U.S. planet as our example.

What do you think would end up happening? Would the nations eventually branch off like America did from Britain? Do you think we would try and participate in intergalactic trade? What about religious issue's, trying to govern such a widespread area, etc...?

My thoughts are, the U.S. would start off fine, maybe even more united. We would stay close together at first. After a while people would start to spread out and go farther and farther away. This might lead to seperate 'colonies' with different points of views, which could in the end eventually turn into what we have now all over again, different countries with different views, wars. Maybe these things are inevitable.

(Please don't point of the small dumb flaws seeing as how this is highly hypothetical)

[edit on 7/16/2005 by xxblackoctoberxx]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
would'nt there be a big fight for who "owns" the right for this planet?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
in order for it to work each planet could have resourse that another one would'nt have but each resourse has a vast qaunity so trading could exist sucessfully as well and yes if that happend i would imagine a galactic federation most probable keeping our nationalitys and culture but at the same time being galatic and trading with other planets it would be a very ecomonically sound plan

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
We need to go forth as one race, not a bunch of nations.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faceless

I agree, otherwise we will be in the same place we are now but worse. At present we don't use nukes in war because of global destruction (Example the US nukes Canada but nuclear fall out will still kill people in US). If each country had there own planet then it would be a lot more tempting to nuke them with no environmental consequences to your own planets environment as long as you can successfully defend against your enemies counter attacks.

by the way I am in no way saying I dislike Canada, I just wanted to use an example that is the least likely to stir up hatred toward what I am saying. Had I used Russia or Iraq I would be bombarded by hate responses.

So long live Canada

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by bpletcj

I agree, otherwise we will be in the same place we are now but worse. At present we don't use nukes in war because of global destruction (Example the US nukes Canada but nuclear fall out will still kill people in US). If each country had there own planet then it would be a lot more tempting to nuke them with no environmental consequences to your own planets environment as long as you can successfully defend against your enemies counter attacks.

by the way I am in no way saying I dislike Canada, I just wanted to use an example that is the least likely to stir up hatred toward what I am saying. Had I used Russia or Iraq I would be bombarded by hate responses.

So long live Canada

agressive nature is part of what it is to be human others kill others all the time going forward as one race would not make the slightest difference

[edit on 16-7-2005 by klain]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Yes killing goes on all the time but I am talking about massive annihilation through WMD's.

On earth we hold back because we know that we will not only kill our enemies but ourselves as well.

If our enemies were on another planetary body our destructive nature will be elevated to a whole new level, death on a grander scale.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Yes killing goes on all the time but I am talking about massive annihilation through WMD's.

On earth we hold back because we know that we will not only kill our enemies but ourselves as well.

If our enemies were on another planetary body our destructive nature will be elevated to a whole new level, death on a grander scale.
i see your point but you miss mine
if there is a planet in this trade federation to coin star wars that is destroyed every other planet that relies on it would fall into chaos it would be a symbotic relationship and the well being of these networked planets would be put to test

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Who really wants pluto? and without any type of anti-grav tech, who would want any of the gas giants?

What would really happen is that each planet/moon would probly end up forming its own nation/state independant of earth and its host nation(s). A revolt if you will. In short, balkenisation would occur. As each planet or moon became self-sufficiant.

Depending on the resources available for trade.. iron, hydrogen, oxygen, Hi-tech equipment... such planets could gain power through trade and then unify nearby partners.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
Who really wants pluto? and without any type of anti-grav tech, who would want any of the gas giants?

What would really happen is that each planet/moon would probly end up forming its own nation/state independant of earth and its host nation(s). A revolt if you will. In short, balkenisation would occur. As each planet or moon became self-sufficiant.

Depending on the resources available for trade.. iron, hydrogen, oxygen, Hi-tech equipment... such planets could gain power through trade and then unify nearby partners.

is'nt that what i said?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by klain

i see your point but you miss mine
if there is a planet in this trade federation to coin star wars that is destroyed every other planet that relies on it would fall into chaos it would be a symbotic relationship and the well being of these networked planets would be put to test

Ok now I see what you mean sorry for the misunderstanding. Point well noted. But I still thinke if we colonize planets it should be integrated not isolated.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Nonono I mean. That is the point of splitting up. All of this war and people not getting along. I didn't mean to be just within our solar system even though I think I said that haha. I mean just out in space. So enemies can just go far apart and allies, if they want, can stay close.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
it is interesting that a majority of wars are over border disputes, and strategic land. So by putting enemies farther away, you only delay disputes and create a bigger dispute in the process.

Ideally when some breakthough allows colonization of the solar system, there is going ot be an expansion as everyone trys to get a piece of the pies that are now withen reach. These colonizes will be in control of the mother nation just like the British empie. Everyhting will be fine until the colonies feel they are being expoloited and repressed, and find they have a chance of independance. Some colonies of differant countries will band together for stregth. But in the end it will probly be more fractured then it was on earth

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
it is interesting that a majority of wars are over border disputes, and strategic land. So by putting enemies farther away, you only delay disputes and create a bigger dispute in the process.

Ideally when some breakthough allows colonization of the solar system, there is going ot be an expansion as everyone trys to get a piece of the pies that are now withen reach. These colonizes will be in control of the mother nation just like the British empie. Everyhting will be fine until the colonies feel they are being expoloited and repressed, and find they have a chance of independance. Some colonies of differant countries will band together for stregth. But in the end it will probly be more fractured then it was on earth

i love topics like this
its a bit like age of empires but on a planetry scale

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
we would end up like starwars. that would be cool. so what country would be the dark force

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I think maybe this has already been done, in reverse. There are three habitable class stars that may or may not have habitable planets 4 1/2 light years away in Centaurus. By coincidence, we have three basic genetic stocks on Earth. I think maybe our relatives 'out there' may have marooned us all here to see if the three nations could co-exist.

They must be in a foul mood right now if this is true.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I postulated a similiar idea in my post, my answer was to make the planet an independent Mars. My idea was not a nation with its own planet but rather a planet as its own nation.

[edit on 17-7-2005 by Lord Vilmur]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
I think maybe this has already been done, in reverse. There are three habitable class stars that may or may not have habitable planets 4 1/2 light years away in Centaurus.

Centauri is a trinary system, that is a solar system with 3 stars. Unlikely that an earth like planet could be found there with a stable climate, or orbit sutible for human life

after barnads star (An M Class star) there is Epsilon Erinidi which is only slightly dimemr then our sun which is the best closets chance of finding and earth like planet

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
the US planet would blow itself up?

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   

No we don't, not with the assumptions above, we just need to have a few things set. Keep records, don't kill everyone, things like that.

What'll happen is some people will form alliances, some will form enemies. Then you'll all realize you have an entire planet at your disposal and there won't really be a need for war. Some planet will get shafted, though, and they'll go to war and get anihilated. On every other planet, people will slowly spread out like we did here on Earth.

I call dibs on Earth.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join