It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Possible Terrorists Arrested in Los Angeles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Officials in Los Angeles are looking into the possibility that two men arrested in connection to gas station robberies could be involved in planning terrorist attacks. Police found jihadist materials, bullet-proof vests, and a list of addresses of locations that don't seem to be targets for common robbery such as synagogues, the Israeli Consulate, and National Guard recruiting facilities. One man converted to Islam while in prison for another crime, while his accomplice was a recent convert.

www.latimes.com
Counterterrorism officials are investigating the possibility that two men recently arrested in a string of South Bay gas station robberies may have been part of a local group of extremists with ties to prison or street gangs, local and federal law enforcement authorities said Thursday.

Although there is no evidence of a specific terrorist plot, law enforcement officials say materials recovered at the South Los Angeles apartment of one robbery suspect, Levar Haney Washington, 25, suggest that an attack might have been planned at any of nearly two dozen addresses, including National Guard recruiting facilities, two synagogues and a building believed to be the Israeli Consulate in Los Angeles.

During an extensive search of Washington's apartment last week, authorities said they found no explosives or bomb-making materials, but did recover some bulletproof vests and undisclosed "jihadist" materials not readily available via the Internet or other public sources, as well as the list of addresses that appeared to be unlikely targets for a simple robbery.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It looks like one of these men was a common criminal who were converted to Islam in prison and adopted a jihadist ideology. This could become a major problem in the coming years, as Islam is spreading like wildfire throughout U.S. prisons. I'm glad these guys were caught, but how many are out there just working on jihad without committing new crimes that would get them arrested before they attack?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Is it just me or is there something funny about this incident? Radical islam spreading in prison populations made up of primarilly drug offenders, which in most islamic states the penalty for is death, this does not make sense to me. I don't doubt that some of the more career criminals will latch onto this and possibly even carry out small attacks using it as justification for their lashing out at society. But this is a slippery slope we are treading, how long before a koran slipped into a persons personal effects is as effective as a planted bag of dope to justify "making an arrest"?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Not too much longer, I hope.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by csulli456

What the hell do you mean by that? Is this comment in response to the question "how long until a Koran slipped into your bag is as much a reason for arrest as dope?"

If so - what are you getting at? I'm curious to see your answer because I've tried to come up with several interpretations of your intent and none of them have been positive.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Pretty hard to find "something positive" in this whole thread. Especially the part where it sounds like you want to defend or appease these 'people'.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Pretty hard to find "something positive" in this whole thread. Especially the part where it sounds like you want to defend or appease these 'people'.

So you're saying it'd be a good idea to plant Korans on criminals so they can get more people to hate Muslims? You're a complete idiot, not to mention the one that said it.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

What 'people'? What people am I trying to defend or appease? The person who could have a Koran slipped in their luggage so that when they're going through airport security they get arrested for having "contraband"???

Or the people who own a Koran, don't want to hurt anybody, and get arrested for having contraband?

If those are the 'people' you're referring to - yeah! I'm all over defending them. And proud of it.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
How is it that these "terrorists" always have literature on them?

Just think, if it werent for that, they could be free.

What morons OR

We planted the lit on them.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I dont know any of the why or for or how as to Islam spreading throught the prisen system. However I do know that it has been hapening in France as well as the US. If any one knows it might be nice to hear any more info about it.
It would also be nice to think that the authorities have also looked into this to stop some of the terrorists.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
If the Jihadist have made a connection with say the Nation of Islam, then it does not bode well. While I doubt that this is the case, it is something that bears watching.

Im not sure where to go with the Quran thing in this thread. But I do have something to say to this comment:

:shk: My father is one of these "people" you are refering too. He has been in this country since 1956, a citizen since 1966, and worked for the Navy doing some things that he still does not and cannot talk about. Are you refering to him? :shk:

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I'm not sure exactly what it is about this thread that bothers me. The fact that inmates are converting to the Muslim faith or the fact that some have apparently accepted the need for Jihad. I think I need to know much more about conversion rates as well as the percentage of Muslims who support Jihad. Until I find out more this article will remain just a troubling itch in my mind.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Hey is it me or is there a recurring feeling of sarcasm, when referring to terrorists, jhiadists, or Islamics as 'people'. Is that to say they're not people or even human beings? I hope someone would answer that.

It's rather interesting to see how quickly people are willing to swallow the news and savor every word of the media, and our government as if it were a holey word (pun intended
) It's also fascinating that the government or media could easily blow up a gas station robbery in LA to make it look like a purported terrorist attack. I mean come on, it's a gas station robbery in LA of all places; it's bound to happen, lol* There will always be the bunch who believe that carrying Islamic materials, validates a person's terrorists ties, just as there are people who know that Iraq still has WMD's, as there are many who are certain that miscegenation is evil.

Just because there are Islamic missionaries in prison, doesn’t mean they're getting ready for a strike that will capture the free world. The fact that the most popular religions often appeal to society's suffering is, only a matter of history. (If you don’t think that prisoners suffer, then by all means, spend some time in a prison, and if that doesn’t convince you then I challenge you to a dual of logic). In addition, the fact that a prisoner or criminal is a convert doesn't mean (s)he is a fanatic for religion. As I mentioned earlier, it's interesting to see how quickly people are willing to swallow the fluid words of the media.

Swallow this from the same story:
"I am well aware there is a federal investigation going on," said Winston McKesson, Patterson's lawyer. "And I really believe that once this investigation is complete, it will be crystal clear … that my client was not involved in any terrorist plot.

"He is a good young man, an honor student who has never been associated with any gangs. His parents are both upstanding members of the community and this is all a shock to them."

Washington's attorney, Deputy Alternate Public Defender Jerome Haig, also said he had not received any indication that his client will be charged with crimes other than the robberies.

"All I have right now are police reports involving robberies," he said. "And there was absolutely nothing in the police reports that was even remotely related to the things that are now being discussed" in the media.

Just a commentary,
SilentTunundor

source: www.latimes.com...

*Just an arrogant joke, my point is, gas station robberies are probably more common than an urban police shoot out in America.

[edit on 17-7-2005 by SilentTunundor]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
These people were found with jihadist materials that were not available easily by the public or on the Internet, I don't think the Koran qualifies as that.

These people were certainly at least exposed to a jihadist group.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Officials in Los Angeles are looking into the possibility that two men arrested in connection to gas station robberies could be involved in planning terrorist attacks.

www.latimes.com

Although there is no evidence of a specific terrorist plot, law enforcement officials say materials recovered at the South Los Angeles apartment of one robbery suspect, Levar Haney Washington, 25, suggest that an attack might have been planned at any of nearly two dozen addresses, including National Guard recruiting facilities, two synagogues and a building believed to be the Israeli Consulate in Los Angeles.

During an extensive search of Washington's apartment last week, authorities said they found no explosives or bomb-making materials, but did recover some bulletproof vests and undisclosed "jihadist" materials not readily available via the Internet or other public sources, as well as the list of addresses that appeared to be unlikely targets for a simple robbery.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I happen to know that at one facility they they listed the Security Company NASTEC in charge has a number of fully automatic weapons and retains a number of Mossard agents in their 'employ'. These guys have heavy weapons in place to repell any terrorist attack. Check out the web site (above). The owners are full-on Isreali agents, trained to kill with a glance.

seriously - these guys are rent-a-cop wannabes who hide behind the Israeli flag so they can have firepower, they would run as fast as they could in any situation and knowingly violate U.S. State and Federal Laws.

[edit on 24-7-2005 by Chuck Stevenson]

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Originally posted by csulli456

What the hell do you mean by that? Is this comment in response to the question "how long until a Koran slipped into your bag is as much a reason for arrest as dope?"

If so - what are you getting at? I'm curious to see your answer because I've tried to come up with several interpretations of your intent and none of them have been positive.

Interesting to see ATS 'veterans' get worked up by a 1-line troll.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Hello board.. my first post.. i was searching google for this incident, and found this site...

as for these guys.. im one of the guys that turned them in.. as they tried to recruit me...

if anyone has questions.. feel free to ask...

new topics

top topics

join