It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Tennessee Teen Jailed for Burning U.S. Flag

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The problem here is nationalism. It's not about the flag, it's about you people believing in your nations. I've seen the pictures of Earth from space, they are not real.

Einstein said it best:

"Nationalism is an infantile sickness. It is the measles of the human race.".. Einstein, The World As I See It, 1934

and of course:
"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice."

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasilis Azoth
The problem here is nationalism. It's not about the flag, it's about you people believing in your nations. I've seen the pictures of Earth from space, they are not real.

So, are you a space alien or some sort of international hobo?

"You people." What'dya mean "you people"?

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
There is something I have wondered since these flag burning debates have popped up more often here on ATS and since we have many nationalities represented. Now I really don't care one way or another on the issue, but my question is as follows.

Does flag burning take place in other western countries where people are upset over something the government is doing or the current state of affairs? And if they are burning flags in the UK or Germany or France or Australia, do the people just laugh, shake their heads and say "those silly flag burners!" Or do they get angry at the sight of it?

My point is, are Americans the only ones to get angry over the sight of that five dollar made in China flag burning away? Do other westerners just find it silly and laugh it off? How does the rest of the word react to their flag getting torched? Is making a big stink over it just an American thing?

I hope thise makes sense. It is very early here but I wanted to ask this.

[edit on 17-7-2005 by Veltro]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Veltro
...How does the rest of the word react to their flag getting torched? Is making a big stink over it just an American thing?...

Well, if soccer/football is any indication...

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I am curious though about 2 things:

If he bought an american flag, and burned it in their back yard would you still feel the same way?

AND

If the flag was a symbol of any other country, would you Patriots be so pissed? say it was a flag of the symbol of some other country or religious god not christian, would you Patriots TRUELY care like you do now??

I am personally tired of people yelling and screaming that it is defaming a country and bla bla bla, it is a piece of cloth for goodness sake i mean i could understand if it was someone else's flag that the kid burned, and it proably was, i personally dont care, but 9 days in jail for arson of a flag? I mean for goodness sake isnt that stretching the law alittle bit, expically since he is a minor. It is that kid's Opinion regardless, you say you dont like people that defame America, do u think u should go to jail for that? No, so why be so angry? YES i COMPLETELY understand many people have died for this country and that we should respect it, even if we dont agree with it majority of the time. This is the home land of those born in america, etc... But still you guys, I mean stop acting like a bunch of 5 year olds not getting your way. You seem like you want to Imprisson someone Just for THINKING bad about America, the government, or its Political Puppet rulers.

The Flag is NOT our Identity and I know im just going on some blind tangent Rampage but Seriously, you ALL know that America is not what it once was. and most likly will never be the same way again.

I just wanna say I completely agree with :
WyrdeOne
websurfer
BluDobermann
FredT

and several others

Just as a political Forethought:

I find it sad that so many people had faith in the Bush Administration, yet it appears dedicated repulicans are turned down time and time again. The Democrats are pointing the fingers at the Republicans yelling "I TOLD YOU SO!!" and the Librals are looking at both sides of the already politically divided America and shaking their heads wondering if this will be the start of yet another world war.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Good questions. I'm probably one of the others you agree with BTW.

Originally posted by Forsaken Druid
I am curious though about 2 things:

If he bought an american flag, and burned it in their back yard would you still feel the same way?

Yes. I don't like it, but I've got bigger things to concern myself with. It exhibits one of our few remaining freedoms in theory anyway.

If the flag was a symbol of any other country, would you Patriots be so pissed? say it was a flag of the symbol of some other country or religious god not christian, would you Patriots TRUELY care like you do now??

No, I have never lived in another country, so it would be different. I still would not like to see a British, Spanish, Canadian, Mexican, etc. etc. burned. But here in the U.S. we see propaganda from various countries burning our flag. That seems to be the only BURNING we are allowed to see. I'm American, I don't riot when such-and-such wins the soccer game either. Point being, others can worry about their own flags and I'll concern myself with mine. Fair enough?

I find it sad that so many people had faith in the Bush Administration, yet it appears dedicated repulicans are turned down time and time again. The Democrats are pointing the fingers at the Republicans yelling "I TOLD YOU SO!!" and the Librals are looking at both sides of the already politically divided America and shaking their heads wondering if this will be the start of yet another world war.

I know what you're saying, but do you mean to imply that our lives would be significantly different right now if Kerry had been elected or had he not conceded? I mean, both parties are controlled by the almighty dollar and we're in perpetual intercouse with China.

And do you mean that the "Liberals" have anything figured out? Seriously, because they buy hemp products and attend gay parades in Frisco and control university newspeak? God forbid they vote for Hillary.

They're shaking their heads along with a lot of us, but what is the answer? The answer is finding the things that we all agree need to be changed first. Then we will have a group of people that can get things done.

Change HAS to come from the bottom up as well. Change won't come from a president at this point.

Your point about "never being the same again" sounded disparaging. The worst anyone can do is give up. When things look bad, they can get worse, BUT they can also get better.

[edit on 18-7-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join