It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Tennessee Teen Jailed for Burning U.S. Flag

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
csulli says:

"I`m sorry "

Okay.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by csulli456
I think I have a fair compromise to this situation. For most Americans, like 80% if not more the flag is more then just a cloth it is a symbol. To most we rather not see it burned. To some of us it is very disheartening and disrespectful to see this. Some really dont care either way. For those who think (wyrdeone) that freedom, liberty and justice are words that have just lost their meaning, then you are really to comfortable in this democracy and if it weren`t for those three words with a lot of meaning you wouldn`t even be here debating this right now. Bottom line is millions of men and women have died and spilled their blood for the meanings of these three words. Free speech is one thing but when something you do offends so many others it should not be allowed. Thats what a democracy is all about. What I propose is that if you are so belligerent and arrogant that you feel the need to burn an American Flag, do so in your own home, perhaps the fireplace and no one will see or complain about it. But once you do it in public view it should be a crime against humanity, because you are offending so many people who`s respect runs deep for those who have died and lost loved ones fighting for these three words.

Well said, csulli456 !

What youve said is very true! Flag burning is considered treason in many countries through out the world and this sort of thing isnt tolerated, I dont see why it should be tolerated in the USA. Is it because Americans are less patriotic or because they have too much freedom?
I am sure that the former isnt true but not too sure about the latter.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
off the street, are you off your rocker?
that was funny though.

[edit on 16-7-2005 by csulli456]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
IAF101 says:

Also supposedly the state of Tennessee lies in the North American continent and apparently isnt part of Canada, Mexico or anyother known state except the "United States Of America" but thats "your" country isnt it?

IAF101, I erred in my assumption. I mistakenly figured that, given your complete lack of undestanding the role of freedom and the Constitution in the United States, you must have been from some other country. Sorry.

My bad.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
i find it hard to imagine that there can be so much made of burning the flag.. when you disagree with the government (if that was the intent) what better way is there to express it.. how many were burnt during the vietnam war?
by stifling the right of individuals to express their feelings in what ever way they choose to only will indicate how intimidating the state can be to those who disagree with the status quo.. this is a dangerous thing..
intimidation can silence objection, do you really want that..
when you consider 911 and all of the "conspiracy theorists" that are being chastised for their beliefs and being referred to as unamerican for doing so it only strengthens the governments hold on its citizens. this is a dangerous thing. when you cease to have a voice they will tell you what your voice is..
how many people disagreed with what was happening in vietnam and were shot in the process of making their point (kent state) or accused of being unpatriotic.. and who was right in the long run.?. people will do anything when too patriotic, and that can be a dangerous thing.. very dangerous indeed. what happened in germany before and during the last war has being hard to comprehend that they could have been so mislead for the good of the fatherland..
when GWB said " either you are with us or you are with the terrorists" left no room for dispute. unfortunately a lot of americans bought into that hook, line and sinker..

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
One more thing I forgot to add in before. If being offensive to most isn`t good enough to get it banned then why are we not allowed to walk down the street repeating ugly profanity. I know it isn`t an enforced law except mabe around playgrounds but nonetheless if its free speech why can`t we do it, burning the flag is just another way of saying "$#@% the police, $#@% the US, @#$% the military, I hate what my @#$%&*@ country stands for. Now if you simply stated these words repeatedly I`m sure the police would be called and if you did not stop they would arrest you. So whats the difference really?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I dont give a sh*t personally if you are disatisfied with the government and want to let it be known. But they are not the ones being most offended by it, it is the citizens who wish not to see this behavior. If you are disatisfied right a column, or a letter or get a petition signed. If you want to voice your opinion in the street then stand on the corner and tell everyone that passes that you do not like this country. Burning a flag is like the ultimate drama for thse drama queens. It offends good people, so just don`t do it, there are so many other ways to get your opinion across.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
IAF101, I erred in my assumption.
Sorry.

My bad.

Okay, you are forgiven!

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by csulli456
One more thing I forgot to add in before. If being offensive to most isn`t good enough to get it banned then why are we not allowed to walk down the street repeating ugly profanity. I know it isn`t an enforced law except mabe around playgrounds but nonetheless if its free speech why can`t we do it, burning the flag is just another way of saying "$#@% the police, $#@% the US, @#$% the military, I hate what my @#$%&*@ country stands for. Now if you simply stated these words repeatedly I`m sure the police would be called and if you did not stop they would arrest you. So whats the difference really?

The difference is profanity is offensive on t shirts but burning a piece of cloth isnt.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
AND using profanity on ATSNN is seriously frowned on.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I can't believe we're having this discussion.

I've got one guy on my left telling me that traitors who question their government should hang from a lamp post.

I've got another guy on my right telling me that you can't offend people in this country anymore.

The sensible people have largely quieted down on this thread, likely they're still picking their mouths off the floor after reading through the juvenile screechings of someone likely too young to have bled for anything, let alone freedom, which hasn't been real since our country was signed over to the federal reserve.

What makes this situation so much more frustrating is the fact that no amount of explanation will slap these people awake.

They're permanently flawed.

In the country they profess to want to live in, the right to be an idiot is no inalienable, like it is now. These people are lucky they live in one of the more tolerant places on earth, most countries would have banished them long ago for being patently uncivil.

Y'all anti flag-burners should be thrilled to live in a country where speech of that sort is tolerated. Flag burning is tame compared to the treasonous filth you're issuing forth. Talking about hanging people for disagreeing with the government! Create your own damn country if you want to live like that! Call it Angrystan or something.

This is exactly what I'm talking about, the majority of Americans have NO IDEA what their country stands for. They think they're the only ones with rights, that the responsibilities all fall to the other guy. They think this nation is theirs! It's OURS!

You get a vote, but so do I. Most people in America think burning the flag should not be a crime. The mob has overruled you, so sit back down until the next time people need to be reminded what it is exactly that they're fighting so hard to stop - the creeping doom of your mentality.

Somethin' in the water..somethin' on television..somethin' in the air or in the food...

Something has gotten into people in a bad way.

[edit on 16-7-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
WOW! WyerdOne your post is truly enlightening and shows us the enlightened way to express our thoughs in a democratic environment! WE should learn compassion and the virtues of Free speech from you!

Dont make me laugh! Is that your attempt at being democratic and practicing free speech?
Maybe if you troll some more and abuse us we will take a fancy to your form "free speech", maybe

[edit on 16-7-2005 by IAF101]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
You wouldn't want to learn compassion from me, I have little.

I have almost no compassion in fact. I truly believe people get what they deserve, without fail.

But what's great about America is that we're free to disagree.

Challenge me to a debate on the issue if you want, but I'm going to end this now before it detracts from the thread.

Although honestly, I think the thread has done an excellent job at showing just what it is that true patriots will never countenance. Flag wavers...

Yuck.

A true patriot cherishes the ideals his flag stands for, he doesn't give a crap about the flag itself.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
A true patriot cherishes the ideals his flag stands for, he doesn't give a crap about the flag itself.

You have voted WyrdeOne for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The flag stands for an idea: Freedom. You can't burn freedom by burning a flag. You can burn freedom by restricting freedoms, even restrictions as stupid as burning the representation of freedom.

99% of the population is going to treat the flag reverently. If 1% wants to burn it, eat it, wipe their ass with it, go ahead. It doesn't hurt anybody.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   

It doesn't hurt anybody.

That's it, right there! See! That's the point all these extremists are failing to understand.

Without a victim, there can be no crime.

I actually disdain the word patriot, but I find myself slipping into the commonly accepted use of it. I think it's best retired, or at the very least returned to its original meaning.

www.etymonline.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Hush up

They did the right thing by tossing him in jail. The American flag stands for everything our fathers stood for. Freedom and the pursuit of happiness.
The fact that the current gov cant give us either of the above is no reason to abandon your flag. Honor your flag no matter what.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I wrote a paper in high school 15 years ago about why it's insane to outlaw burning the American flag. Symbol of our freedom, but "well...but...you're not free to mess the symbol up or anything."

Doesn't matter what my patriotism is on this matter, or that I wouldn't do it myself. What's the worry really?

With everything that is going on in government by ELECTED representatives and corporations influencing decisions about our lives or losing millions of files with citizens private info (well, at one time this stuff was private until the government wanted to get around info collecting laws by using businesses to do it instead) who cares in the least about a drunk kid lighting a flag on fire. Did it cause a riot?

I'm ashamed. The masses are penny wise and pound foolish. And this kid needs to be punished? Give me a break.

Meanwhile, a government idiot(s) illegally reveals the identity of a CIA operative and I live in middle america and live under more and more surveillance as border patrols find TUNNELS under our southern border.

I hope this case shows how stupid it was to lock the kid up. If anything, bust him for underage drinking or something legit. The money the state has wasted on this case already could have been used for something important, like more cameras to spy on people...in case we all start burning flags.

I'm not litigious, but if I was that kid and his parent's, I'd be getting my case together for sure.

We don't all have to agree on HOW civil rights are used to AGREE that we all have them (less and less and less as displayed by this stupid arrest). Arrest first/figure it out later. This kid will probably spend the rest of his life on some meaningless "watch-list", whatever that means.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Hush up

They did the right thing by tossing him in jail. The American flag stands for everything our fathers stood for. Freedom and the pursuit of happiness.
The fact that the current gov cant give us either of the above is no reason to abandon your flag. Honor your flag no matter what.

The flag is nothing, it's just a symbol. The Constitution is what should be honored, and by making flag burning illegal, that is violating our rights to freedom of speech.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
isnt this the kid who burned a neighbors flag?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join