It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karma...can you explain?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Can anybody explain all the points on this matter. Or show me good links. Would apreciate

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Giving you the Hindu aspect of Karma, it is basically the premise of "what you sow, you shall reap" sort of like cause and effect. For every action there is a reaction. Karma can happen at anytime. Your actions during life determine what type of karma you experience. Be a positive, helpful, good, kind person and karma will see that you prosper. Be negative, mean, unkind, karma will see to it, that negativity comes your way.

Basically Karma is the Hindu explanation for what some might say is God's Judgement, except there isn't any god to blame, just yourself and your actions.

try these sites for more detailed explanations.
en.wikipedia.org...
The Law of Karma

You'll have to ask more specific questions for more specific answers

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I totally agree with world watcher, but I will add alittle of my own belief and understanding:

Karma, As it is widly known as the golden rule, The boomerange effect, 3 fold, 10 fold. etc... Virtually if you do something good, then you will have good done to you, same goes with bad,

BUT

There is a thing called Instant Karma, which is virtually like, if you smack someone then a few minutes later you fall down the stairs. or help an old lady put her groceries in her car, and then find a $50. These are also instant Karma

Then you got the Long term karma, the type of stuff that you can do ALL good stuff in your life, yet still have bad luck, then all the sudden all the good stuff you did pays off and you all at once and ur livin the life u hoped for.

and ofcourse the average Karma that gives u alittle reward here, and gives you good luck on ur next life.

Though im sure you can find better and more reliable statements about Karma, but this is simply my interpretation. You need to find your own interpretation
observe my friend and understand the secrets of life.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Karma is the universe's law of cause and effect. What you do you reap. You do harm you experience the three fold law. You do the right thing thing for the right reason you will also experice the three fold law.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
preety much all 3 of us have our own interpretation of Karma, but none are 100% correct or 100% incorrect. You believe what you choose to believe and find the answers for yourself.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Very diplomatic Druid, but there is a 'truth' it is simply that we keep trying to enclose a huge idea with a handful of words.

I am pleased to see both 3-fold (Wiccan basis) and 10-fold (modern mystic view) because they are at least looking in the right direction. I think the truth is that multi-fold is as close as we can get. There is rarely a basic 1-1 type of reaction here, 'instant karma' is really just humans jumping to conclusions about why something happened (and a cool song).

Life is a process that is determined by so many events that it boggles the human mind. Each action we take, each feeling, each thought, are added into the flow and that influences our course through Life. So we make simple 'rules' to make it easier to understand, hence the 'Rule of Three'.

Other living beings play a part in our Karma based on their own personal set of beliefs. We do not exist in isolation and there are consequences to almost every action. You may do one thing today that will impact you every day for the rest of your life, or you may do a hundred things that only echo for a few hours, it is in no sense simple.

Humans do understand this they just tend to ignore all but the most direct of reactions. The responsibility we have for our own lives, and the control we have over the quality of those lives, are both absolute. It is not Fate, nor Destiny, or even 'god', it is us.

Karma.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
You'll get a different answer from each person. I believe differently from the next guy and the next person will believe differently from that so on and so forth. Karma is big with me. that probally has the biggest influence in my life. Not that Karma controls me. It's always in the back of my mind. If it harms none do as I will, but it could possibly harm someone I'll leave it alone.
I also let karma settle scores for me. If someone does something to me, and there's nothing I can do about it, I'll let the universe balance it out.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I must say, Both VERY WELL said from Alexander Tau and damien1966

it is very true, you will always get a different opinion from everyone, BUT you will also always come across some common ground between all of them, regardless how vastly different they may seem or what culture or religion they may come from.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
my karam got the best of me while trying to actually give a really interesting lecture on the subject. I tried but somehow a pop up showed up and while i was happily typing away my nice explanation got erased.

But the main point i was gonna make is that karma is not restricted to one person alone it is infectious. I can do something bad and the effect may hit someone else or i can benefit of someone elses good karma. It is foolhardy to believe in a fair game where all people get there commotments.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Muahahahahahahah That is my explanation and i wil stick to it. Sorry for this stupid post though i just want to see if my profile color change affected my picture on the left.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
What is fair?

In most legal senses it means totally unconnected to the people in dispute. So in the community style of fair the best judge is one who is unaffected in any direct way by the matter at hand.

Karma is based on the idea that the ultimate in fair is decided by each person for their own life. You are your own Judge, putting aside my respect for Law, that really is about as fair as it gets is it not?

Others play their part, anyone who is connected to you shares in your choices. Each person is making their own choices along the way so it is pretty complex. But when you untangle the whole web, it does make sense.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The easiest explanation of this would be the old adage, "what goes around, comes around". If you do something good, then something good will happen to you. If you do something bad, then something bad will happen to you.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
soooooooooooo what did all those people in asia do that caused a tsunami ?????? musta been pretty naughty !

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
"Karma creates nothing, nor does it design. It is man who plans and creates causes, and Karmic law adjusts the effects; which adjustment is not an act but universal harmony, tending ever to resume its original position, like a bough, which, bent down too forcibly, rebounds with corresponding vigor." - H.P.Blavatsky

Here's an entire Online-Course about Karma:

Karma - The Infallible Law

A lecture about how suffering is related to Karma:

Suffering and the View

Peace

[edit on 18-7-2005 by Tamahu]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
And why is this in the 'Paranormal Studies' section?

What's so "Paranormal" about cause and effect?

Now a topic regarding The Lords of Karma(such as Anpu), who are said to be able to be visited in the Astral Plane on the other hand; may better fit in this section(although I would still put it in the Religion section).....

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Regardless of the educated answers i don't believe any one knows everything there is to oknow about karma or if it should even be called karma.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tamahu
And why is this in the 'Paranormal Studies' section?

What's so "Paranormal" about cause and effect?

Karma is beyond the normal experience. I see no reason to move this subject. Appears to fit the dictionary definiton quite well.

par·a·nor·mal (pr-nôrml) KEY

ADJECTIVE:

Beyond the range of normal experience or scientific explanation: such paranormal phenomena as telepathy; a medium's paranormal powers.

End of commercial, so back to the topic

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Fair enough.

And I say this because Karma does work along subtle lines.

However; to understand that Karma is cause and effect, shows that it's not necessarily as "mystical" or "paranormal" as many assume.

So I suppose it depends on if we're limiting our discussion here, to the workings of Karma regarding it's workings in the Physical Plane; or if were going beyond that.

Karma Online Course

Naturally, the Law of Karma is well understood in the East, in Hinduism and Buddhism. In those teachings, the Sanskrit term ‘karma' is defined as "the law of cause and effect," or "the law of consequence." Karma is derived from the root work Karman.

Karman: (Sanskrit) an act.

Obviously, for every action, there is a result. This is well understood in materialistic physics through Newton's Laws of Motion:

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. - Newton's Third Law

In Gnosis we understand that the physical world is inferior to many other dimensions or levels of reality. Scientifically, we understand that light has many levels of vibration. With our physical senses we only perceive an extremely narrow band of vibration.

Through the knowledge of Kabbalah we come to understand that the range of light we perceive physically corresponds to the world of Malkuth: the physical world. But above the range of visible light is a huge expanse of light: thise range corresponds to the superior worlds of the Kabbalah, or in other words, the Heavens. Likewise, the range of inferior vibrations, which is also extremely wide, corresponds to the inferior worlds of the Kabbalah, called the Klipoth or the Hell Realms.

To some degree, we can all perceive the results of action in the narrow band of physical action.
We do not perceive the results of action in the expanse of the ultra- and infra- regions.
All the vibrations of light interpentrate without confusion.

At this moment, we are surrounded by light corresponding to every range of vibration.

When you move your hand, you see the physical action and its results. But you do not see your hand moving in the ultraviolet. You do not see your hand moving in the infrared. It is possible to perceive these realms if we have the means. However, we do not refer to physical technologies, which are merely an extension of the physical senses: we refer to psychological technologies, which traditionally are called meditation, clairvoyance, and dream yoga.

All action has results throughout the range of worlds. The movement of your hand produces results that you cannot perceive with the physical senses.

Karma, cause and effect, is universal and all-penetrating.

PEACE

[edit on 21-7-2005 by Tamahu]

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
hey Tamahu, thats a pretty cool site there. Thanks for sharing.

[edit on 7/21/2005 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
soooooooooooo what did all those people in asia do that caused a tsunami ?????? musta been pretty naughty !

Well, to all the believers of Karma that have posted, I'm still awaiting an answer to this question? What did this people do to deserve such horrifying devistation and destruction?

Some more questions that I would seriously like answered: What horrible act has an infant/toddler done that gets it shot by a stray bullet in the city? What attrocity has an infant commited that leaves it deathly ill at a very young age? These questions are not meant to be specific necessarily, but they are meant to get you to think about your own opinions and look at things from the big picture:

Every single one of your claims about what karma is, is simply your own opinion, nothing more. Of course you all know the definition, but think about the fact in a realistic sense. There is no "scientific evidence" to back karma up other than the fact that your own mind will get the better of you in the long run. But who cares about scientific evidence, let's look into karma a little further from my POV.

I personally think that Karma may exist on some levels, but it is merely a perception of the human mind. Someone does something "bad" and they know about karma and so they bring it on to themselves. Say for instance you trip a little kid, and then realize, "oh crap, I'm gonna pay for that one." Your own mind will influence you so much and you will be thinking about it so much that you actually will fall down the stairs as a form of "karma."

The courses and events throughout a life are almost infinite, some people never have really bad things happen to them, some people never have really good. There are so many small random good AND bad things that happen to people that you could place that "karma" related event to anything you've done in the past. It's kinda like looking at a cloud and seeing what you want to see, there is always "something" there. A very bad thing could happen to you and you will just think back as far as you can and remember something bad you've done, and connect that with your bad karma.

In conclusion, there is no reason that karma actually exists besides a perception of your own mind. If you can control your own mind and know that you control your own actions, than why subject yourself to the possibility of horrible things happening to you? Everyone always talks about karma and just accepts it as natural. But NO ONE ever ACTUALLY and TRULY thinks it through. The old "what goes around comes around" right? But that's just stupid, why should that make any sense? Life is what you make of it, and so many things happen in the course of your life that can't plan on that. If you accidentally do soemthing bad, why should you have to worry about retribution unless you want it? The more you think something bad will happen to you in return, odds are IT WILL. Consequently if you think good things will happen to you and you always stay positive. Guess what? Good things will happen to you.

Just my 2 cents people, please just keep your eyes open and don't take everything for granted, like bad stuff happening to you. Take what you will from this, thanks.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join