It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you can predict the future, then destiny must exist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
If somebody can predict the future, then destiny must exist.

Doesnt this seems logical to you?

If i can see the future, and nothing can change it, then that means that by all means, doing whatever you want to avoid it, that future will happen. THats destiny.

There are relates about that, and everybody knows. A guy predicts that a specific person is going to have a car crash, then this person is warned about that, so he sits at home and doesnt use the car at all. But someday his mother gets sick, he gets the car to go to see her, and he has the predicted crash.

IF it cant be avoid, then destiny must exist, and this persons can tell parts of your destiny.

Though this doesnt really surprise me. The universe seems to me to damn mathmatic to be coincidence.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Your header pronouncement would be quite correct given your postulation. Such has major ramifications also from a religious perspective as well, not the least of which is the concept of freewill.

The question then becomes can anyone really predict the future, at least to the extent that the prediction leaves no room for interpretation?

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NinterX

If i can see the future, and nothing can change it, then that means that by all means, doing whatever you want to avoid it, that future will happen. THats destiny.

There are relates about that, and everybody knows. A guy predicts that a specific person is going to have a car crash, then this person is warned about that, so he sits at home and doesnt use the car at all. But someday his mother gets sick, he gets the car to go to see her, and he has the predicted crash.

IF it cant be avoid, then destiny must exist, and this persons can tell parts of your destiny.

Though this doesnt really surprise me. The universe seems to me to damn mathmatic to be coincidence.

Specifically, some one might predict a (probable) future based on an extrapolation of from known facts/conditions in conjuction with various assumed interviening factors and conditions not currently in evidence: ie. Aurthur C. Clark "predicting" the invention of communications satellites.

That's what I would call "Ana-Prolepsis" , Analysis, Projected into the Future ('Lepsis", as in ellepsis "...", the grammatical mark for "going forward").

Then there's simple Precognition; "seeing" a "snapshot" of some future thing or event.

Precogs are by nature what one would likely call "Destined to Occur". However, precogs are usually very limited in terms of content....they tend to capture, at most, a few moments of time, and not the context in which the moment will occur; think in terms of a Deja Vu experience in reverse.

But does this prove Destiny exists?

Well, from personal experience, I know that I have been able to change the outcome of an event at the moment of its occurrance as a direct result of having previously experienced the event as a precog. So on the one hand, Precognition could be seen as an arguement for the existence of what some would call "Destiny"; on the other hand, remembering the precog while experiencing it as a deja vu moment and thus being able to change the outcome of the precoged event, would argue against the existence of a fixed, immutable Fate.

Then of course there's Prescience.......A thing definatelyNOT for beginners!

In Prescience one actively, willfully, chooses the course events are to follow to achieve a defined goal. Prescients, those who have developed thier innate talents to the point that they can "set a path to A particular future", actually bend the flow of Time and Probability to their wills.

In "Dune", Frank Herbert does an excellent job explaining the nature, process and danger of true Prescience; although, obviously, the Spice does not exist...at least not in the form as described in the novel.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
It depends what you mean by destiny. If your interpretation is that there is only one possible route for the future, I would say no. This leaves out the possibility that there is an infinate number of different possibilities in the future. It could be sort of like alternate dimensions, with each timeline playing out slightly differently with one different variable altered. Unfortunately, this gives the impression that some predictions come true, while others do not, and are brushed off as lies, hoaxes, whatever. When someone makes a prediction, they are only seeing one possible outcome for the future.

If you randomly stick your arm out, are you destined to do this no matter what? Or is you sticking your arm out only one possible outcome. You could also randomly reach upwards, stand up, or do nothing at all. I believe that each of these possibilities have already been laid out.

This means that the past, present, and future are all happening simultaniously in the same moment. So I suppose you could call destiny "the way that you happen to play your life out, the culmination of all of your life choices, showing one possible outcome." No matter what you do, your life becomes your destiny, because no matter what you do, you are going to do something.

But time is such a confusing topic, and I'm really too tired to get too into this.

[edit on 15-7-2005 by Yarcofin]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
What if someone predicts that I will go over there but I intentionally stand still? Then I broke destiny!

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Perhaps that would be true, however, wouldn't it also be equally logical assume that this person's prediction may only be based on the events that has happened up to that very moment? And that anything after that would influence the future?

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   

To me, predictions are nothing more than mere senerios of the futures, yes, someone predicted the future, might it happen, yes, but probably not, or it might be a little bit off, so the prophet predicted a close senerio. So, basically to me, there is no such thing as destiny, unless if we choose our own, but then that wouldnt be destiny, wouldnt it? Anyways, its just something I found on my own.

Okay so let take an example: A woman went to a psychic to get herself read. The psychic predicts that the something bad is going to happen tomarrow, if the woman board the plane tomarrow. Freaked out, the woman decided to cancelled her trip. Later on the next day, after the plane has left the airport. The woman turned on the television, and found out that the plane she was planning to board, crashed, everyone on the plane died.

See, it was her destiny to die that day, but she manage to change the scenerio, thus creating a new scenerio for herself....and wham.

[edit on 15-7-2005 by skyblueff0]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Future can be changed know whater what you or me or anyone can change the future what it may be but i agree with the last person to post it is just scenarious and it can be changed. anything is possible with free will.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   
well talk about the future i have it on my own the meaning is, i all ready know most of the thing to come.how do i know about that.somewhere in 1980s there is a book written by one prof from US i cant remember his name and the book title is my real secret.that book have been publish most in singapore and malaysia regional country.to tell what inside about that book is what USA planning to do up to until now is already been written in that book about technology,terrorism,space type city planning,nasa development about sattelite,and all the very best of it own is try to create
a human using tech if something or nuke war maybe happen in USA then that type of the tech will be using so i have taken one step to do a research and find one it so called MOTHER SHIPTON PROPHECY.so it seem like all about the future is a real live from that book.
okay i give one story from that book.it stated that in one day only after the NUKLEAR WAR in USA,and most of the industrial down to death CANADA will take place to invent a lot of a electronic device include a hover bus and hover car........ and more.
well thanks a lot prof of course i swear wont use all the data and infomations to become LE RESSISTERNCE BOMBERS or SUPER RESISTERNCE BOMBERS

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
This is a really difficult issue. I guess the most important thing to consider is if we can actually predict the future. Is it possible to see the without a doubt future? Do we only see what might happen? Seeing what might happen would allow for a chance to change that future. But if what you saw was what would happen if you didn’t see the future, why didn’t the vision put you seeing the future into consideration? Perhaps it was destiny that you would see that vision and thus bring about the other future. Could there be a predicted future and a true future.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   

would you say that strongly religious persons, who do everything possible
to help their faiths prophecies become reality, are predestined to that task?

are we only following implanted suggestions?
are we just following paths which our 'roadmaps of life' lay out before us?

in your second sentence, "If I can see the future..."
the 'future' you are seeing, is definitely the future you have been conditioned to believe will occur...(out of a vast pool of possible futures-
seen thru the eyes of others)

well anyhow, it may be your definition of Destiny which should be reconsidered. because destiny works somewhat different at micro vs. macro levels

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
"What if someone predicts that I will go over there but I intentionally stand still? Then I broke destiny!"

What if this is the destiny? What if the fact that somebody predicts your future and you are able to avoid it , is actually suposed to happen?

xu

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   
destiny already exists scientifically, without the need of a religion or prediction, the same casues always creates the same outcome, however keep in mind that the causes and their effects are infinite. even if you try to calculate the future in a sterile lab environment there are infinite effects which you wouldnt be aware of their existence. so we have a long way to go (cpu power) before we can actually see the future or destiny as some call it.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by xu
destiny already exists scientifically,

wouldn't that actually then be 'a predictable outcome' or a 'end result of a process'...instead of a "destiny" ??

without the need of a religion or prediction, the same casues always creates the same outcome, however keep in mind that the causes and their effects are infinite. even if you try to calculate the future in a sterile lab environment there are infinite effects which you wouldnt be aware of their existence. so we have a long way to go (cpu power) before we can actually see the future or destiny as some call it.

aren't/ isn't, a starting point needed here?
A definition of destiny, or just what compromises the idea of Destiny....

~~~~~~~~~~

i don't know exactly how, but this man's concepts fits pretty well in this
line of thought...you all might explore in your spare time:
www.bigbangtango.net...

ciao

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
my phillosophy of that is: all the things that go on today has already happened. einstien proved you can go faster than the speed of light fast enough to pass time. so maybe, just maybe these peoples brain functions sometimes go faster than the speed of time to see the future that has already happened. i know it is crazy, but it exsplains the unexsplainable sometimes.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

What if someone predicts that I will go over there but I intentionally stand still? Then I broke destiny!

What if this is the destiny? What if the fact that somebody predicts your future and you are able to avoid it , is actually suposed to happen?

Then the premise: "If somebody can predict the future" would be broken, which means the whole argument would be broken. The argument was "If somebody can predict the future, then destiny must exist."

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
ya I think of this along the lines of..

If god knows what you do, then really we dont have free will.. The best illusion of all.

new topics

top topics

join