It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Body armor at work!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   

that was not a army joke. they don't shoot at each other! as for what the insurgent was firing it was most likely a ak-47 or ak-74. no sniper would aim for the chest on that easy of a target.

If u mean he should aim for the head, that's pretty hard. Head is smaller target than chest and it's easier to miss if the guy moves around. Also it's hard to hold the rifle steady unless you're very experienced so it's a safer bet to go for the chest. jiggles too much...

And I think those snipers underestimated the soldier's armour. Maybe they thought they could at least wound the guy a bit then when he falls down they'd shoot him again, but turns out, it didn't even scratch him.

7,62x54 mm bullet weighs abut 10g and flies about 828-750 m/s. So it cives to bullet very big kinetic energy -> to 100yrd = 1996 lbs (898 kg) (those numbers are for 7,62x51, the 7,62x54 is more powerfull)!

Is the tip of the bullet 10g or the whole bullet? Cos, only the tip of the bullet hits the target. Don't forget the rest of the bullet is just gunpowder (which is blown up when powering the bullet) and the casing (which is discharged), only the tiny tip of the bullet does damage.
Also the bullet does lose energy after travelling longer distances because of air friction

[edit on 23-7-2005 by Taishyou]

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Taishyou, for your future responses (just trying to help you with better firearm knowledge):

CARTRIDGE: The entire assembly of bullet/case/powder/primer. Also called a "round".

BULLET: The projectile, and only part of the cartridge that is sent downrange.

CASE: Made of drawn brass alloy, or very mild steel (and some limited range military training ammunition that is made of plastic). It contains the powder/primer/bullet before firing. When empty, it is still just called the case (savvy shooters refer to it as "empty brass", "brass", or "empties").

PRIMER: Set into the base, or head, of the case. It is pressure sensitive, and is detonated by the central impact of the firing pin. Flame from the primer's chemical compounds passes through a hole (called the flash-hole) and into the case.

POWDER: Made of various recipes of chemical compounds. It primarily consists of a nitro-cellulose base ("guncotton") combined with other compounds to limit burn rate and flash levels (usually with graphite, which gives modern smokeless powder its black coloring).

Take this info, and wow'em with your next firearms post

PS: no offense intended buddy! Just a pet peeve of mine, to see skewed info about weapons.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
ic, thanks

I just found it wierd that he says the bullet has 898 kg of kinetic energy... kg is not a unit for energy... and if he meant it has a force of 898 kg, that's almost a ton! Like getting hit by a truck! I thought either he miscalculated somewhere or I interpreted it wrong

I meant to say is the bullet 10g or the cartridge 10g

[edit on 24-7-2005 by Taishyou]

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Bullet leaves the gun, and exerts an equal and opposite force. The kick you'd feel from the gun is the force that threw the bullet out.
I couldn't see the movies the sites don't work for me.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   

>>Head is smaller target than chest and it's easier to miss if the guy moves around. Also it's hard to hold the rifle steady unless you're very experienced so it's a safer bet to go for the chest. jiggles too much...

yes i know how much the gun jiggles but most of these people have been shooting since they could walk

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
ive read descriptions of trauma caused by getting show by diffrent weapons. lets say that soldier who got shot was shot with a 7.62 round from 200 yards. even if the trauma would have broken a rib with adrenaline pumping thru you i bet its the last thing on your mind first being where can i get some cover.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
ive read descriptions of trauma caused by getting show by diffrent weapons. lets say that soldier who got shot was shot with a 7.62 round from 200 yards. even if the trauma would have broken a rib with adrenaline pumping thru you i bet its the last thing on your mind first being where can i get some cover.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a around is not going to nock you off your feet

.223 at 100 yards 929lb behind it.

now a .223 is putting donw 929lb over .223 inches

now when it hits the strike plate in the vest it spreads that over around 1 sq foot...

929/4 = 232.25lb thats spread over 1 inch

232.25/12 = 19.3541666lb

the amount of force to brake human skin is around 145lb per sq inch. so there is no way 19lb of force spread over a 1 foot plate is going to make some one go flying...

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Is it just my computer or...??? I was unable to read the links, could you make sure that they are correct...

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
They've expired, so it seems. You can probably find it if you surf the net.

You have to admit, for a Ak-47 or even a Daganov, that was a good body shot.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
My old CO was hit by a 7.62x51 NATO in the chest in S. Armagh from around 300m by an IRA sniper about 12yrs ago. The force of the impact knocked him backwards so hard that he was thrown over the fence he was standing by. He was found upside down, feet in the air, wondering where the horse that kicked him had gone! The INIBA plate in his chest saved him (he has the plate mounted on the wall in his office).

I also have a mate in my platoon who was hit by the same type of round from about 100yrds away, and did not even fall down. Instead, he emptied 30rds of 5.56mm in completely the wrong direction, before getting a smack in the mouth from the section commander (me) for being such a nugget.

The reaction of the body to being hit is dependant on the angle of impact, the posture/size of the target, the awareness of the target, the type of round that he is hit with, the presence of a trauma pad in the armour... the list goes on.

[edit on 14-11-2005 by PaddyInf]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
www.break.com...

here is the video since the links are down and somebody requested for the video. enjoy. Allah Akbar!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join