It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roman Era Siege & Anti-Personnel Weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
As we've been on about ancient civilisations, their armies and who as the best, etc - I would like to ask your opinions about ancient weapon systems and their effects.

The Romans were probably the best at laying siege to to walled towns and cities, often using such weapons as Onagars/Heavy Onagars, Billistas/Semi-automatic Ballistas - the world's first ever machinegun-like weapon?, Siege Towers and Rams of varying sizes.

They also used another type of Ballista, but I can't remember it's name. These were much smaller and fired shaped anti-personnel bolts about the size of a medium throwing spear.

They also used flaming arrows with the Ballistas and 'burning rocks' with the Onagars - a very effective weapon against even the most heavily armoured troops.

So what do you all think?

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Well, firstly the Romans were not the best at laying sieges. Their siege technology was quite primitive until Caesar times. The Greeks (or better said post alexander helenistic kingdoms) were much better in siege engines. Demetrios Poliorkestes (conqueror of towns) was one of the most famous commanders using complex siege weapons. The devices used by Archimedes in Syracuse were also much better than roman ones.

Anyway if you are into the unique ancient weapons you can check this thread about the Chinese semiautomatic repeating crosbow ( with 10 arrows "magazine").

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Cheers my friend.

Don't agree with you about sieges but your link to the Chinese crossbow was very interesting.

It is a much smaller version of the Roman ballista-like siege machine which was mounted on a tripod. The 'gunners' or 'archers' even had a thick wooden shield to hide behind whilst refilling the bolt hopper.

join