It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minutemen coming to a border near you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The group called the Minutemen who made national news for gathering and patroling the Mexico border for illegal's crossing, has now been aggressively recruiting for a larger force of patrols that seems to be getting alot of attention.

What is wrong with our Federal Border Patrol that citizens have to gather and do their jobs for them? There has been evidence of middle easterners crossing into the US from Mexico and the unprotected borders are a major threat to our national security.

Why hasn't tax dollars and the Homeland Security budget been allocated to protect our borders more closely?

I am scared and so should you be.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TacOps Security
There has been evidence of middle easterners crossing into the US from Mexico and the unprotected borders are a major threat to our national security.

People are feeling too safe and not supporting Bush and Co. in their .... (imagine three dramatic descending musical notes and impressive visuals here) War on Terror!

Letting terrorists into the country increases the fear of the people, therefore increases their support for a war whose support is drastically waning. That's the theory anyway.

I am scared and so should you be.

I am not scared. I am motivated to do something to get those borders closed... and so should you be.

[edit on 15-7-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I am all for the Minutemen and what they stand for. Unfortunately our government won't wake the hell up.

Here is an interesting statewide initiative (California) proposed by Ray Haynes, "that calls for the formation of a separate police force that would patrol the Mexico/US border."

Read the full text

Of course the state would be asking for Federal dollars...

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Actually I am more scared of the fact that the average american feels as if they have a right to possess a gun and use it while drunk or just out of anger.

Why hasn't tax dollars and the Homeland Security budget been allocated to protect our borders more closely?

As for this question, those that enter illegally are more motivated to succeed than those who enter through passport checks and the works. From my perspective the american dream is a lot stronger in illegal immigrants from Mexico.

It would cost money and its labour intensive (A majority of americans wouldn't dream of sitting in a booth on hot days watching cars and trucks drive past with nothing to do). If you want that job that pays $5/hr sitting in one of those booths without protection then by all means apply.

America depends on immigrants and tourism to keep its economy from breaking apart. Should America become the next Japan (The Japan before WW2), then they would certainly start lagging behind in many cultural and industrial aspects.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
America depends on immigrants and tourism to keep its economy from breaking apart.

Somehow, I don't think the people sneaking across the border from Mexico are bringing in too many tourist dollars...

This is not about legal visitors or even immigrants, but people who are trying to cross illegally to either get jobs here or for foul play, neither of which is going to help our economy.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

America depends on immigrants and tourism to keep its economy from breaking apart. Should America become the next Japan (The Japan before WW2), then they would certainly start lagging behind in many cultural and industrial aspects.

You forget that the United States economy is based on the ability to produce from natural resources and services. Should Illegal Immigration be stopped, many businesspersons would be facced with having to pay fair wages for fair labor, a practice that they currently avoid by hiring illegal aliens! The employers will scream that it will "put them out of business" but that is a 99.9% provable lie. The only effect it will have is to lower their profit margin. BTW, many of the those persons in the parking lots are making $7-10 per hour, the most egregious violators of illegal aliens are Householders and assembly line operations.

The economy will adjust, it always has and it always will.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   

[USA Today] USA - Despite new technology, Border Patrol overwhelmed

"In 2003, the Border Patrol arrested 39,215 so-called "OTMs," or other-than-Mexicans, along the Southwest border. In 2004, the number jumped to 65,814"

www.usatoday.com...

Just a news headline that I thought was appropriate for the discussuion.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Actually I am more scared of the fact that the average american feels as if they have a right to possess a gun and use it while drunk or just out of anger.

As for this question, those that enter illegally are more motivated to succeed than those who enter through passport checks and the works. From my perspective the american dream is a lot stronger in illegal immigrants from Mexico.

It would cost money and its labour intensive (A majority of americans wouldn't dream of sitting in a booth on hot days watching cars and trucks drive past with nothing to do). If you want that job that pays $5/hr sitting in one of those booths without protection then by all means apply.

My friend it is painfullly obvious you are a product of canada, no offense
. I think calling americans drunks with guns is a tad stereotypical and prejudiced on your part. Illegals enter this country and work often 1. bringing criminals and maybe drugs with them.(some, note i said not all). 2. they do not have to pay taxes for the first seven years(until the become naturalised) Which means most of the money earned is sent to mexico and leaves the american economy. 3. they do not either know or in some cases refuse to speak english which means they need special signs, forms, schooling, etc. which comes out of our pockets, a further drain on the economy. 4. the availability of cheap mass labor makes it difficult for young people or people that typically work those jobs more dificult to compete and make a decent wage. This BS that no one will work these jobs is a lie told by the corporations getting rich off their new slave labor, which brings down the demand and thus the price for this labor. The only people in america benefiting are corporations who have paid politicians to allow illegals to break the law easily. I praise these private citizens whose not only security but well being are at stake and are taking charge.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

I praise these private citizens whose not only security but well being are at stake and are taking charge.

I agree that these citizens should be commended for doing the right thing where the Govt' is falling short. If our tax dollars cannot afford to hire people to secure our nations borders, the Govt' should not be complaining that everyday citizens want to take charge to do it for themselves. The fact that these citizens are not supported by our Govt' makes me sick. I for one am happy that people are willing to do this work to help secure the US.

[edit on 18-7-2005 by TacOps Security]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
i support the Minutemen Movement, except that i think they ought to have more active involvement and more responsibility. they ought to be able to perform the equivalent of a citizen's arrest instead of just informing border patrol agents where illegals are hiding, walking, etc. they should be required to carry at least a handgun and have adequate transportation, i.e.- 4wd vehicles. granted, this should still be at their own expense and not that of the federal government's. this way, they can never be "annexxed" and disbanded. i have thought about volunteering, but i don't know the rules and i would want to stay close to home (TX), where we also have the problem (and maybe even worse than AZ). i will do more research and see if it is something that will be feasible for me to do.

[edit on 18-7-2005 by fledgling666]

new topics

top topics

join