It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DD(X)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
well, it's a matter of putting all of one's eggs into a basket, so to speak. In the case of one or two mk41 VLS launchers along the centerline, that's ALL of your missiles in two very well protected areas. Putting them into a number of periphrial launchers however, spread them out around the ship, so only three or four missiles are ever in the same spot, though less well protected. It also means you only have to armor the inside of the launchers.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
quite impressive could someone provide me with some links for thr rail gun on the DDx damn laxpla is so smart i hope i can debate side by side in some forum it's be great!

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
here are some liunks the ddzx is quite impressive it can even sdetect advanced stealth cruise missiles

sfgate.com.../n/a/2005/08/14/national/w231158D03.DTL
www.donaldsensing.com...

ddx anti stealth radar www.globalsecurity.org...

quite awsome it can even be equippped with a laser www.navyleague.org...

it has a four megawatt radar its capabilities are quite interesting i wonder if it can take down an F/A 22???

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
so what do we have F/A 22 vs DDX any takers?

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
honest to god i'd be freaked by a bow that points DOWN when plowing through a 6 pack of 30 footers in a big ol' gale
is just me who thinks that looks plain wrong?

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by nubby
honest to god i'd be freaked by a bow that points DOWN when plowing through a 6 pack of 30 footers in a big ol' gale

??????? what are you trying to say??????????

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I saw this one on National Geographic the other day, they were stating it had laser weapons powered by free energy. Or something.. they quickly skimmed over that fact and the sentence it was used in didn't make sense.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by urmomma158

Originally posted by nubby

??????? what are you trying to say??????????

That every boat ive ever been on has had a bow that points up, so when it punches into a big farkoff swell, the boat goes up as well. The front of the DDX looks like a sub, and subs go down, bad if your not actually a sub..........but i dont know it all so...........

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
its bow does go down but doesnt show up on the surface look at the submerged part soa nywayz answer my question F/A 22 vs DDX

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   
actually, quite a few ships have bows that curve down to either near verticle, or even have a large 'bulb' under the waterline to help with seakeeping ability. (though most surface combatants use this bulb as a location for hull mounted sonars.) Take a look at some supertankers if you ever get the chance.

Mostly, I just wonder how it would look in white...

[edit on 5-3-2006 by Travellar]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Actually I rather think a downward angled bow would be better then a regular bow “when plowing through a 6 pack of 30 footers in a big ol' gale.” Instead of riding out the wave you’ll cut straight thru it.

However one downside of the PVLS is that the DD(X) will only have 80 cells, an Arleigh Burke class has 96 and the Ticonderoga class has 122. This has me concerned, we should be increasing the amount of cells not decreasing them.

[edit on 5-3-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
90 and 122, three cells in both the forward and aft launchers aren't really cells, but a built in crane. Although there is talk of not including the crane in some launchers, so it's possible the latest Arliegh Burkes have 96.

The original 4 Ticonderoga class cruisers only had capacity for 80 missiles in thier magazines, which was itself a considerable step down from the previous classes of cruisers. Then again, they were originally to be considered as destroyers...

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Indeed you are most probably correct in regards to its sea keeping ability
I cant imagine all those brainiacs desinging something that doesnt cut the mustard (or umm, the swells
)......It was just my first reaction upon seeing that artists impression.......Now when that comes into service does that mean us aussies will get some pre-loved going-out-the-door naval hardware?

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 05:25 AM
link   
The idea of an inverted bow is nothing new, try looking at pictures of the early pre-dreadnaught battleships (~1900) a lot of them have inverted bows. Heck, even an ancient greek trireme had a sort of inverted bow (for the ram). They work by reducing the wave resistance at the front of the vessel. A more recent example would be Vospers Sea wraith concept design from the mid 90's. I have also seen concept fast freight carriers that use the design (part of a project to design a 40 knot trans-atlantic freighter). During model tests it was doing the equivalent of 40 knots in calm seas and was not creating a ripple. In higher sea states as was said earlier it cuts through the wave rather than riding over it. Expect more bows like this in the future!

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
ok enough of bow and hull stuff based on my source of the DDX's futuristic weapons an d advanced radar cpable of defeating advanced LO antiship cruise missiles can the DDX beat a F/A 22 or will it be a stalemate

[edit on 13-3-2006 by urmomma158]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
that is crazy for the Advanced Gun System mounts to crack after a few shots are fired , i could understand that the rounds are assisted by a rocket motor for boosting the range of the rounds.the mounts for the gun should be 8 times stronger to withstand cracking after 5-8 rounds are fired.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join