It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DD(X)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
The DD(X) is a future class of United States Navy destroyer. Among U.S. warships in development, the DD(X) is to be preceded by the Littoral Combat Ship and followed by the CG(X) cruiser and CVN-21 aircraft carrier.

The DD(X) features a low radar profile and an integrated power system, which can send electricity to the electric drive motors or weapons systems, which may someday include rail guns. The DD(X) is being designed to require a smaller crew and be cheaper to operate than comparable warships.

Wikipedia
Check out the links at the bottom.

Global Security

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
All ready been done mate, sorry. And I'll try and find the exact thread, just about the DDX.

Stealth ships steam ahead

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Sorry double post, Opps! Its gonna be locked anyway.

[edit on 15-7-2005 by blue cell]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
They're having problems with the gun on it now. Apparently it's suffering some sort of stress faults when they fire it. It's an interesting shell they're going to use. Apparently it has a rocket boost, to give it a 60+ mile range, but it fires at such a high G force that it's causing fractures after a couple of shots.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
They're having problems with the gun on it now. Apparently it's suffering some sort of stress faults when they fire it. It's an interesting shell they're going to use. Apparently it has a rocket boost, to give it a 60+ mile range, but it fires at such a high G force that it's causing fractures after a couple of shots.

83 nautical miles, however many land miles thats converts into.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Hey, is today the 16th?
Back to the subject, hmm, tanks

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Sorry.

I searched for DD(X) and could not find anything.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Try this. Great site when you need information.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Mens Fitness, August 2005, Page 25

-"The DDX can send projectiles up to 290 miles, in less then 6 mintues, thats 5000ft per second"

-"The Electtromagnetic railgun sets a projecttile at above Mach 7"

-"In the past, destoryers had 90% of their power tieed to propulsion, The DDX diverts power as needed and then returns the power back to propulsion."

Here are some interesting facts, that I was wowed about when I read it in the magazine.

[edit on 16-7-2005 by Laxpla]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
hey laxpla were did u find that out?

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I have heard that gun used on DD(X) is vertical launched, but I enter the globalsecurity web seen the pictures of DD(X) just like common gun.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:17 AM
link   
It's an improved gun, that uses a rocket powered shell for range. They're supposed to be developing a rail gun for it though.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I've been hearing it's the railgun that will be fitted, tha Advanced Gun System was the backup plan, and to the best of my knowledge, they canned the verticle gun years ago.

Not sure where Lax got the info on the all electric ship, but it's absolutely correct. There's probrably a half dozen places to find that online.

Other things in the original diagram at the top of this thread...
Duel band radar, I've only found a little bit of info on it, but it looks to have a few really neat capabilities, while possibly sacrificing others. It is a fully electronic scanning radar though, so it should be a 'better' radar than the one being installed on the Type 45s.

Periphial VLS, pretty much the same set-up as the type 45s. The advantage is that the ammo is spread all over the ship, making it much harder to knock out the ship's ability to fight by getting lucky shots into the mags. The disadvantage is the cells are along the outside of the vessel, leaving them more seriously exposed to any enemy fire. (don't worrey about the negative affects of someone shooting your ammo though, Naval ammo is VERY resistant to unwanted detonation.)

Intergrated power system, As discussed above, the ship can use power where it's needed, and should in theory be able to get better fuel economy. The drawback is, what do you do if you're trying to run like a maniac while shooting at somebody? (assuming the railguns are installed)

Intergrated composit deckhouse, I've heard they made sure it's bullet proof, and blast proof, but I certainly hope they made sure it's fireproof!
Not my favorite design feature.

Hullform, frankly, it's not a bad looking ship, and I know they test those to death to make sure it's got good seakeeping ability. I just hope no-one convienced themselves or anyone else that it'd be a good idea to use aluminum to save weight. That's just about the worst metal other than magnisium you can build a warship out of. If they had the good sence to use steel, I can be happy with it. (though a Trimaran would please me greatly!
)

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by emile
I have heard that gun used on DD(X) is vertical launched, but I enter the globalsecurity web seen the pictures of DD(X) just like common gun.

Well in essance thats what the rail gun is, a regular gun...of sorts....instead of using chemical and pressure energy to push the bullet out the rail gun uses electricty. You can see it working if yu get two strips of metal, a nail and a small battery pack (probably better if you stayed under 12 volts for trying it out) , connect up the positive to one strip and the negative to the other and then drop the nail on the two stripes. Watch it go!

Would be interesting if they could get the 6mm Hypervelocity Launcher out of Sandia National Research Laboratories, lol a .1 gram doing mach 47 at you is going to hurt lol.

Or the Maxwell Laboratories' 32Megajoule that fires a .6kilogram projectile at 3300m/s, thats roughly mach 9 lol. Ouch on impact.

www.powerlabs.org...

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   

:The program's revamping meant the Navy had to rebuild its profile for the new ships, and now does not know how many vessels will be built or at what cost. Under DD21, the Navy anticipated a production of 32 destroyers. It did not have a cost estimate because the builder and designer have not been selected. With DD21, the Navy divided planning into two teams. The Blue Team solicited shipbuilding plans from General Dynamics' Bath Iron Works subsidiary in Maine with technology from Lockheed Martin and General Dynamics. The Gold Team did the same, working with Ingalls Shipbuilding Company in Mississippi and parent Northrop Grumman Corp.

I think all pictures I have seen just is belong to GLOD Team's plan, but where is the BLUE Team's layout?

[edit on 25-2-2006 by emile]

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laxpla
Mens Fitness, August 2005, Page 25

-"The DDX can send projectiles up to 290 miles, in less then 6 mintues, thats 5000ft per second"

-"The Electtromagnetic railgun sets a projecttile at above Mach 7"

-"In the past, destoryers had 90% of their power tieed to propulsion, The DDX diverts power as needed and then returns the power back to propulsion."

Here are some interesting facts, that I was wowed about when I read it in the magazine.

Dang it, Mens Fitness always get the best scoops on military secrets

Next up, "Anabolic Steroids - Good or Bad ?"

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Emile,
I believe the article you are reading is a little flawed. The LCS, (which is being procured as part of the same effort) is being constructed under a blue/gold compitition. I believe the DD(X) however is intended to be a more traditional shipbuilding approach.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
The blue/gold team concept was used for the DDX project. The winning team was supposed to get the contract to act as the project manager with the actual building being split between the shipbuilders.

The gold teams design was chosen because it had a larger landing pad which could handle multiple aircraft, the periphial launch system and it could launch boats from the rear as apposed to the sides like traditional ships. This allowed for recovery in higher sea states.

[edit on 25-2-2006 by dragon72]

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   

:www.globalsecurity.org...
In contrast, the Gold Team proposed a new, more innovative approach. Specifically, the Gold Team proposed as its primary approach a peripheral VLS consisting of numerous modules (a total of 128 cells) peripherally located along the hull. Although the Navy recognized that the developmental nature of the Gold Team's peripheral VLS approach necessarily increased program risk, the agency viewed it as an “innovative solution to a significant vulnerability problem in virtually all U.S. Navy surface combatants”; by dispersing the missiles to the periphery of the ship, the peripheral VLS reduced the probability that a single hit would destroy the missile magazine and cause the catastrophic loss of the ship.

Rather than storing missiles in large clusters in the center of the ship, Northrop Grumman proposed placing them in groups of four between layers of steel along the sides. By dispersing the missiles to the periphery of the ship, the peripheral VLS reduced the probability that a single hit would destroy the missile magazine and cause the catastrophic loss of the ship. The inner steel would be thicker than the outer skin, funneling a blast outward if the missiles exploded while onboard during an attack or accidentally. It avoids the risk of having a single round go into a magazine of 48 or 64 cells and losing all the missiles at one time.

So both Gloden Team and Blue Team all designed VLS that was installed along the ship boardside if my understanding is wrong please correct me. Then I wondered if the VLS was installed along the vessel's centerline as Ticonderoga then the magazine of VLS could be protected from explotion out of Anti-ship missile by fitting heavy armours along the sideboard, but if installing VLS along the boardside, the VLS will be chain-explotion by missile attacking hitting the VLS to the moment by any chance. Further more, the boardside are so easy to be attacked not only by missile also by torpedo, whereas there are some parts of VLS must being under waterline, so don't you think this desgin is very dangerous?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join