It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Thailand Grants PM Emergency Powers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 06:10 AM
link   
The Prime Minister of Thailand now has the power to tap phones, censor newspapers, and detain citizens without charges. These new powers are in response to the persistent problems in Southern Thailand, where Muslim separatists have been ratcheting up the pressure. Martial law has already been declared in several areas, though there is little international press on the subject.

www.cnn.com
The new law allows Thaksin to stop the sales of newspapers and magazines deemed "threatening to national security or causing public anxiety", according to a draft seen by Reuters.

During Thursday's blackout in Yala, militants on motorcycles fired at random and tossed Molotov cocktails into shops and houses, police said.

Bombs hit a newly opened cinema complex, a hotel cafe, a karaoke restaurant and a convenience store almost simultaneously.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is an area of the world which gets very little mainstream attention. Why that is, I'm not sure. But nevertheless, this is very discouraging, because a little bit of international attention might help limit abuses of power.

The new powers were granted to combat terrorism, of course, what else. The one that disturbs me the most is the power to shut down newspapers or magazines that print things the government doesn't like.

As far as tapping phones and detaining people without charges, they have been doing that for some time, so now it's official, but it's nothing new. I'm really concerned though, that the area will only get worse as a result of this. The separatists have a very clear goal, statehood. It doesn't appear as though the Thai PM or anyone else will be able to dissuade them from that.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The Thai's will end up blaming the terrorist actions on Burma and ask the United States to invade for them. Afterall Aung Sung Su Kyi is the pin-up girl for the downtrodden political prisoner, the Thai/US wouldnt raise an eyebrow if the "liberated" that country.

With Burma as a friendly nation the United States could allow Taiwan to burn in hell for all they care. Burma would be the best strategic location against China they could wish for.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Ive heard about it on the news abit, but i didnt think it would get that bad. How bad is the problem over there at the moment?

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infinte
Ive heard about it on the news abit, but i didnt think it would get that bad. How bad is the problem over there at the moment?

The terrorist situation in Thailand is horrendous. They have been experiencing dozens of bombings in the last year or so. A Canadian weapons expert went missing in Thailand for a few months, forgot his name. He carried with him a laptop full of technical secrets for explosives. International government complicity? You be the judge.

3.8% of Thailands population is Muslim. 4% of Burma's population is muslim. I have a really bad feeling this is a set up.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
subz...i think youre over exagerrating the whole situation in southern thailand...but i do hope that the thai authorities manage to get these guys and put them behind bars without trial
they are screwing up the peace and stability in this region...

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Over exaggerating the terrorist situation in Thailand? One apparently Islamic attack on the United Kingdom and the sky is falling in, Thailand has experienced over 800 deaths due to Islamic terrorism since January 2004.

Police estimate more than 800 people have been killed since January 2004 amid unrest in Thailand's southern Muslim-dominated provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat, more than 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) south of Bangkok. Thaksin has blamed Islamic separatists for the violence. More than 90 percent of Thailand's 65 million people are Buddhist.

Bloomberg.com

I think an order of magnitude of 16x over the London bombings is enough to warrant the adjective "horrendous", dont you?

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
A Canadian weapons expert went missing in Thailand for a few months, forgot his name. He carried with him a laptop full of technical secrets for explosives. International government complicity? You be the judge.

Montgomery Paisley

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Valhall's missing link:
www.atsnn.com...

originally posted by Wyrdeone

... the power to tap phones, censor newspapers, and detain citizens without charges. ...Martial law...

Hmm. Another emerging epidemic - fascism - the response of choice to terrorism.

I especially like this phrasing:

The new law allows (the government) to stop the sales of newspapers and magazines deemed "threatening to national security or causing public anxiety",

Yikes. But at least they're right up front about it... None of this seizing of servers for vague reasons that allude mysteriously to national security.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
subz...yes i agree a lot of people have been killed and it is unfortunate...however these unfortunate events have mainly taken place in moslem majority provinces and carried out by moslems so i wouldnt necessarily construe it as islamic terrorism like the london and 9/11 attacks...maybe more like a bunch of tim mcveighs blowing things up...

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Originally posted by subz
A Canadian weapons expert went missing in Thailand for a few months, forgot his name. He carried with him a laptop full of technical secrets for explosives. International government complicity? You be the judge.

Montgomery Paisley

Thank you

Originally posted by FuGGer
subz...yes i agree a lot of people have been killed and it is unfortunate...however these unfortunate events have mainly taken place in moslem majority provinces and carried out by moslems so i wouldnt necessarily construe it as islamic terrorism like the london and 9/11 attacks...maybe more like a bunch of tim mcveighs blowing things up...

You're correct but I didnt draw a distinction between who is carrying out the terrorism. I just said "the terrorist situation in Thailand is horrendous". Regardless of who is carrying out the attacks, and where they are blowing up, the fact still remains: Thailand is beset with terrorist attacks.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Unfortunately, subz is not making a mountain out of a molehill, and neither am I. The situation is very serious, and the lack of international oversight will make abuses of power ridiculously easy to get away with.

The conflict in Thailand mirrors, in many ways, what's going on in the Philippines right now. A muslim separartist organization is demanding statehood, and terrorist attacks follow, which are claimed by/blaimed on the muslims.

Consider the number of countries suffering from unrest of this type, and you start seeing a picture of global holy war.

Religious groups, both Muslim and Christian, are far and away the most violent in the world today. They cause more deaths on a daily basis than one can begin to count, between Africa, Asia, and the Middle East.

It's a real shame that institutions supposedly dedicated to bringing out the best in men, are bringing out the worst.

One question that needs to be adressed, should the muslims have their own country in southern Thailand?

My opinion is no, because they don't form a sufficient demographic, their methods are violent and disrespectful to their fellow citizens, and the land is taken by others already.

Thoughts/opinions on the future of this conflict?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
if you look at thailand as a whole, it is still business as usual. but if you focus on the south, yes, ok...theres a problem. i dont really know why the thai govt has allowed the situation to escalate to what it is now.

maybe its because thaksins thais love thai party has only one seat for the southern region and wants them to "feel the pain" and vote for his party when elections come round next time...who knows?

and yea...country of their own? that would never happen...

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Funny how this only really heats up after a special forces demolitions expert was misplaced with a laptop full of bomb specs and known to be in thailand... and that 3% of the demographic is pretty leading in and of itself. While some insist hot spots like this demonstrate even more the need for the supposed war on terror like subz I smell a setup. Like too many events latelly the loss of mr paisley and his goodie bag laptop in the area and commencement of bombings that have caused 400 deaths in a year and a half in a country with a negligeble muslim population which results in greatly expanded government power is one more "coincidence" in a long string of coincidences that all result in loss of civil liberties in nations across the globe. Now those of you who have studied the world of intelligence gathering will note that in that field very rare are the true coincidences... In this case we are seeing a repeating and disturbingly similar pattern on multiple continents usually at opportune times to vault terrorism back into the news right as a crucial vote on controversial "anti terror" laws are about to happen somewhere in the world strike me as blatantly obvious in who these incidents really benefit.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   
And fugger in response to your post. Yes isn't it odd that the PM is being granted sweeping powers nation wide of a seriously civil liberties squashing nature when for most of the country it is business as usual?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 05:46 AM
link   
And when you consider that all the victim nations have substantial energy resources, or play a vital role in transporting energy resources, the plot gets thicker still.

The evidence is mounting that a global energy cartel is scooping up resources left and right, using, among others, the U.S. Army as its thug du jour. We have special forces troops in Thailand if I'm not mistaken, along with about a dozen other nations. We're funding the muscle for an international cartel that's going to suck this country dry and move its interests elsewhere.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
And when you consider that all the victim nations have substantial energy resources, or play a vital role in transporting energy resources, the plot gets thicker still.

The evidence is mounting that a global energy cartel is scooping up resources left and right, using, among others, the U.S. Army as its thug du jour. We have special forces troops in Thailand if I'm not mistaken, along with about a dozen other nations. We're funding the muscle for an international cartel that's going to suck this country dry and move its interests elsewhere.

True. It was done with Gold, now its being done to oil. Any bets on who this cabal is? My money is with international bankers! (oooh the irony)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

join