It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity, Taoism, Hinduism, Judaism, Islam => Worship the Same God

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Why is it so hard for people to realize that the different religions are actually saluting the same thing.

There is an old vedic saying...
"There is one truth -- The sages call it variously"

Christianity & Judaism calls it: God
Islam calls it: Allah
Hinduism calls it: Brahman (Brahman = all things || All Things = Brahman)
Taoism calls it: The Tao (A western interpretation of this is the concept of "nature")

Why is there all of this feckless discussion trying to divide the religions and argue minute scruples?

Religion is can be seen as having two aspects: Cultural & Philosophy
- The cultural aspects (customs, rules of eating, rituals, etc.) vary from area to area and cause problems because of division. This aspect is protected because it represents people's cultural identity. In the greater picture... These things DO NOT really matter.
- The underlying philosophy behind religions are extremely similar, if not one and the same.

Why should people waste time arguing about what year this person said this, or when this document was written? -----> These are cultural differences, they merely divide.

Let's not forget the underlying philosophies of our religions

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I actually disagree with you Divine....

And ......IT is a thing!

God is God.

Are you associated with the Maitreya guy?

All religions are not the same and they do not worship the same.
Maybe people think they all religions are the same but they are not.

IX
helen

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DivineSoma
Why is it so hard for people to realize that the different religions are actually saluting the same thing.
-snip-

2Jo 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

The bible says that they are not all the same.
If the underlying philosophy of those other religions is to have a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ, then we are the same.

If not, then we are not

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jake1997

2Jo 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

It says "doctrine of Christ", not "doctrine of Bible", or "doctrine of one single out of many christian denominations".
Doctrine of Christ would be: be kind to others, forgiving, give to the poor, believe in GOD, love thy neighbour, ... isn't that pretty much the basic of other religions too?

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by jake1997

The bible says that they are not all the same.
If the underlying philosophy of those other religions is to have a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ, then we are the same.

If not, then we are not

Why is it that at every step -- Christians always claim the word of the bible?

The Award-Winning Play Inherit the Wind dramatizes one of the first great skirmishes in the ongoing conflict between evolutionists and creationists. A small-town school-teacher by the name of Scopes was arrested for teaching Darwin's theory, and his subsequent trial pitted the brilliant (and agnostic) defense attorney Clarence Darrow against the passionately devout states man and three-time presidential candidate William Jennings Bryan, in what became known as the Scopes Monkey Trial. (The play and subsequent film versions give all the characters pseudonyms)

In perhaps the play's most memorable scene, Darrow (called Drummond in the film version) puts Bryan (renamed Brady in the film) on the stand and grills him about his religious objection to the theory of evolution. At the climactic moment, Darrow zeroes in on the seven days of creation from the book of Genesis and asks Bryan: "Now, couldn't that 'first day' actually have been, say, as year--or ten years--or ten million years?" "No!" storms an apoplectic Bryan. "The Bible says it was done in one day!" "But God," counters Darrow, "can make a 'day' as long as he wants, can't he?" Red-faced, Bryan insists, "The Bible says he did it in one day!"

Leaning in close, Darrow delivers his coup de grace: "Are you saying that the Bible's authority is greater than God's?" At this point in the play Bryan drops dead of a stroke, perhaps reflecting the playwright's judgement in the matter, but a point is made.

Fourteen billion years are incalculable to us, but they may be only the length of an office worker's holiday to God. If science can assign nature its own units of measurement in Planck's dimensions, can't religion be entitled to assign God a time unit for creation, be it seven days or eternity? After all, science has has no established idea about what happened before time began.

There really needn't be any great and gruesome conflict between religious cosmology and scientific cosmology. Reconciling them is mostly a matter of adopting a more analogical, less literal turn of mind. Schoolchildren, for example, might come to a clearer understanding of cosmological processes by way of myth and fable, whether the universe is represented as a tortoiseshell or a swirling maelstrom from which the hand of God commands the starry firmament. But St. Paul notes that when he became a man he "put away childish things." If I may extend the thought, we adults are to embrace the no less wondrous reality revealed to us by the chief instrument of science: the human mind.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Because it isn't true? Your religion is not mine; mine is evidently not yours.

If you want to argue for syncretism, that is your right. But I think it should be done openly, not like this.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by roger_pearse

Because it isn't true? Your religion is not mine; mine is evidently not yours.

If you want to argue for syncretism, that is your right. But I think it should be done openly, not like this.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

Quite the contrary ------ As a Hindu, I accept all other religions as being the truth. I am talking about Vedanta

Vedanta is one of the six major philosophies of Hinduism. Vedanta teaches that man's real nature is divine, and that the aim of human life is to realize that divinity through selfless work, devotion to God, control of the inner forces, and discrimination between the real and the unreal. It recognizes that Truth is one and accepts all religions, properly understood, as valid means of realizing the truth.

Religion is a way of life rather than a set of dogmas, and Vedanta places great importance on actually experiencing the truth for ourselves. Through spiritual practice we try to establish contact with the divine reality and then manifest that divinity in all our actions.

I'm not arguing for 'syncretism' ---> You must realize that Hinduism is a universal religion. Being the oldest religion in the world, it was not founded by any one proft -- rather, it is a collection of inherent truths that were uncovered by the ancient sages and passed down. Accepting all religions as valid paths to God, we also accept their Avatars as incarnations of God. Where Vedanta differs from some other faiths is that we believe God has incarnated many times: as Jesus, as Buddha, as Sri Ramakrishna, and many others. Vedanta embraces them all!

To understand what I am saying reflect on the following quotes...

"I am the thread that runs through all these pearls," and each pearl is a religion or even a sect thereof. Such are the different pearls, and God is the thread that runs through all of them; most people, however, are entirely unconscious of it.

"Truth can be stated in a thousand different ways, yet each one can be true."

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Why are we discussing this topic again?

THey may have simularities of origin, but the beliefs associated with differant religions make them differant Gods

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat

THey may have simularities of origin, but the beliefs associated with differant religions make them differant Gods

In this view, though the different religions of the world differ from one another, their underlying purpose is the same-God-realization. Just as the same water can be collected in vessels of different sizes and shapes, Truth can be seen through different religions. In each vessel (of religion), the vision of God comes in the form of the vessel.

We should draw our attention to the fact of unity in diversity, which is the very plan of the universe. The same thing can be viewed from different standpoint and yet be the same thing. The existence of differences in races, cultures and temperaments explains the existence of different religions. Recognizing difference as the very sign of life, Vedanta preaches the universality of religion. However, it reminds us that by universal religion, it does not mean an amalgam of the best elements of the different religious systems like Christianity, Buddhism, Islam and Hinduism. Never does Vedanta want a Hindu to be converted into a Christian or a Muslim into a Buddhist. The import of his universal religion is that one must stick to one' religion and yet feel the underlying bond of unity among all religions. As an assurance of the possibility of universal religion, he holds, 'If it be true that God is the centre of all religions, and that each of us is moving towards Him along one of these radii, then it is certain that all of us must reach that center. And at the center, where all radii meet, all our differences will cease.' Friends if only the Muslims and Christians shared Vedanta's views the world would be a much better place to live in.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   

There is an old vedic saying...
"There is one truth -- The sages call it variously"

Christianity & Judaism calls it: God
Islam calls it: Allah
Hinduism calls it: Brahman (Brahman = all things || All Things = Brahman)
Taoism calls it: The Tao (A western interpretation of this is the concept of "nature")

Why is there all of this feckless discussion trying to divide the religions and argue minute scruples?

Religion is can be seen as having two aspects: Cultural & Philosophy
- The cultural aspects (customs, rules of eating, rituals, etc.) vary from area to area and cause problems because of division. This aspect is protected because it represents people's cultural identity. In the greater picture... These things DO NOT really matter.
- The underlying philosophy behind religions are extremely similar, if not one and the same.

Why should people waste time arguing about what year this person said this, or when this document was written? -----> These are cultural differences, they merely divide.

Christianity is unique among all world religions - It is the the only faith
that worships a Savior, Jesus Christ, who died and rose from the dead to bring about forgiveness of sin. The reason why Christians always point to the Bible is because the Bible is the inspired "word" of God, himself!

There are no underlying philosophies of Christianity- it is not a philosophy, it is a personal relationship with God through our Savior, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. There are MAJOR differences between Hinduism and Christianity, there is supposed to be one. There is only One God and one way to eternal life: Jesus Christ .

6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. 7 "If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him." 8 Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us." 9 Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. 11 Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves. John 14:6-11

19 We are certain that we are of God, but all the world is in the power of the Evil One. 20 And we are certain that the Son of God has come, and has given us a clear vision, so that we may see him who is true, and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.
1John 5:18-20

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Now if one compares the idea behind this thread to your post, the difference should be clear.

Well said lightseeker

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The best commentary on the life of a great teacher (Jesus) is his own life. "The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head."

That is what Christ says is the only way to salvation; he lays down no other way. Let us confess in sackcloth and ashes that we cannot do that. We still have fondness for 'me' and 'mine'. We want property, money, wealth. Woe unto us! Let us confess and not put shame to that great Teacher of Humanity!

He had no other occupation in life; no other thought except that one, that he was a Spirit. He was a dis-embodied, unfettered, unbound Spirit. And not only so, but he, with his marvellous vision, had found every man and woman, whether Jew or Gentile, whether rich or poor, whether saint or sinner, was the embodiment of the same un-dying Spirit as himself. Therefore, the one work his whole life showed, was calling upon them to realise their own spiritual nature. Give up, he says, these superstitious dreams that you are low and that you are poor.

Think not that you are trampled upon and tyrranized over as if you were slaves, for within you is something that can never be trampled upon, never be troubled, never be killed. You are all Sons of God, Immortal Spirit. "Know", he declared, "The Kingdom of Heaven is within you".

Does this last statement mean nothing to you or to Christianity?

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by R Christopher from his website www.rchristopherministries.org...

Hinduism is one of the world's oldest religions with scriptures that were written over a two-thousand year period from 1400 BC to AD 500…

…Hinduism is not a single religion but a family of beliefs formulated over the same era…

…Hinduism is so divergent in its background that polytheism, monotheism, pantheism, and atheism are engendered by various sects…

…Hinduism's basic tenets include: (a) Belief in Brahman the eternal Trimutri; including Brahma (the creator god), Vishnu (the preserver god), and Shiva (the destroyer god)…

…Other tenets include: (b) A general submission to fate (one's destiny); (c) The caste system (entailing socioeconomic class distinctions)…

…(d) The Law of Karma (where the total effect of a person's life is carried from one existence to another through reincarnation); (e) Reincarnation; (f) Yogas (a Hindu discipline which is to promote spiritual insight)…

…and (g) Dharma (or the Law of Moral Order). Also distinctive to Hinduism are: the promotion of "sameness" amongst all religions, the worship of other deities (including Indra, Soma, Varuna and Mitra)…

…and an ever-changing philosophical concept concerning Brahman or god supreme. There are also some six philosophical systems (sultras or aphorisms) surrounding Hindu worship…

…In summary, the Hindu is impossibly, incontrovertibly lost without the saving grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ…

…How some can refer to Hinduism as a religion when some of its adherents do not even believe in God is beyond me.

In this age there is a tendency to pass comments and judgments on the basis of immense information available with speedy ease, but without in-depth and sincere study of a particular phenomenon or a religious branch. Such an attitude easily creates misgivings and misunderstanding, bordering on to cynicism, about a particular religion; and even about religion as such!

Believers of one denomination easily brush aside the claims of greatness and correctness made by the followers of other denominations. However, no single religion encompasses all the truths, although whatever it represents is true. Any one aspect, like universal brotherhood, solidarity, compassion, transcendence, or devotional pursuit, etc., might be emphasized and given high priority by a particular religion causing confusion about the correctness of its approach. But when related to the totality, one finds that such an emphasis is but a means to reach the goal.

The whole root of difference between Indian and European culture springs from the spiritual aim of Indian civilisation. ---- It is the turn which this aim imposes on all the rich and luxuriant variety of its forms and rhythms that gives to it its unique character.

A spiritual aspiration was the governing force of this culture, its core of thought, its ruling passion. Not only did it make spirituality the highest aim of life, but it even tried, as far as that could be done in the past conditions of the human race, to turn the whole of life towards spirituality.

But since religion is in the human mind its endeavour to take hold of life, necessitated a casting of thought and action into the religious mold and a persistent filling of every circumstance of life with the religious sense; it demanded a pervadingly religio-philosophic culture.

The highest spirituality indeed moves in a free and wide air far above that lower stage of seeking which is governed by religious form and dogma; it does not easily bear their limitations and, even when it admits, it transcends them; it lives in an experience which to the formal religious mind is unintelligible.

But man does not arrive immediately at that highest inner elevation and, if it were demanded from him at once, he would never arrive there. At first he needs lower supports and stages of ascent; he asks for some scaffolding of dogma, worship, image, sign, form, symbol, some indulgence and permission of mixed half-natural motive on which he can stand while he builds up in him the temple of the spirit. Only when the temple is completed, can the supports be removed, the scaffolding disappear.

Any use of smaller dieties such as Brahma (the creator god), Vishnu (the preserver god), and Shiva (the destroyer god) are merely to help those uneducated people who cannot immediately grasp higher notions of divinity. This is why you see different dieties locally worshiped.

The religious culture which now goes by the name of Hinduism not only fulfilled this purpose, but, unlike certain credal religions, it knew its purpose. It gave itself no single name, because it set itself no sectarian limits; it asserted no sole infallible dogma, set up no single narrow path or gate of salvation; it was less a creed or cult than a continuously enlarging tradition of the Godward endeavour of the human spirit. -----An immense many-sided many-staged provision for a spiritual self-building and self-finding, it had some right to speak of itself by the only name it knew, the eternal religion, sanâtana dharma. It is only if we have a just and right appreciation of this sense and spirit of Indian religion that we can come to an understanding of the true sense and spirit of Indian culture.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
In my view religion is determined by geography as much as anything else. Your particular "chosen" religion (if you have any) and your adherence to it, is solely a product of where on Earth you were born and brought up.

Free will choice of religious persuasion in a nation or culture heavily identified with any religion is rare.

Religion and God (however you perceive God) are two very different things.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   
when you speak of generalites there are things simular to each religion, but when you get down to specifics there are differances, and some of those differances have started or have been the cause of wars.

Hinduisum teaches reincarnation as a way of try try again method to reach salvation/nirvana. Using works, knowledge, and devotion to achive the final goal of salvation.

Christianity teaches there is no reincarnation and the only way to reach salvation is to belive in Jesus death for the annonment for your transgressions. If you fail, you go to hell, and wont be allowed to go to heaven. You faith alone decides your fate, and that faith comes to you with the help of God. this is similar to the hindu jnana yoga (Knowledge) but involves very little meditation, and hardly requires any effort at all

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   

The best commentary on the life of a great teacher (Jesus) is his own life. "The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head."

If you walk into gramma's house and say, "Hi old woman" , it would be an insult.
So too is calling Jesus Christ a great teacher, when that status is knowingly well below his correct title of Son of God, Savior of mankind.

That is what Christ says is the only way to salvation; he lays down no other way. Let us confess in sackcloth and ashes that we cannot do that. We still have fondness for 'me' and 'mine'. We want property, money, wealth. Woe unto us! Let us confess and not put shame to that great Teacher of Humanity!

Funny how you you cast more insult and shame and finish up by saying let us not put shame.
HERE is what Jesus says about salvation:
Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Jesus said NO OTHER WAY.

The Son of man not having a place to lay his head is to say that there is no rest in this world. Look at all the examples given around that verse. Let the dead bury their own, dont go say farewell, etc...
No rest here. Rest comes during the mil
Get busy with the Lords work.

He had no other occupation in life; no other thought except that one, that he was a Spirit. He was a dis-embodied, unfettered, unbound Spirit.

This is not in the bible. Jesus would address this teaching as harsh as he did the pharisee's.
He did not use the term Son of man, for no reason, so many times. If he wasnt fully human, they the price of the law could not be filled for us, by Him.

And not only so, but he, with his marvellous vision, had found every man and woman, whether Jew or Gentile, whether rich or poor, whether saint or sinner, was the embodiment of the same un-dying Spirit as himself.

1Co 15:50 I tell you this, brothers: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

Obviously they are not disembodied spirits. What did Jesus say was spirit?

Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Not your words. Jesus words.

Joh 8:43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word

Some people are so caught up by another spirit, and refuse to let go of it, that they cannot hear Jesus words. It goes in your ears, but your heart rejects it is what this means.

Therefore, the one work his whole life showed, was calling upon them to realise their own spiritual nature. Give up, he says, these superstitious dreams that you are low and that you are poor.

Luk 11:28 But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

Jesus said that if you keep Gods word, you are blessed. You cannot raise yourself. God can raise you.

Mat 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are the poor. According to you, Jesus just said, blessed are the superstitious. Another insult ehh?

Think not that you are trampled upon and tyrranized over as if you were slaves, for within you is something that can never be trampled upon, never be troubled, never be killed. You are all Sons of God, Immortal Spirit. "Know", he declared, "The Kingdom of Heaven is within you".

Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name

Luk 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Does this last statement mean nothing to you or to Christianity?

No. NOt at all the way you twisted it. But that last bible verse means everything.

Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name

[edit on 16-7-2005 by jake1997]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Love your neighbor as yourself and love "god" with all your heart...that is The Way

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSoze
Love your neighbor as yourself and love "god" with all your heart...that is The Way

Actually, Jesus is the way; the other is what you do, or should be able to do, after you have found the way(Jesus).

I am the Way, the Truth, and the life; no one comes to the father, but through me. John 14:6 (nasb)

And he answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF." Luke 10:27(nasb)

You can not truly love God or your neighbor, unless you have found your life, first in Christ, and been indwelt by the Holy Spirit. That is where the power to love, truly love, comes from.

[edit on 7/19/2005 by lightseeker]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
You have spoken truth...Yeshua is the light

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
not only is christianity not unique (google pharmacratic inquisition), it is not even original or new, all the things in it were copied from other religions, and the concept of some god watching us and refusing to interfere for good or ill has been around longer than any current country has existed. it has changed over the years, and hopefully someday, collectively we will be able to see past this and shed ourselves of the shackles of religion and embrace the future.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join