It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Fate? Does it exist? Do we determine our path?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
DAF

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Howzit guys.

A very debateable topic indeed.

If we say that a higher power exists and has control over the outcome of our lives (begin to end) then it is logical to say that we have no control over what we do! We hear that our destiny has already been written. Again we have no control.

But others say that our lives are what we make of it. That if we believe that this higher power has a plan for us then by this logic if I just sit on my phat couch at home the whole time, I won't have to worry about anything cause "there's a plan for me, this higher power has got me covered".

Or do we have to work towards this great plan instore for us. But how can you? We don't know what the plan is. All we can do is make a decent living and hope for the best.

I refuse to believe there's a plan for me. I like to think that I have control over my own actions. If I were to do something it's because I am reacting to an instance or situation and not because my path has been plotted for me to do that. We have been given the gift of free thinking. I would hate to think that my thinking capabilities has really been programmed this way for me to believe that I am actually making my own decisions when I'm not. This would be cruel.

As it is the government already pollutes our mind with utter garbage. I think 2Pac had better commonsense that any government. I like trance house by the way.

What if we all possess super powers and that our brains have been programmed to think to a much lesser potential than the folks that programmed our brains. We hear of a small percentage of people that possess the abilities that no-one else has (super powers). I mean we talk of government conspiracies which are unbeleivable, but now our eyes are being opened thanks to sites like ATS inparticular and all of us of course, so why not beleive the unimaginable about being programmed. This above is a bit out there but food for thought.

On point: Is fate efforts towards hope? Does it give us that reassuring fairy tale ending? Does it comfort us in the sense that this higher power, if any, will make everything alright?

Am I wasting my time talking about this topic? Does anyone really care if it indeed is a simulation that we are going through? Wait I need to phart. But you, you know who you are, already knew that! And thanks for last night, that blonde was a good idea in the simulation. Next put 2 into my simulation. I need more ram though.

Let me know what u think.
Have a lekker day!

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I feel that everything is pre-programmed and what happens in my life I have to say over. So I suppose I believe in fate.

[edit on 15-7-2005 by Nventual]

DAF

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
I feel that everything is pre-programmed and what happens on my life I have to say over. So I suppose I believe in fate.

according to the above quote.

So then it's not fate.
It's a simulation.
Someone has inserted instructions within your mind. Someone is your boss. You are someone's puppet. Doesn't that get to you to some extent.

Just think the next time you "spend some alone time" someone already knows about it. Not a comforting thought!

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Well I ment everything is pre-programmed, not just me.

DAF

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
Well I ment everything is pre-programmed, not just me.

I got that genius

Please read the Reoccurance Again thred. Need some help genius.
It's starting to freak me out. Please.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAF
I refuse to believe there's a plan for me. I like to think that I have control over my own actions. If I were to do something it's because I am reacting to an instance or situation and not because my path has been plotted for me to do that. We have been given the gift of free thinking. I would hate to think that my thinking capabilities has really been programmed this way for me to believe that I am actually making my own decisions when I'm not. This would be cruel.

Ah! but there is a plan for you. Its programmed into your genes. Some of your actions or behaviors have been passed down to you by your family. Part of you will have recessive traits probably caused by the environment that you are raised up in, which could lead too mutated traits. Your heredity is one of your higher powers that controls the outcome of your life.

You mention government powers and food for thought all in one paragraph. One word I have for that McDonalds lol....
Just think, you may have the thoughts of your passed relatives and like the foods they have eaten.

Hopefully nothing serious like an alien abduction will interfere with our genetics. But I'm sure GOD and faith will.

DAF

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPhiles

Originally posted by DAF

Ah! but there is a plan for you. Its programmed into your genes. Some of your actions or behaviors have been passed down to you by your family. Part of you will have recessive traits probably caused by the environment that you are raised up in, which could lead too mutated traits. Your heredity is one of your higher powers that controls the outcome of your life.

You mention government powers and food for thought all in one paragraph. One word I have for that McDonalds lol....
Just think, you may have the thoughts of your passed relatives and like the foods they have eaten.

Hopefully nothing serious like an alien abduction will interfere with our genetics. But I'm sure GOD and faith will.

Xphiles....
I have inherited physical charectaristics from my family. I do not live with my family anymore. So I can't pick up most of their habits or traits - i am no longer in that environment. I have become my own person. I eat differently in comparison to them. i do smoke any my dad used to smoke.

I can't see how thoughts can be passed on through. Can you back that up? We all learn from our surroundings. That is evident in our diverse accents. We speak like how people speak around us. That is not determined by fate. But rather taught to us by others in close contact.

I think I'm straying away from the topic. I still think that we are in charge of our life. We say what, when, and with you. Genes carry physical similarities and that is as far as I see it, until proven otherwise. Always eager to learn something new.

Chow

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
WE DO have control about our own life and faith!
It s all in your hands. There is a higher energy (God) that helps us trough our life and that has a plan for us. But we all are here on earth to learn things to experience... This all will bring us closer to this plan.
It s actually not complicated at all, just read about it in spiritual books, there you ll find all the answers you re searching for.

by the way are you dutch ( have a lekker day) ?

yavis

DAF

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by yavis
WE DO have control about our own life and faith!
It s all in your hands. There is a higher energy (God) that helps us trough our life and that has a plan for us. But we all are here on earth to learn things to experience... This all will bring us closer to this plan.
It s actually not complicated at all, just read about it in spiritual books, there you ll find all the answers you re searching for.

by the way are you dutch ( have a lekker day) ?

yavis

Yavis
I have read alot of the books on this topic.

In our culture there are many books realting to this topic. But i have to admit some are confusing. Then if read other cultures take on this topic you will find a similar relation but obviously explained using different terminologies and phrases. So trying to understand one thing is difficult seeing that there are so many takes on one thing. It's hard choosing. Both sides offer valid points.

But i still think that we have a free mind and thus we should be free in our actions. What ever happens is a result of our doing. Be it good or bad. We have a desired ending to our life. And it's up to us to work towards that. There is no path pre-determined for us. We say where we want to end up. And how we get there is up to us.

Not Dutch, more like Indian from South Africa. Lekker is Afrikaans very similar to Dutch.
Are you Japenese?

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Well you re totally right about that, there are a lot of theories on that. I also had my doubts in the beginning but then i read a book where a medium was communicating with a ghost and he answered her questions. And many other books like that seem to have the same answers.
But no book can tell you what to believe or not the truth is inside of you.
Don t search too much for that...

No I m not from Japan, I m from Belgium that s why I understood "lekker"

:-)

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Well i believe that that the future is just like water, it flows in a certain pattern but can change,

I do believe that things are already set before us, But i also believe that its not set in Stone,

I am one of these people who have small visions of things to happen, I never get alot of detail and not enough to predict a time or place of an event, just enough to connect the two, So i feel in some ways it must already be planned a little,

Its a good question and one i still search for the answers of...

DAF

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by yavis
Well you re totally right about that, there are a lot of theories on that. I also had my doubts in the beginning but then i read a book where a medium was communicating with a ghost and he answered her questions. And many other books like that seem to have the same answers.
But no book can tell you what to believe or not the truth is inside of you.
Don t search too much for that...

No I m not from Japan, I m from Belgium that s why I understood "lekker"

:-)

I got the Belgium thing. Being funnie.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I think familial aggregation will genetically determine your characteristics and will effect your destiny in life. Complicated system of events that effect sociological, psychological and cultural are the most obvious seen.
You see that you can grow out of your environment, the brain does mold. What you can not see is the genes that are active or dormant but being ready for activation for a predetermined course of events.

I think the mind is physical, the thought process is probably physical. By you smoking this causes your neurotransmitter to have deficiencies. Your physical craving for smoking will put you through a thought process that your father had. Even if you did not smoke, put aside this chemistry imbalance. The natural nutrients that the brain feeds off of will still put you in some thought process that your father had or family member. I do believe it is possible too carry on thoughts by familial aggregation. The only needed proof is the survival process that we all carry. Sorry if it sounds off topic. But i think it is related.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   
In my mind free will is an illusion, but a very good illusion. Our actions are determined by chemical reactions in our brain. These reactions come from events outside of us and within our DNA. From a larger perspective, everything operates through the laws of physics. Action reaction for everything. I go out to get some lunch because my brain tells me I’m hungry due to the reactions from my stomach due to a lack of food in it. Where I go depends on other events. I won’t go to McDonalds because in the past I grew to hate it, due to previous spending I can’t go anywhere expensive and time constraints prevent me from going far. One might go beyond chemicals and go to the level of the soul, but fundamentally is the soul any different. Does the soul really have a choice or is it still controlled by cause and effect.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Things are written on the other side as far as the soul contracts go, but we decided what we experience.Your oversoul tends to lead you in the right direction when things are out of balance.Nothing is outside of our own creation.You might even get insight through dreaming where your headed into the present or future events.In reality these events are just overlapping themselves in the non linear time.Time is happening all at one simultaneously.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
It will probably not come as a big surprise that I stand firmly on the Free Will side of the question. Fate comes into play only as a result of our Choices, ie jump off the Cliff and your Fate becomes certain.

The idea that 'someone' has a 'Plan' for us, but we are never allowed to know it of course, is just wishful human thinking. I suppose that would be nice, it certainly is comforting, but I have never found any evidence to support the idea. When I say evidence I mean anything at all that even points in the direction.

What I see is a physical form that starts with tendencies, from Genetics, and a personality core, described via Astrology, and then is molded by our initial Environment. Until we begin makeing real decisions for ourselves we are running with little control, this state we call 'Childhood'.

At some point we begin to make important choices for ourselves, our influence over our path in life begins to grow. At some point, years down the road, we find ourselves in a place that is totally of our choosing. We live in this state for the rest of our lives.

Funny, I used to wonder why people live as they do. But the plain, cold, hard, objective, truth is they make the choices, one... by... one... If you look at enough lives eventually this is not hard to see.

A.T
(-)

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I dont believe our lives are governed by fate, we all have choices in our lives and what we choose is the making of our own destiny. To sit back and say that fate rules our lives is defeatist and taking the easy way out. Life is what you make it.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 05:25 AM
link   
If we do not have free will - if everything is predestined - then how can we be held morally culpable for a crime we commit?

If we're destined to do/become certain things...then a criminal really doesn't have a choice, non?

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
There is so much that we don't know about life, it makes me think we may all be part of "God's Plan". We participate to the extent that our choices and consequences allow us, to a greater or lesser degree. We may live each moment at the crossroads of this 'plan' and our choices. Synchronicity may not be an accident.

I believe there is a collective consciousness, and it is possible to communicate with it, and with other individuals through it. Tuning out the myriad of worldly distractions and focusing on intent and outcomes at the 'crossroads' may help one develop a greater understanding of what fate, and destiny truly are.

I believe hope is efforts toward faith, not fate, and faith is the key to maintaining integrity and striving to create a positive destiny, thereby enjoying your fate rather than suffering it.

peace.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The thing with fate is its based off belief. Some people believe their fate lies with faith or a church. Some people think it lies in their own hands. Fate is a uniquely different experience for all of us. Each instance of Fate is different from the last one. We all share a similar fate. Of course we are all going to die someday. What you can ask though is what will i do with my time here? Decide for yourself or let another decide. Depends on how you as a person, either spiritual or physical deal with what you've been given. Are you a leader or do you follow? This is just my opinion of course

-Aza

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join