It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

crop circles??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
There are a number of theories circulating about the crop circles and their origins. Here are just a few possible explanations.

One opinion which seems to keep rising to the surface is that there has to be a "ground component" to this whole phenomena. A number of facts support this idea. The stalks are bent at 90 degrees at a consistent distance with respect to the topsoil (1 inch is typical). The CC sites are located on ley-lines and points connecting other geographic features (i.e., roads, sacred sites, farmer's plough marks, etc). One researcher has reported that there is a 90% correlation with water from the ground....and the beginning of the plant stem is arguably the locale for the highest density of flowing H2O throughout the plant. Anyone who wishes to pay respects to Gaia as the mother of this whole invention may also do so at this juncture....there is ample room for telluric forces and gravity effects. (The stalks do fall downward, after all is said and done!)

www.stonehenge-avebury.net...

That is a more common theory of the miraculous circles

Basically, Alfven waves are ripples or propagating waves on top of plasma-vortex structures. The vortex structures themselves form spontaneously within a plasma from shear flows and instabilities. Once formed, however, they can propagate waves in various modes, as well as deliver momentum across large distances. How does this relate to crop circles? A plasma-vortex structure such as a toroid, or a moving spiral, can explain the gentle "groomed" appearance of the plant stalks after a formation has occurred. The stalks show no mechanical chafing or damage, which would be the case if struck by a sudden whirlwind or tornado. I believe that Alfven waves create the final "push" which pulsates along the axes of vortex structures. How these are generated, and where they begin is still quite an intriguing mystery.

www.think-aboutit.com...

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it is not a good answer but I don't entirely believe in the validity of this theory.

Furthermore, Dr. Levengood performed an analysis of seed embryos from the glumes (husks) of the plant heads. In 40% of the glumes he found seed deformation of some kind as compared with the controls. "Most of these deformations can be explained by premature dehydration of the seeds," according to Dr. Levengood. However, a large fraction of these glumes showed "alterations" which he has assumed are genetic, but are rare conditions of "polyembryony" and arrested growth of the embryos without the next layer of endosperm. To study this condition further, he has proceeded to grow new generations of these affected seeds, and the results have been remarkable.

www.think-aboutit.com...

Not only are the seeds altered in some way the stalks suffer from, for lack of a better word "blowout" which means there was tremendous pressure within the stalk which caused the "blowout"

Some people have actually seen the circles being made, like this gentleman

An eye-witness case from South Wales was brought to the attention of researchers in 1991 following a letter to the Sunday Mirror. This was on farmland at Cilycwm, 6 km from Llandovery, Dyfed.
Mr William Cyril Williams wrote: "With reference to the corn circles mystery I actually witnessed one being made. I was standing in a cornfield one morning and saw a whirlwind touching the ground and forming a circle in the corn. It was just the strength of the wind in the whirlwind that formed the circle".
The event happened in the late 1940's when he worked on his father's farm, Penfedw Farm at Cilycwm. He was then in his twenties. The area is surrounded by hills on all sides, and circles had been seen there "frequently". On this occasion, a weekday in August, at about 10.30 to 11 in the morning [or circa 0930-10 GMT] Mr Williams had gone into the wheat field on harvesting day in advance of the cutting and binding machinery, and was crossing the middle of the field when he heard the buzzing noise of a whirlwind starting up only a few metres away. He then saw a spinning mass of air with dust in it, and, as he watched, in a matter of "only a couple of seconds or so the wheat fell down producing a shard-edged circle 3 to 4 metres in diameter". It looked just like the other crop circles he had seen before except that this one was completely flat-bottomed whereas some of the earlier ones had stalks standing at their centres like a conical pyramid. The vortex then died out rapidly, but during its brief lifetime (under 4 or 5 seconds) it remained at the same place.

www.stonehenge-avebury.net...

A few crop circles have been made by two men with boards and ropes as we have all seen done before just for s&g's
But other more detailed ones remain unclaiimed and some people have even seen white orbs floating above the circles at different times of the day. Their are even a few lucky viewers who saw it while filming the circles and trying to decipher their origin. Not only are the circles complex in design but they also follow a fifth theorum So what do you think about the theories and/or your own?
Are aliens, crackheads with boards or mother nature the cause of these amazing works of art?

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   
The whirlwind theory is very unlikely in my opinion. Whirlwinds/tornados tend to be quite erratic in their movements; they won't stay in one position and the wind will be at different speeds around the vortex. Also, many crop cirlces have 'corridors' that join up other nearby circles to create the strange patterns seen in many fields. For ones that last only a few seconds, i would be surprised if they could gain enough wind power to force the wheat to bend at 90 degrees.

My theory (and thats all it is, a 'theory'...i have no real proof, just makes sense to me thats all...) is that these crop circles are messages and when/if we learn to read and understand them, the 'author' of the messages will appear. If it is UFOs, I think they don't want to reveal themselves until people are intelligent enough to understand and interpret their 'language'/communications techniques. What do you think?

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimi
The whirlwind theory is very unlikely in my opinion. Whirlwinds/tornados tend to be quite erratic in their movements; they won't stay in one position and the wind will be at different speeds around the vortex. Also, many crop cirlces have 'corridors' that join up other nearby circles to create the strange patterns seen in many fields. For ones that last only a few seconds, i would be surprised if they could gain enough wind power to force the wheat to bend at 90 degrees.

My theory (and thats all it is, a 'theory'...i have no real proof, just makes sense to me thats all...) is that these crop circles are messages and when/if we learn to read and understand them, the 'author' of the messages will appear. If it is UFOs, I think they don't want to reveal themselves until people are intelligent enough to understand and interpret their 'language'/communications techniques. What do you think?

Having watched many form, i can tell you the wind does make circles and can bend wheat at 90 degree angles. Once the the shaft starts its drying phase it bends like this with only mild winds.

Also the basic circles, how the thing all started, are from natural wind patterns. Small wind votexes can not be see UNTIL you watch them make circles and other patterns in wheat.

Lastly, I have made a lot of crop circles back in my day.... if you can learn to read them, let me know what they say.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Quick thought: I understand that many man made crop cirlces are produced by walking around a pole, that is attached to your 'flattening device' with a length of rope (think Morris Dancers!
). If this is the case, (and perhaps Quest can confirm this, being a veteran crop circle manufacturer
) then perhaps people should be looking for a hole in the ground in the centre of the circle to prove its fake?

[edit on 15/7/05 by jimi]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimi
Quick thought: I understand that many man made crop cirlces are produced by walking around a pole, that is attached to your 'flattening device' with a length of rope (think Morris Dancers!
). If this is the case, (and perhaps Quest can confirm this, being a veteran crop circle manufacturer
) then perhaps people should be looking for a hole in the ground in the centre of the circle to prove its fake?
[edit on 15/7/05 by jimi]

Some we just had a guy stand in the center. Later ones we used a pole, which i would assume would leave a good sized hole for at least a few days, though eventually the soft farm soil would fill in. The most obvious way to tell man made from wind is the way the wheat lays down. Man made ones often are layed down in groups and wind based ones are more woven.

The first time i saw a show on crop circles I about died laughing as a guy talked about the radioactivity of the wheat and the way the shaft was bent being "unexplainable" while it was clearly made by people with about a 6" plank in really large clumps.

Also, he had no clue what he was talking about when it came to bent wheat shaft and was obviously clueless to teh fact that most plants in farm soil run at about 2-5 rads because of the radioactivity inherant in ground soil and fertalizers.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   
The vortex theory does not collaborate with the intricacies of the designs and complexities of the mathematics used in creating the design

There also appeared beautifully interlinked spirals, a Menorah, intricate "snowflake" and stylized "spider web" designs, elaborate "Torus Knot" and "Mandala" emblems, pentagram and floral patterns, and other distinctive formations, including an "Origami Hexagram" and several fractals (mathematical designs with a motif subjected to repeated subdivision)-all consistent with the intelligence of modern homo sapiens. At the end of the decade came many designs that included decidedly square and rectilinear shapes, seeming to represent a wry response to the hypothesized swirling "vortex" mechanism
www.csicop.org...

Here is a little info on the (cereoligist) crop circle investigator.

Cereologists were forced to concede that hoaxers were producing elaborate designs and that "there are many ways to make a hoaxed crop circle" (Haselhoff 2001, 34). (For example, some who go 'round in circles use a garden roller to flatten the plants [Hoggart and Hutchinson 1995].) While in the past some cereologists thought they could distinguish "real" from fake circles by dowsing (Nickell 1995), the more cautious now admit it is not an easy matter, "certainly not as long as we do not even know exactly what mechanism creates crop circles" (Haselhoff 2001, 34).
www.csicop.org...

It looks like these scientist have come to a conclusion

Crucially, since there is no satisfactory evidence that a single "genuine" (i.e., "vortex"-produced) crop circle exists, Levengood's reasoning is circular: although there are no guaranteed genuine formations on which to conduct research, the research supposedly proves the genuineness of the formations. But if the work were really valid, Levengood would be expected to find that a high percentage of the crop circles chosen for research were actually hoaxed, especially since even many ardent cereologists admit there are more hoaxed than "genuine" ones (Nickell 1996a; Nickell and Fischer 1992). For example, prominent cereologist Colin Andrews (2001) has conceded that 80 percent of the British crop circles are manmade; yet Levengood claims his research "suggests that over 95 percent of worldwide crop formations involve organized ion plasma vortices . . ." (Levengood and Talbott 1999).
www.csicop.org...

So our only other option is to take into consideration what has been hovering over and "surveying" the crop circles so to say. White orbs of light have been seen on a number of occasions flying over the crop circles during the day. The white orbs would slow down go directly over the crop circles and zoom off into outer space so fast one would lose sight of it instantly.

Nevertheless, many circles aficionados have begun to photograph supposed vortex effects which, curiously, resemble some of the same photographic anomalies that are the stock-in-trade of ghost hunters. For example, in her Mysterious Lights and Crop Circles, credulous journalist Linda Moulton Howe (2000, 137, 255) exhibits a flash photo taken in a crop circle that shows a bright "mysterious arch with internal structure that seems to spiral like a plasma." Unfortunately for Howe (erstwhile promoter of cattle mutilations and similar "mysteries"), the effect is indistinguishable from that caused by the camera's unsecured wrist strap reflecting the flash (Nickell 1996b). As corroborative evidence of this mundane cause, the bright strand-like shapes typically go unseen by the ghosthunter or cereologist, only appearing in their snapshots.

www.csicop.org...

top topics

join