It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Chinese General Threatens Nuclear Warfare!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
A general in the PLA is threatening the US with nuclear bombardment if it intervenes with the Taiwan situation:

China is prepared to use nuclear weapons against the US if it is attacked by Washington during a confrontation over Taiwan, a Chinese general said on Thursday.

“If the Americans draw their missiles and position-guided ammunition on to the target zone on China's territory, I think we will have to respond with nuclear weapons,” said General Zhu Chenghu.

Gen Zhu was speaking at a function for foreign journalists organised, in part, by the Chinese government. He added that China's definition of its territory included warships and aircraft.

“If the Americans are determined to interfere [then] we will be determined to respond,” said Gen Zhu, who is also a professor at China's National Defence University.

“We . . . will prepare ourselves for the destruction of all of the cities east of Xian. Of course the Americans will have to be prepared that hundreds . . . of cities will be destroyed by the Chinese.”

Rick Fisher, a former senior US congressional official and an authority on the Chinese military, said the specific nature of the threat “is a new addition to China's public discourse”. China's official doctrine has called for no first use of nuclear weapons since its first atomic test in 1964. But Gen Zhu is not the first Chinese official to refer to the possibility of using such weapons first in a conflict over Taiwan.

Chas Freeman, a former US assistant secretary of defence, said in 1996 that a PLA official had told him China could respond in kind to a nuclear strike by the US in the event of a conflict with Taiwan. The official is believed to have been Xiong Guangkai, now the PLA's deputy chief of general staff.

Source: news.ft.com...

This isn't going to be pretty...

Oct

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
However, some western governments' officials only think of eaning money from the trade with China.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I, for one, am not surprised.

Frankly, they have no other choice. If the US were to intervene, their conventional military just doesn't stand a chance against that of the US.

Their only shot is to threaten nuclear war to try and scare off the US, or if the US were to get involved to respond with nukes.

China is not the defensive country that it makes its self out to be. They want Taiwan and will try to take it by force if all else fails.

The US would be wise (in the mean time) to try and switch it's trade with China to a more friendly country with cheap labor such as India.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Odd, we just sold a crap load of weapons to Taiwan recently, a Big little under the radar arms deal, but interesting now considering this.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Odd, we just sold a crap load of weapons to Taiwan recently, a Big little under the radar arms deal, but interesting now considering this.

I must agree with this Twitchy. I guess the one's in the D.O.D. need to meet their monthly quota of arm sales. It is very interesting that the two have occured very recently and I feel the Chinese are going to take Taiwan come hell or high water. I suppose the trick is going to be in how they go about it. Since China is in the Nuclear Club, they do have a point. I read just recently one of their high level reps. stated " Would we rather protect Los Angles or Taiwan.?" Either way it goes Taiwan is going to be expendable.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 04:24 AM
link   
lets not forget USA only fights enemies weaker than itself.....pantsies

China dont even need nukes....pack the soldiers on rubber boats and send them across the ocean, USA dont have enough bullets anyway

But its good to see rightwingers here worried, if only for a moment

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I feel bad for any Chinese soldiers invading the US mainland. This country is just desperate for some real and organized enemy to turn our wrath on. Lookout China, 320 million angry gun-toting hicks on your azz!

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join