It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

past time travel and creating matter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
brainstorming here, tell me is something is wrong

timeline will go past, present, future

yet when traveling it goes
present, future, past

this to me means sumthing is wrong. maybe ud have to be traveling at a negitive speed to hit past. and to exceed light speed would be impossible. to exceed it is to be in a future that does not yet exist. to surpass the future is not possible, it leaves the bountries of time.
to travel at a speedless then zero would be traveling into the past, which to my knowledge is not possible. once ur stopped u cant go slower. because again ur leaving the bountries of time. this is one reason i believe time travel to the past is not possible.

my second reason would be, to travel back u must create matter or energy. u are made of a certian amount of mass which has come from other things previous to u. ex. u eat and apple. u go back in time u or the apple cannot exist without creating matter

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
go to howstuffworks.com check out cosmic strands itll further your knowledge and also check out the jon titor stuff... Its not to complicated of a theory.. but i wouldnt count on it happening anytime soon

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
that site didnt help much, i read a book that gave better info about cosmic strands in that, more indepth at least, i just dont understand them much

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
rather simple much like wormhole travel... if we found them it would be simple to use them there just so hard to find that we cant use them. Cosmic starnds would be limited tho because you could only go back to the time that they were created but you could travel into the feature just would need a simple vehicle to use them...

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
isnt it sumthing like two next to eachother and u travel through that space repeatedly or sumthing i dont quite remember how those things were supose to work

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   
No... howstuffworks.com explains it very well if you dont understand that then dont bother with siting around here pondering on timetravel leaveit to the pros...

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
no i didnt like it because i typed in comsic strands and got almost nothing about them just alot about other stuff that was pretty much irrelevent to what i wanted to find

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I'm still trying to grasp the concept of "negative speed" that you mentioned earlier. What exactly is THAT? It can't be sitting still (at a speed of 0 mph) or running backwards (that would simply be running at a "positive speed" in an opposite direction.)

So, what is "negative speed"??

Another thing, are you saying that if you go far enough back in time, you'd starve to death? (I mean, all the food you've eaten to date would not have existed yet...right?) As far as that goes, could you go back farther in time than when you were conceived?

[edit on 29-7-2005 by Toelint]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
what im sayin is time travel isnt possible. unless u can loop it back. but to travel back to a time that happened before the machine was created is not possible.

what im sayin is there is a set amount of energy/matter
to go back to a point where lets say the chicken u ate was still alive would mean either A:the energy u had gotten from it would leave u and go back to the chicken or B:creating matter/energy

negitive speed isnt possible. which is why time travel isnt. nothing is travelin faster then light. point blank. only other way is to create sum sort of loop.
the loop would be complicated and to me hard to understand.

future i think is of coarse possible, viewing the past, definately possible. viewing the past to clear up evolution and such yea.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
You're touching on something which I personally love to repeat, and so I shall.

One of the reasons why wormholes might not exist is because the universe exists. Let's say something can travel to the past through one. Well, let's say some energy does. Now, there's more energy in the future, so more is more likely to go back in time again, and so on and so forth. And then there's infinite energy and BAM universe is over.

The Universe isn't over, as you might have noticed.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
what im sayin is the only time travel is to the future, not back. its a one way ticket. to go back ud create energy/matter point blank.

it wouldnt do the infinity thing because i believe as soon as it goes back its in a new time frame, so when the next amount of matter comes back in will be in the past frame by lets say a second. still it is in another time frame, so the two energies do not co-exist with eachother.

if that doesnt work i believe that once u reach a certian point the previous energy that keeps coming coming back that eventually it will alter the coming back process to the point where it stops itself

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
what im sayin is time travel isnt possible. unless u can loop it back. but to travel back to a time that happened before the machine was created is not possible.

what im sayin is there is a set amount of energy/matter
to go back to a point where lets say the chicken u ate was still alive would mean either A:the energy u had gotten from it would leave u and go back to the chicken or B:creating matter/energy

negitive speed isnt possible. which is why time travel isnt. nothing is travelin faster then light. point blank. only other way is to create sum sort of loop.
the loop would be complicated and to me hard to understand.

future i think is of coarse possible, viewing the past, definately possible. viewing the past to clear up evolution and such yea.

Grim, personally, I think You're at least half-right. I don't believe in time travel at all. Of course, it's still entertaining and makes for some GREAT Sci-Fi movies, but come on!

Okay, allow me to ask this ONE question. Where in nature might you find Time Travel?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I would speculate time travel as per this physical dimension is an impossibility, but do seea possibility of creating a new timeline in a parallel dimension.

Parallel universes or parallel histories might provide a way out of the time paradox. Thus, any paradoxes can be explained by having the paradoxical events happening in a different universe. Now you know where all those clone ideas came from..hehe

Many-worlds interpretation

Next week on Mr. Wizard Goes Bananas:

Time becomes obsolete, so who needs a time machine?
Life as a non-locality, and why I am so confused in a 5d reality.

He's dead Jim! He's alive too!

[edit on 31-8-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
in my OPINION,

if time travel to the past were possible, then we would have already found UNDISPUTABLE evidence (sans titor) of a time traveler going back in time from HIS present (our future).

time travel into the future also isnt possible, becasue there are countless factors in determining the future, no matter how petty the event. there are an infinite amount of possible timelines. iow, there is no single, predetermined future.

there is of course the possiblility that these infinite timelines are EACH predetermined & exist and are occouring simultaneously. then the probelm of finding the right timeline youre in this very second arises. i like to equate it to, "it would be like finding a needle in an infinitley large pile of hay".

based off this, perhaps time travels to the past is possible, but none of us have been in the correct timeline?

[edit on 31-8-2005 by purelogik]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
future is possible because if u move at the speed of light u do not age, u do not experience any time change, no matter how long u are traveling for. so say u felt things werent high tech enough for u. travel at the speed of light for a 100 years and see how u like it, go to far and well thats too bad u shoulda known better. but anyway like i sed future yes, past no

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by inspiringyouth
go to howstuffworks.com check out cosmic strands itll further your knowledge and also check out the jon titor stuff... Its not to complicated of a theory.. but i wouldnt count on it happening anytime soon

Actually, go learn about statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics.

this to me means sumthing is wrong. maybe ud have to be traveling at a negitive speed to hit past. and to exceed light speed would be impossible. to exceed it is to be in a future that does not yet exist. to surpass the future is not possible, it leaves the bountries of time.

And before you study any of that, go brush up on some Newtonian Mechanics and modern Relativistics. Speed in simply how far you have travelled over how much time. In order to model motion, you have to choose a starting point and a finish point. For instance, if you tell your friend you want to have a race to a tree 50 feet in front of you, and you turn around and run 50 feet in the opposite direction in 5 seconds, you just travelled at negative 10 feet per second.

Holding still would not make you travel back in time. Even if every electron in your body held still and stopped spinning around their nuclei, you wouldn't travel back in time. If they started spinning the opposite direction, you wouldn't travel back in time.

In theory, if you take a lightspeed trip to another planet and you came back after eight years had passed, everyone else would have aged eight years, and you would not have aged at all. So a better way to look at it is that you don't travel to the future at all, you just stop againg while everyone else does.

[edit on 2-9-2005 by trinitrotoluene]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
time travel is possible, gotta travel around the sun, but there is still the nagging problems with the "Grandfather Paradox"

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paladin327
time travel is possible, gotta travel around the sun
care to explain?

this is just as ridiculous as "making the earth spin backwards by counter rotating it fast wnough" (a la superman)

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
This is interesting . . . Grim, I doubt you were going in this direction, but you got me to thinking about some stuff. Okay you know how there are forces in our universe, gravity, magnetism, nuclear . . . To date we can't explain them, yet we use them a lot right? You know how magnetism seems to be this infinite (well sorta) well of magnetic flux? The same with Gravity and so-on . . . Where does that come from? The answer is it comes from everywhere, or put better, every-time. Think about it! Magnetism is 3 dimensional in the space sense AND in the time-sense. This is why magnetism doesn't just stop. It is all around us, and those materials that make up the magnet are just using that energy as we travel through time. Before you all dismiss this as hooey (which it very well may be) remember that to a 2 dimensional being, a sphere looks only like a line that starts off small, then gets bigger, and smaller again as the sphere moves through the 2D world. Since we don't understand 3 dimensional time, we can only understand how certain aspects of it affect us, for instance the various forces. Hmmm . . . for that matter that may explain the big-bang, but I am getting ahead of myself.

Anyhow Grim, back to you. I once posed a similar question here at ATS about standing perfectly still, and if it was at all possible, and if so, how would that affect me in terms of time. Negative speed is incomprehensible to me though as a three dimensional being.

-P

[edit on 12-9-2005 by postings]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
just watch stargate SG-1, or a specific episode of south park. if you travel around the sun, at light speed i believe (not possible though, T of R can be disproven however)

also, i forget who said it but, Matter or energy cannot be created or destroyed

new topics

top topics

join