It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Points, Points, Points.....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
ok. SO mentioned that for the things we are trying to get changed to happened it will require taxation of points. So riddle me this and riddle me that, how is that fair to BTS?

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Still, ATS is the primary site, as we're all here because we are certain that "they" are out to get us, and the place was created for folks like us.

Also, lets not forget to include Ignorance Denied in that grouping. True, ID is not part of the partitioning of ATS topics, and is a fully independant sisterly-site, but there's a close association and confluence of members. YOu don't get any points at all for posting on IgDEn, but people go there in solid numbers.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
ok. SO mentioned that for the things we are trying to get changed to happened it will require taxation of points. So riddle me this and riddle me that, how is that fair to BTS?

What do you mean "taxation"? And why would that be neccesary? Im not opposed so long as theres a reason behind it. If the points are distributed evenly, then fine. Like a 250 a month fee for RATS. Even though that forum blows.

My problem is this. ATS is getting weak. Almost every topic has been discussed to death. Whenever a newbie starts posting, some old ATSer comes along with "This has been done to death" and thus discourages the newbie from continuing. Unless its a breaking news story the post quickly disappears or is thrown into BTS, telling the poster that their quality sucks. Its an insult. Like it or not, it is. If points were the same, people may feel differently, and may actaully post it there.

To some points are nothing, to others, its one of the reasons they stay. If its quality and people reply to it, you should be rewarded. The administrators here are shooting themselves in their own feet on this.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

Good point, Lysergic.

It's not...maybe a 'ratio equation' based on quality of individual posts.

*who's good at algebra?*

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Still, ATS is the primary site, as we're all here because we are certain that "they" are out to get us, and the place was created for folks like us.

Just to reiterate....you do know of course, that THEY are out to get us, right? Seriously...THEY are everywhere, but it's no use, as THEY already run everything....

To some points are nothing, to others, its one of the reasons they stay. If its quality and people reply to it, you should be rewarded. The administrators here are shooting themselves in their own feet on this.

You feel that:

Compliment the person above you,
or
What music do you listen to?, etc.

should be worth the same as....

A comprehensive posting, with numerous researched references, eliciting well-informed replies?

I'm not so sure it's broken... ATS seemed just fine without points...I was here before they were implemented (as many were), and it was the topics that kept me coming back, and the members.....

[edit on 15-7-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020

What do you mean "taxation"? And why would that be neccesary? Im not opposed so long as theres a reason behind it. If the points are distributed evenly, then fine. Like a 250 a month fee for RATS. Even though that forum blows.

basically, the projects would be funded via voulntary taxation of points once the upgrade/idea is decided. When enough "taxes" are raised the idea would then enter develpoment.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
Even though that forum blows.

A forum that has secret information hardly 'blows'. Its not hyper-active like some other forums on ATS, but there's lots of good information there.

My problem is this. ATS is getting weak. Almost every topic has been discussed to death

This is a problem, I don't think it makes the whole of ATS weak tho. Its just a consequence of attracting lots of inquisitive people. THe most important thing to keep in mind there is to let people know where the topic has been discussed before.

Like, rather than anyone staying' this has been covered', to actually provide the link. Whats the point otherwise, ya know? Also, re-covering topics can lead to entirely different and new discussions, what with it invovling new people and the passage of time.

If its quality and people reply to it, you should be rewarded. The administrators here are shooting themselves in their own feet on this.

But that is what happens, its just that you get even more of a reward in ATS than in the chit-chatty BTS. Also, there are applause, which are the same across the board. Thats where the big points cache can be.

Unless its a breaking news story the post quickly disappears or is thrown into BTS, telling the poster that their quality sucks

What are you talking about? I've never moved anything into BTS because of a quality issue, its allways about a content and topic issue. BTS isn't some 'wastebasket'. We have a wastebasket, its called 'deleting a thread'. We wouldn't take garbage and bother hosting it and monitoring it and working with it, we simply destroy it.

Its an insult. Like it or not, it is

Its simply not an insult to move something from ATS to BTS. I just moved a thread from Secret Societies to Video Games because the topic was about a military group in a video game and 'whether or not its real'. The member didn't complain. I explained to them in the notice that the subject isn't really about a secret society, and that its in a weird context by being in that forum. Most of the guys that post there don't know what the video game is or anything about it, and can't post anything other than 'wtf are you talking about' type responses. Its all misfires. But moveing it to BTS Video Games, the people that monitor that forum know what the games are about, and of course they're also all about conspiracy, since they're also people who originally joined ATS.
The Forum sets the context. It permits the thread to be discussed fully, rather than being viewed by some weird filter. A big example of this is the Conspiracies in Religion Forum. Lots of stuff that gets posted there isn't about any conspiracy at all, its just about a controversial religious aspect, like, for example, that Christianity is properly viewed as a Gnostic Religion. Thats not a conspiracy, and the guy posting it, he doesn't want to talk about a conspiracy, he wants to talk about peceptions and understandings and religion and theology. But thats not what people go to the Conspiracy in REligion forum for. He might get responses, but th responses will focus on conspiracy and often degenerate into a series fo clarifications and arguements, and nothing is accomplished. By moving to the BTS Religion and Spirituality, the thread has the proper context, and there are a number of really great people there who check stuff out there, and not necessarily in the Conspiracy Forum. And the result is that you can have a really incredible converstation about what it is that you are really trying to get at anyway.

Its certainly not a perfect system, but I move a heck of a lot fo threads from ATS to BTS or PTS, because that's where they really belong, and the people don't come back later saying 'my thread languishes, restore it'.

Also, this deals with the 'newcomer' issue. People that are new to the site will sometimes show up posting inthe 'hard core' conspiracy forums, but discuss it in a chit-chatty way. So they're talking about something that's already been covered, and not really even talking about the conpsiracy around it, just chatting with others about how they've reacted to it or percieved it, etc etc. So BTS is a natural place to segregate those discussions into, letting people who aren't familiar with the whole topic sort of discuss it, and then if they remain interested they can search on other threads about it and discusss the conspiracy behind it. So BTS provides a useful function in that way also.

If the threads were 'crap', we would, will, and do delete them. The board isn't under any obligation to its members to actually host everything that they say. When someone posts crap, even if its 'trying' to be topical, we delete it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join